• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay seller who is a horrible shipper of comics

79 posts in this topic

Tell me again why ANYONE would want to sell on ebay instead of here?

Larger audience

Many books, even after fees seem to sell for more over there

I would just accept the return plus return shipping and don't neg him. Just let it go. All it takes is one or two negatives and you can basically ruin his account; was his behavior really that bad that you want to do that?

He shipped it poorly, but accepted the mistake and offered to take the return plus pay return shipping. On a $1 comic. You admitted that you might have overreacted, so I think the fact that he is willing to refund your money/return shipping is just about all that you can ask of someone.

And he is right on the eBay shipping deal. They take 10% of any shipping the buyer pays as "final value fees" (which is absurd, but that is what eBay does), so his $3.50 was actually more like $3.15 in his pocket minus any shipping supplies. So he was probably losing overall on the transaction, before even factoring in the return.

2c

This is my problem with the whole eBay system. I purchased a lot of books off a guy. They weren't expensive comics, but the way he shipped them was awful. I messaged him and pointed it out. He offered a refund and was professional about it. I didn't feel like shipping them back though and had read a good portion of them already too.

Do I leave negative feedback? He was selling a few different lots of books. Is he going to ship them all like that? Shouldn't other sellers know?

I want to add that one can do pretty well on eBay if can weed out some of the problematic buyers. With that said, I would like to know the OP eBay handle and if he won't give it to me, there are other ways to find out.

Let me get that right ... you spent $1.00 on a book, paid $3.50 S/H which come to be $4.50 total? And then the seller purchased a postage label worth $2.72 to ship this book. Assuming that he got the bubble mailer for free (from USPS office). That is a net gain of 78 cents in all.

Now the book got dinged from poor shipping. He offered the refund $1.00 with full shipping cost back to you... after you took your time to complain over a $1.00 book? :facepalm:

Yeah, I get it. Principle of matter. The question is whatever this book is worth a lot more than $1.00?

If it isn't ... I'd let it go and not do more business with the seller with his poor shipping method. I would email the seller the advice in proper shipping and move on. Done and done. Feedback? Well, the seller did the right thing in offering you a refund in full ... so, a neutral feedback will do.

Oh, the seller was right about the eBay fees and costs. Why do you think many of us call it "Fee-Bay" ?? :makepoint:

Wait.... you blew up over a one Dollar book?

From my point of view, it's the principal of the matter be it a $1.00 book or a $1,000 book..You should pack your book(s) to minimize the risk to damage. We all know how mail packages get treated, so do your best to package the book tightly and who knows, maybe that $1.00 sale will turn into a $100, $1000 or higher sale later on because you did your best to satisfy the customer.

Just my 2c

Being neither the buyer nor the seller in this circumstance here is what I take away from this:

1. Don't bother listing $1.00 items on Ebay to avoid things like this.

2. Don't bother buying $1.00 books off Ebay

Not sure if there's a thread for this already but beware of shipping from ebay seller scottny1237. Maybe he ships multiple comics safely but when shipping a single comic, he used the least possible cardboard that was already quite beat up (not stiff) and ones that were from the corner flaps of a box so that they already bent in one direction. My comic arrived nearly folded in half. Modern VF to VG/FN. Shipping charged to me was $3.50, shipping label said $2.72. He has 100% positive fb at 980 but maybe he's slacking.

I kinda blew up on him for being so careless and maybe I overreacted but his response was to go on the defensive and complain about how expensive ebay fees are and how they take a cut of his shipping cost. So for netting a 78 cent gain on shipping he gets a post on here and possibly his first negative feedback.

I offered him explicit advice on how to properly ship a comic and tried to get him to at least admit what he did was wrong and to at least agree that he won't ship comics so poorly anymore but he kept complaining how rude I was to him and doesn't appear he will do things any differently.

