• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers/Buyers Etiquette or the lack of in recent times...

87 posts in this topic

I'm also in favor of a minimum post count... but it's just as easy to ignore the and let the threads sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Sure, it's easy for each of us individually to ignore the , but collectively they appear impossible to ignore. We prove time and time again that they won't simply sink to the bottom...even the most asinine of threads by the most asinine of sellers will have a buyer if there's a desirable book being sold. You and I can ignore them, but there will be at least one person who won't (usually a noob buyer or one of our resident wannabe dealer/flippers), and that's all it takes...which, of course enables the status quo of continued asininity, ad nauseam.

Curious what you guys would recommend the minimum post count to be. I rarely post, not just on this board but on quite a few others I am on and always thought minimum post counts were a fairly bad idea since it just causes people to post without thinking in order to get post counts up. This board also seems to be pretty lax on what people post, allowing posts of just smileys or GLWTS that help to inflate post counts.

I do think that having a time limit is pretty fair. Allow someone to join and at least show they can be logged in without making an of themselves before clicking on the B/S/T boards. Would be really good if they had to be logged in and 'active' for a certain amount of time.

The only observation that I can comfortably make is that the G/S/B forum is very active and has been for some time now (more so than I recall in my time here). It's harder to make a sale there due to competition. I would joke that it's my crappy books, but I see other good books at good prices go unsold. There have been some boner sellers lately, and as for buyers, I dunno. I'm waiting on $$$ from someone, but he's always late and that's fine. I've dealt with him before. And I think that's the important part--those of us who are frequent or common buyers and sellers know each other and are comfortable. Hopefully, the dross will get ignored.

We have a ton of debated rules and guidelines and practices, but you know, in a place like this, public shaming and running off the riff raff still works pretty well.

Now someone message me about a first appearance of Hawkeye 5.5 that I want to sell because some doctor decided that my wife needed to be put to sleep in order to have a tube stuck into her bum.

:sumo:

:tonofbricks:

:banana:

My bank account says your books are just fine sir.

Couldn't agree more with everything said above.

We're all just collectors trying to buy or sell. Have some consideration for people, and if somebody gets a great deal before you, just clap and move along.

I think a combination of length of time on the board and post count should be considered. As the above poster mentioned there are ways to inflate post counts, heck there is even a thread whose purpose recently is just to inflate their post counts. Give them a minimum of three to six months to sell on the boards and some of these "fly by night" sellers will go somewhere else.

If a thread that gives a way books can have rules, then why shouldn't threads where people sell books have rules?

I do think that having a time limit is pretty fair. Allow someone to join and at least show they can be logged in without making an of themselves before clicking on the B/S/T boards. Would be really good if they had to be logged in and 'active' for a certain amount of time.

I agree a time limit is a better idea, that stops someone for registering on the spur of the moment with the only intent to pimp out their wares (or pull a scam).

As you said, the post count metric could easily be met by a newbie entering the water-cooler and trolling one of the pompous busy-bodies that seem to make a hobby of arguing all the time without relent. :screwy:

I agree a time limit is a better idea, that stops someone for registering on the spur of the moment with the only intent to pimp out their wares (or pull a scam).

+1

Not sure what you mean, there would not be manual enforcement of the rule, it would be an automated board function (assuming the mods can set it up as such)? (shrug)

Not sure what you mean, there would not be manual enforcement of the rule, it would be an automated board function (assuming the mods can set it up as such)? (shrug)

That's a huge assumption and They are not going to do that. I am pretty sure this discussion has taken place here or in an alternate time line

There are plenty of things that go on in sales threads that make each of us a little crazy

Best bet is to report it, ignore it or discuss it in the general sales discussion thread

a length of time on the boards is also a good standard as well i think. Either way its tough to regulate alot of stuff on the innerwebz.

Who would determine what is the right amount of time? Is that also limited to buyers?

Just playing devils advocate on this as I really don't think any of this will actually happen but want people to think of things in case something actually changes

This has been discussed several times. Didn't read through all the pages but did anyone actually look at the data to say that either a time period or a post count makes sense?

Lets look at those added to the PL in 2015

AlfredP added May, time on the boards at that time was just shy of 2 years. 50 post count

Benjamin Cruz AKA Splisen added after 10 months on the boards 5 post count

HusTruck aka CGCBoy added after 1 year 5 months and 1200 posts

mikeegg added after like 5 years and 760 posts

sslim66 added after 11.5 months and 442 posts

If you ask me I don't see a correlation between time joining the boards and when they screw up. More of the issues arise from individuals not knowing the rules and posting goofy threads offering the world but not following the simple procedures.