• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mailing Golden Age comic books to Canada

12 posts in this topic

Since this is the only forum on the site I go to, I figured that adding "Golden Age" in the title would qualify the post. ;)

When I send out books that I've sold, single, or two or three, my normal SOP is to sandwich them between two pieces of corrugated cardboard and mail First Class in a 9x12 envelope.

Recently a Canadian boardie purchased a few books, and I was wondering if it would be necessary to have a customs label or whatever is used, on something packaged as described above.

Can anyone who has shipped to the GWN advise what is necessary AFA any documentation?

Packing in an envelope even if it is just going next door is the absolute best way to get broken slabs. Some boardies have pitched major temper tantrums over this. Use a box and bubble wrap.

To Canada, you can ship one to two slabs in a box as first class with the smaller customs form. Three slabs will end up going priority mail and requie the longer form. One slab runs about $15. Two slabs runs about $22. Three runs about $45 due to the priority mail charges.

Use a box and bubble wrap.

With corrugated cardboard around the books! Never skip this step. You are more likely to end up with cracked slabs, even if wrapped with bubblewrap.

Um, I think the OP is asking about shipping raw books (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Unless the books are very high grade/expensive, I've found the stiff cardboard sandwich method to be fine.

You WILL need a small customs form to mail a package to Canada, not a big deal, just ask at your local post office when you ship the package.

Hope this helps!

Um, I think the OP is asking about shipping raw books (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Unless the books are very high grade/expensive, I've found the stiff cardboard sandwich method to be fine.

You WILL need a small customs form to mail a package to Canada, not a big deal, just ask at your local post office when you ship the package.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, best answer! I wonder if I can get that form online...Have to look.

(Look at my sig, boys; no slaabs here! ;) )

Well, in looking online, apparently a "flat" (large flat envelope) weighing under 16 ounces doesn't require any external documentation for customs.

Interesting. That's news to me. I think I've always filled out the customs form even when sending a single book--not that I sell books to Canada all that often.

USPS Customs Requirements

The following sections provide details on USPS customs requirements. Please note that Stamps.com will automatically print the necessary customs forms for you. To view a table detailing the exact USPS customs requirements by destination and mailpiece, click here.

International Customs Requirements

All mailpieces sent internationally require customs forms with the following two exceptions:

First Class Letters or Large Envelopes that weigh under 16 ounces and contain only documents.

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes that weigh under 16 ounces, are no more than 3/4" thick, are uniformly thick, and contain documents only.

"The definition of a document is is a piece of paper or papers containing information."

So a loose definition might include almost any book or magazine. Or comics.

I believe the catch is that documents must be flexible, not stiff. There are different rates for "documents" vs. a "parcel", even though both may be the same weight and dimensions. If the envelope has stiff cardboard inside and "do not bend" on it, I think it is must ship at the parcel rate.

I think you can mail comics as documents but only if they are free to bend, not a good idea if the comics have value.

If the envelope has stiff cardboard inside and "do not bend" on it, I think it is must ship at the parcel rate.

At least domestically, it can ship First Class, if packaged that way.

I am going to try shipping it this way to Canada, W/O any customs forms.

If I fail and get caught by the Northwest Mounties, I'll post visiting days here! ;)

If the envelope has stiff cardboard inside and "do not bend" on it, I think it is must ship at the parcel rate.

If I fail and get caught by the Northwest Mounties, I'll post visiting days here! ;)

If you're arrested ask for a cell in northern Alberta. I'll drop by with a cup of Timmies coffee and a doughnut.

If you're arrested ask for a cell in northern Alberta. I'll drop by with a cup of Timmies coffee and a doughnut.

Are Tim Horton donuts & coffee worth getting arrested for? ;)