• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Fav Drek Title?

49 posts in this topic

Hard to decide where the line is between drek & just plain undervalued... is it dollar books or can it be "stuff that can be found in dollar bins but can also sell for about cover price/slightly above", but the Ellis Stormwatch has virtually no value but is just plain amazing comics, and the Joe Casey Wildcats Vol 2 & Version 3.0 was one of my favorite titles ever.

Also, the Claremont-era Cyberforce was also awesome fun that harkened back to the stuff I loved when he was writing X-Men.

I have two favorites -

The Ostrander /Mandrake run of The Spectre. Top tier writing and art. Phenomenal covers.

The other is JSA with the return of Hawkman, Black Adam, and all that, plus some cool Alex Ross covers toward the end. Great fun end-to-end.

Both can be had by the run fairly cheap.

Tons...

Power of Shazam, which is Ordway's homage to G.A. Captain Marvels

Sojourn (Crossgen), the title that dragged me into buying Indy books

Captain America, Ron Lim's run, particularly Acts of Vengeance

Avengers, Buscema's run... skip the early 300's, and jump back in around the Hate-Monger issues onward for Palmer/Epting

Spectacular Spider-Man, anything up to Kraven's Last Hunt seems criminal to find in quarter and dollar bins. Everyone chases Amazing 194, but no one reads the Black Cat story in Spectacular...

I've figure out a few more after work...!

Any love for Sandman Mystery Theatre? Some people swear by it. I've been buying loose issues here and there, and I just can't get into them. Maybe it's the art I can't get around?

Some of my favorites have already been mentioned.

For me it's JLA/JLE from the late 80's early 90's.

One of the most fun titles I have ever read. Isn't worth a thing though.

Many of these are laugh out loud funny. Just great, fun reads. make sure you pick up the JLAntartica annual. # 4 I believe. Hysterical

Byrne Alpha Flight. :)

Anthing 80s Byrne makes me all tingly inside

Avengers, Buscema's run... skip the early 300's, and jump back in around the Hate-Monger issues onward for Palmer/Epting

One of the best Avengers eras ever.

and finally, can't enough good things about the Spectre series below

The Ostrander /Mandrake run of The Spectre. Top tier writing and art. Phenomenal covers.

I would add Rom. Some issues have some value but the majority of the run is not really worth much. Another fun read

I might get things thrown at me for saying this, but I loved the Clone Saga and even enjoyed Maximum Carnage. The little kid in me remembers reading those issues as they were coming out and I thought they were a blast. One of my good friends had a bunch of the books with the cutout covers like ASM 400 and I thought they were the coolest things ever. It is funny to think that him showing me books that were such drek as a young kid would grow me into a lifelong comic collector.

Spectacular Spider-Man, anything up to Kraven's Last Hunt seems criminal to find in quarter and dollar bins. Everyone chases Amazing 194, but no one reads the Black Cat story in Spectacular...

(thumbs u The story in 194 is awful. The Spectacular story defined and made the Black Cat.

X - Force.

dont care what anyone thinks. I was 9 or 10 when i started reading them and it was awesome to me. The whole stryfe is cable / cable is stryfe stuff was mind blowing when i was a kid

also, Deaths Head for some reason.

The Maxx

I wish this was drek! All anyone ever has for sale is multiple 1's, and maybe another issue or two between 2-12. I've been told the last half of the run would cost me if I tried to put it together. I just peeked at mycomicshop, and decided I need to find a run on craigslist...

The Maxx

I wish this was drek! All anyone ever has for sale is multiple 1's, and maybe another issue or two between 2-12. I've been told the last half of the run would cost me if I tried to put it together. I just peeked at mycomicshop, and decided I need to find a run on craigslist...

Is the asking $ on this ebay way off?

Day left, no bids: Maxx #1-35 Complete + Extras ($129.99 opener, w/$199 BIN)

- Quasar

- Squadron Supreme by Mark Gruenwald

- The Shadow (Helfer / Baker run )

- Shade the Changing Man (Milligan / Bachalo)

X - Force.

dont care what anyone thinks. I was 9 or 10 when i started reading them and it was awesome to me. The whole stryfe is cable / cable is stryfe stuff was mind blowing when i was a kid

OK but this does not change the fact they factually trashed a title, and a group of characters slowly developed and accurately crafted just to follow the momentary fad of the soon to be Image artists.

That alone, is deprecable. I was 18-19 when reading these stories, and when I started to read New Mutants #87 I believed they had kidnapped the writer and swapped her with an alien. :P