• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon 2005 - Dark Side Report

12 posts in this topic

Hello Folks,

I am posting this intentionally here, but did a much broader report in GA under "Wondercon 2005 Report".

As has been alluded to, I have been seen prancing through the meadows of Bronze Horror. I went to Wondercon this year fully intending to expand my pre-code horror collection and sprinkle it with pre-code crime. Well, at Wondercon I was met with, literally, the most infuriating bunch of - well - drek - I have yet to encounter. The dealers are still pricing pre-code horror as if this were the early 90's. Why, in the name of Mister Mystery, would I pay $75 or $90 or $125 for a VG or VG+ (or in some cases - honest to Goshen - a Good or Good-) plain old nothing special pre-code horror book? And this was all over Wondercon. It is like the dot-com crash never existed in San Francisco and the rents are still 50% or more of what they should be! How long is it going to take these people to realize that "well, it is pre-code horror" just doesn't cut it anymore?

It is no wonder I spend all of my Wondercon money on BA horror and got about 8 times as many books, in absoilutely beautiful condition, and with covers and stories that rival many of the pre-coders.

I think, for pre-code horror, it is back to ebay for me. Dealer prices are just too out there.

Or am I alone in this perception? frown.gif

I was at the con on Saturday and saw the same thing, lots of pre-code horror in mid grade priced REAL high. I can't imagine a lot of it selling except to someone deperate. I walked out with two Detectives ($20 for the pair) and one page of artwork (Batman Animated for $75). I was disappointed myself since I didn't find anything I wanted, but it was still fun looking. Not as many dealers this year. Why don't any of the big east coast dealers show up anymore?

Why don't any of the big east coast dealers show up anymore?

Probably because they have bigger cons to travel to. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I may rephrase that? Probably because they have more profitable cons to travel to.

Well WWLA is starting to get some recognition. We'll see how it goes this year.

I found a low Fine Fight Comics priced at $105 when OS is $75 for Fine. I told the dealer I thought it was either overgraded or overpriced. He lectured me for a while about how he was an Overstreet Advisor, market price, blah, blah, blah. I smiled and nodded. I think he realized after a while that I was perfectly willing to walk away from the book and he lowered the price.

Dealers can ask a lot for a book, but it's us buyers who are putting out the cash. On mid-grade books, it seems that any reasonable offer should be considered.

I think, for pre-code horror, it is back to ebay for me. Dealer prices are just too out there.

Or am I alone in this perception? frown.gif

You are not alone, POV!

I had very similar complaints with the dealer pricing at the 2004 Mid-Ohio Con. Sad thing was, it was the best pre-code horror selection I had seen in one place in MANY years..... but over-priced and low/mid grades.

I spent all my $$$ on BA horror instead.

Sometimes I think dealers are just too lazy to mark down the price tag.

Run of the mill pre-code horror in lower grades is not going to sell for the ridiculous prices these dealers ask for at a show..... NOT when I can get on eBay and get it for $15 - $25 give or take a few. tongue.gif

Hello Folks,

I am posting this intentionally here, but did a much broader report in GA under "Wondercon 2005 Report".

As has been alluded to, I have been seen prancing through the meadows of Bronze Horror. I went to Wondercon this year fully intending to expand my pre-code horror collection and sprinkle it with pre-code crime. Well, at Wondercon I was met with, literally, the most infuriating bunch of - well - drek - I have yet to encounter. The dealers are still pricing pre-code horror as if this were the early 90's. Why, in the name of Mister Mystery, would I pay $75 or $90 or $125 for a VG or VG+ (or in some cases - honest to Goshen - a Good or Good-) plain old nothing special pre-code horror book? And this was all over Wondercon. It is like the dot-com crash never existed in San Francisco and the rents are still 50% or more of what they should be! How long is it going to take these people to realize that "well, it is pre-code horror" just doesn't cut it anymore?

It is no wonder I spend all of my Wondercon money on BA horror and got about 8 times as many books, in absoilutely beautiful condition, and with covers and stories that rival many of the pre-coders.

Or am I alone in this perception?

I haven't attended a big show in nearly 3 years. No reason to. I go to local shows, mainly to see friends and shoot the sheet. I almost always buy off of the Internet, and have never had a problem buying books I want. What amazes me is how dealers continue to make a living by going to cons. I would have thought that ebay et al would have killed the con circuit by now.

Ebay isn't the end all for cons. A lot of people get enjoyment out of seeing all of those books in person (sort of like walking through your computer into the comics section on ebay) and being able to interact and deal with the sellers face to face. As both a dealer and collector I would have to say that people are willing to spend more money on a book they see in person than on ebay in many instances. There is an atmosphere at the bigger cons that you just don't get at some of the smaller ones or on ebay.It reflects an excitment about not knowing what your going to find, a treasure hunt if you will with no search engines just yourself, a list and a whole lot of boxes.

Ebay isn't the end all for cons. A lot of people get enjoyment out of seeing all of those books in person (sort of like walking through your computer into the comics section on ebay) and being able to interact and deal with the sellers face to face. As both a dealer and collector I would have to say that people are willing to spend more money on a book they see in person than on ebay in many instances. There is an atmosphere at the bigger cons that you just don't get at some of the smaller ones or on ebay.It reflects an excitment about not knowing what your going to find, a treasure hunt if you will with no search engines just yourself, a list and a whole lot of boxes.

This is exactly 100% right. I love that treasure hunt feel, not knowing what you'll find hidden away in some dealer's box. And you can look at the book, make sure it's in a grade you want (very important since I only buy raw books). You don't have to worry about getting sniped at the last second, or some joker upping your bid for fun... in fact, you can haggle with the dealer to LOWER the price, especially when you get a handful of books. There's no worry about the seller being a scammer, or the book getting lost or damaged in the mail. Finally, you get to meet and talk to a ton of people interested in comics, or who are creators of comics, which is a lot of fun even if you don't buy a ton of stuff.