• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Update - Recieved Commission Today.

44 posts in this topic

I waited about 12 years before T.K. came through for me, and only because I was going to confront him at NYCC. Man I loved that guys work, but looking at his art now brings sadness and disappointment to mind rather than awe and wonder.

I have had a few artists really ruin any and all of my enthusiasm for their work with their poor behavior as it relates to commissions, and that truly sucks. M.L., N.P., M.G., S.F. and a few more. (I use initials to show I have specific experiences in mind but who they are isn't the point here.) You provide them with money and support (sometimes when no one else seems to care about them or their work) and they have no respect for you as a person or consumer. But you have to move on, even as they continue to make excuses and promises for art that will never arrive.

Sorry to hear of your frustration, I hope it works out before you become soured on the artist.

I really enjoyed the show JUSTIFIED. One of my favorite Raylan Givens quotes (edited for the boards):

"If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole."

I'm sorry you're dealing with all this. Personally? I'd immediately ask for my money back. Either to spur him into action, or to just get your money back and move on.

Either way, I hope you get some resolution, soon.

Thanks for all the kind comments and support everyone! It looks like this has been finally resolved and I will be receiving my commission either Saturday or Monday. I just received an email a couple minutes ago informing me it has been sent out today. I contacted the artist again after I started this thread last week and I basically told him how I honestly felt in a lengthy email. Long story short I made peace with the artist and he sincerely apologized for everything.

I will let you all know when it arrives :)

Thanks for all the kind comments and support everyone! It looks like this has been finally resolved and I will be receiving my commission either Saturday or Monday. I just received an email a couple minutes ago informing me it has been sent out today. I contacted the artist again after I started this thread last week and I basically told him how I honestly felt in a lengthy email. Long story short I made peace with the artist and he sincerely apologized for everything.

I will let you all know when it arrives :)

Really glad to hear it worked out this way! If anything, I bet the more human and personal interaction in this piece may enhance your enjoyment of it.

If you have a commission outstanding from an artist, you probably don't want to off said artist. See Michael Golden.

If the artist has jerked you around for months, if not YEARS, and you still haven't gotten your commission, what are you really losing out on? You have nothing anyway. And if they "pull a Golden," that will only make people less likely to commission them, knowing that when the artist plays you, they'll do that when you try to let others know.

Really, it's like saying you are worried about what a criminal will do, after they've already robbed you.

All that said, it's why with the artists who run their commissions through me, no payment is made until after the piece is done (minus a few exceptions). Saves everyone a lot of trouble that way.

If you have a commission outstanding from an artist, you probably don't want to off said artist. See Michael Golden.

I believe in Golden's case he was forced to do the right thing after the collector blew him up on social media.

Including on these boards.

If the artist has jerked you around for months, if not YEARS, and you still haven't gotten your commission, what are you really losing out on? You have nothing anyway. And if they "pull a Golden," that will only make people less likely to commission them, knowing that when the artist plays you, they'll do that when you try to let others know.

Really, it's like saying you are worried about what a criminal will do, after they've already robbed you.

All that said, it's why with the artists who run their commissions through me, no payment is made until after the piece is done (minus a few exceptions). Saves everyone a lot of trouble that way.

If you don't want or expect the commission, then sure, all bets are off. But the question someone asked was why don't people name the artists.

UPDATE- Hey everyone! I received my commission today in the mail!! It was totally knocked out of the park. I couldn't be anymore happier to add this piece to my collection.

It may have taken a while to receive but in the end everything was resolved. Me and the artist are on good terms. I can really enjoy this piece now. Currently have it in my 13x19 portfolio, but probably will frame it :)