• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jessica Jones - where to start?

21 posts in this topic

I'm excited for all the buzz around the Netflix series Jessica Jones. I saw Daredevil and liked how they did that series justice. But I'm an old school Defender's guy...you know, Dr. Strange, Hulk, Subby, Valkyrie, Nighthawk, Hellcat, etc.

I know nothing of Jessica Jones and her exploits in the Defenders, so where do I start? Is there a TPB or comics to read to get some background?

Alias MAX title. This is going to be much more focused on her solo exploits as a PI than it is any sort of her Avengers/Super-heroing periods later down the line.

She also hasn't really been a Defender (none of them really have been. It's more Heroes for Hire or Mighty Avengers than anything). Marvel has kind of re-appropriated the Defenders brand and applied it place of something more similar to the Marvel Knights banner.

Alias MAX title. This is going to be much more focused on her solo exploits as a PI than it is any sort of her Avengers/Super-heroing periods later down the line.

She also hasn't really been a Defender (none of them really have been. It's more Heroes for Hire or Mighty Avengers than anything). Marvel has kind of re-appropriated the Defenders brand and applied it place of something more similar to the Marvel Knights banner.

OK, I get the H for H. I never heard such a buzz about her until Netflix. Are the Alias books good? I see there are TPBs, so I'll definitely check them out.

I think power man did a solid bit of 'defendering'

Alias is one of the best books I've read in awhile. Buy the Omnibus. You won't regret it. (thumbs u

I also think Jessica Jones has potential to be better than Daredevil. :shy:

Thanks for the recommendation. (thumbs u

Isn't Alias # 1 the issue that starts with her in bed with a naked Luke Cage?

It was shocking at the time (what--10 years ago or so)

(thumbs u

Luke Cage is in there all right!

Isn't Alias # 1 the issue that starts with her in bed with a naked Luke Cage?

It was shocking at the time (what--10 years ago or so)

She wanted to "feel something... different" with him behind her.

Alias is one of the best books I've read in awhile. Buy the Omnibus. You won't regret it. (thumbs u

I also think Jessica Jones has potential to be better than Daredevil. :shy:

+1

I picked it up in singles a few years back when I was trying to find all of Bendis' books. It was outstanding!

You won't be disappointed JazzMan.

Once you are done with Alias, it leads right into the series The Pulse. I agree, she is way better than Daredevil...

Alias is a great read. I have both of the trades reprinting the series and also the Pulse comic series. Now being a better character then Daredevil......I disagree. The show however has some huge potential. Looking forward to it.

I don't think she's a better character than Daredevil. lol

I said I think the Jessica Jones Netflix series has potential to be better than the Daredevil Netflix series. :makepoint:

I was referring to the post above mine posted by CaHookie. It is very obvious from your sig-line that Daredevil is YOUR favorite! lol I love him too, however he is my second favorite right after Spider-Man.

Alias is the series to read as others have said, it's very good, and very adult (swearing, sex, etc). It touches on a lot of serious subjects, alcoholism, abuse, relationships, etc. It's going to be an epic show, but realize if you do read the Alias series, you are reading the show.

I would assume all the major plot points from the first season of her show will come from that series. Just something to consider, if you are worried about spoilers.