He has offered to accept a return ($1) and even pay for return shipping (hardly worth my time) but if he's going to keep ruining comics like this, I feel like people on here and on ebay should be aware of his carelessness with their purchases and that NM comic they purchased has little chance of arriving in the same condition. BTW, he witheld feedback so he threatened to neg me if I neg him. I'd be ok with a neg as a buyer if it at least warned others of his poor shipping practices. Ah well, maybe this will be an early friday thread. (shrug)

6NHuoxL.gif ...on a Friday. :cloud9:

Not sure if there's a thread for this already but beware of shipping from ebay seller scottny1237. Maybe he ships multiple comics safely but when shipping a single comic, he used the least possible cardboard that was already quite beat up (not stiff) and ones that were from the corner flaps of a box so that they already bent in one direction. My comic arrived nearly folded in half. Modern VF to VG/FN. Shipping charged to me was $3.50, shipping label said $2.72. He has 100% positive fb at 980 but maybe he's slacking.

I kinda blew up on him for being so careless and maybe I overreacted but his response was to go on the defensive and complain about how expensive ebay fees are and how they take a cut of his shipping cost. So for netting a 78 cent gain on shipping he gets a post on here and possibly his first negative feedback.

I offered him explicit advice on how to properly ship a comic and tried to get him to at least admit what he did was wrong and to at least agree that he won't ship comics so poorly anymore but he kept complaining how rude I was to him and doesn't appear he will do things any differently.

He has offered to accept a return ($1) and even pay for return shipping (hardly worth my time) but if he's going to keep ruining comics like this, I feel like people on here and on ebay should be aware of his carelessness with their purchases and that NM comic they purchased has little chance of arriving in the same condition. BTW, he witheld feedback so he threatened to neg me if I neg him. I'd be ok with a neg as a buyer if it at least warned others of his poor shipping practices. Ah well, maybe this will be an early friday thread. (shrug)

What is your eBay handle so we can all block you?

This thread should be a roast of how pathetic you are.

geez, please do all sellers a favor and don't buy anything else on ebay. It's guys like you that make us want to throw in the towel. Yes, the packing methods you mentioned were irresponsible, but dude, sending him angry harassing messages for charging you a flat fee of $3.50, 72 cents more than actual shipping cost...really?? You realize ebay/paypal takes 13% off the top in shipping fees right? In regards to the damaged comic, sounds like he was great about offering a refund, but you still kept harassing him?? Please post you ebay user id so we can add you to our blocked buyer lists

Please post you ebay user id so we can add you to our blocked buyer lists

I have a feeling this statement will be the consensus.

And don't you Americans have to pay tax on domestic shipments? Up here we do and that amount is not part of the price on the label.

I agree that you should treat a $1 book like a $1000 book. As a seller it is the responsibility to get a book out in the condition advertised. However accidents happen. This is the way of life. The seller did not give the buyer a hard time. The seller made good on an accident.

For this he should be eternally bashed?

Nah...

I would just accept the return plus return shipping and don't neg him. Just let it go. All it takes is one or two negatives and you can basically ruin his account; was his behavior really that bad that you want to do that?

He shipped it poorly, but accepted the mistake and offered to take the return plus pay return shipping. On a $1 comic. You admitted that you might have overreacted, so I think the fact that he is willing to refund your money/return shipping is just about all that you can ask of someone.

And he is right on the eBay shipping deal. They take 10% of any shipping the buyer pays as "final value fees" (which is absurd, but that is what eBay does), so his $3.50 was actually more like $3.15 in his pocket minus any shipping supplies. So he was probably losing overall on the transaction, before even factoring in the return.

2c

This is my problem with the whole eBay system. I purchased a lot of books off a guy. They weren't expensive comics, but the way he shipped them was awful. I messaged him and pointed it out. He offered a refund and was professional about it. I didn't feel like shipping them back though and had read a good portion of them already too.

Do I leave negative feedback? He was selling a few different lots of books. Is he going to ship them all like that? Shouldn't other sellers know?

Sadly, I feel like that is the norm with eBay (poor packing), especially on cheaper books. I personally wouldn't leave a negative, unless the guy wouldn't accept a return after he damaged them from poor packing, or if it was some kind of a scam. I feel like if you buy from someone, they refund if there is a problem, and then you don't buy from them again -- sooner or later, word gets around and the market takes care of itself and their books will sell for less once people realize they are overgrading/poorly packing/etc.

I guess if people left negative feedback that could help speed up the process, but since eBay absolutely kills you as a seller if you get more than a few negatives, I would feel bad ruining a guy's business like that. Easier to just not buy from them again.