• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the assigned grade: X-men #94 (black books are hard)

18 posts in this topic

Thanks guys. Just what I thought, and I really wanted some confirmation. The spine looks great for a black book and the back looks really nice. Seems like a 7.0 to 7.5 in person too. I got to compare it to some other X94s in the slab when I bought it and it was definitely better than a 6.5, but not as nice as an 8.0.

But would you believe that it is actually graded a CGC 6.0? I can't figure that out! When I bought it I was shopping for a 7.0 to 8.0, but I couldn't turn it down even though I felt it was in the wrong slab because it was a bargain for the assigned grade (6.0). I have a Giant Size X-men #1 that is currently at CGC being graded in the 7.0 range, and I kind of want to match a set.

I'm thinking of cracking it out and having it regraded. The market value of a 7.0 is only about $65 higher than a 6.0, so theoretically, I might spend just as much getting it graded as the market value I'll gain by regarding it. Understand I have no desire to sell it. If it did pull a 7.5, I guess I'd win. Unless I also spent the money to have it pressed.

So, would you have it regraded?

Thanks guys. Just what I thought, and I really wanted some confirmation. The spine looks great for a black book and the back looks really nice. Seems like a 7.0 to 7.5 in person too. I got to compare it to some other X94s in the slab when I bought it and it was definitely better than a 6.5, but not as nice as an 8.0.

But would you believe that it is actually graded a CGC 6.0? I can't figure that out! When I bought it I was shopping for a 7.0 to 8.0, but I couldn't turn it down even though I felt it was in the wrong slab because it was a bargain for the assigned grade (6.0). I have a Giant Size X-men #1 that is currently at CGC being graded in the 7.0 range, and I kind of want to match a set.

I'm thinking of cracking it out and having it regraded. The market value of a 7.0 is only about $65 higher than a 6.0, so theoretically, I might spend just as much getting it graded as the market value I'll gain by regarding it. Understand I have no desire to sell it. If it did pull a 7.5, I guess I'd win. Unless I also spent the money to have it pressed.

If the book is a keeper I'd leave as is. Why waste the money to regrade it? The book has Great Eye Appeal especially for the Grade. Save the money you'd spend regrading it and buy some other books!!

If the book is a keeper I'd leave as is. Why waste the money to regrade it? The book has Great Eye Appeal especially for the Grade. Save the money you'd spend regrading it and buy some other books!!

Agreed. If you aren't selling it, I wouldn't have it graded in the first place. A book looks much nicer in a mylar and you can take it out and look at it and heaven forbid, read it.

Nice book, btw.

I have an interesting follow-up. I was looking at the book again tonight, and I figured out what the deal is. When I tilted it up to the light, there is a fold in the cover. Like a subscription crease that doesn't remove any cover inks, but very light. It will easily press out. I know what I should do now. :)

Still not sure I understand why you would go through the process at all if you intend on keeping it-- short of building a CGC graded collection. If you do decide to crack it out, please do some scans and add them here prior to sending it off.

I was thinking about 7.5 maybe 8.0 but really tough to tell with the pictures provided. Even the spine picture was hard to tell what was going on.

anyway-- good luck whatever you decide to do.