• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those wonderful featurettes from our beloved comic book productions

61 posts in this topic

Studios at times add fantastic featurettes to make it even more tempting to purchase that Blu-Ray or DVD release. What's one that really impressed you and showed how much the cast and crew invested into making a great production (TV or movie)?

Batman Begins kicking off the Nolan trilogy is definitely high on my list. So here is the 'Making of Batman Begins'.

Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight #3 (with Tim Burton, Sam Hamm, Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger, Jenette Kahn, and Bob Kane).

THE LEGEND REBORN!

Shares how the Batman (1989) movie was massively advertised, the impact that came from the movie, and how theaters were being mobbed prior to opening people were so excited to see it.

Shadows Of The Bat The Cinematic Saga Of The Dark Kinight Pt 4 (with Tim Burton, Daniel Waters, Michael Keaton, Danny Devito, and Michelle Pfeiffer).

DARK SIDE OF THE KNIGHT!

How the excitement and impact of the first movie led to Batman Returns.

Another series of videos from the Batman 1989 DVD featurette disc.

Legends of the Dark Knight: The History of Batman

Including Stan Lee, Harlan Ellison, Kevin Smith, Frank Miller, Denny O'Neil and many others.

Oh, I think I'm gonna like this thread!

Yeah, Shadows of the Bat was a great series.

1-3 can be found on the 2-disc Batman DVD.

4 (Dark Side of the Night) on Batman Returns.

5 (Reinventing a Hero) on Batman Forever.

6 (Batman Unbound) on Batman & Robin.

Once these discs price crashed to $4 at Walmart last year, I finally bought Batman & Robin just for all the documentaries and director's commentary. Worth every penny just hear how the director had no power of developing the movie (the toy companies did!).

Being a descendant of one of the biggest serial killers of the 20th century, I always was interested in the forensics went into investigating and capturing them.

From Hell's 2-disc set gave us a slew of docs of Jack The Ripper!

"Jack the Ripper: 6 Degrees of Seperation" an interactive investigation.

"A View From Hell" HBO special

"Tour of the Murder Sites"

and so much more!

One of the best reasons to collect DVD's at the time.

The 3 documentaries to the groundbreaking Superman: The Movie are absolute must sees for folks who want to see the behind-the-scenes of an impossible production in the mid-70's that was brought to life.

Taking Flight: The Development of Superman

Making Superman: The Filming of a Legend

The Magic Behind The Cape

then you have Superman II: Restoring the Vision which in my opinion was better than the actual Donner Cut.

The 3 documentaries to the groundbreaking Superman: The Movie are absolute must sees for folks who want to see the behind-the-scenes of an impossible production in the mid-70's that was brought to life.

Taking Flight: The Development of Superman

Making Superman: The Filming of a Legend

The Magic Behind The Cape

then you have Superman II: Restoring the Vision which in my opinion was better than the actual Donner Cut.

Great recommendations. I don't think I've seen all three of these featurettes.

The making of The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec gave this New Hamshire fella a better understanding of her French comic origins, that helped me propel into her first outing with a rich knowledge of her past and what was to come.
Like Adele Blanc-Sec, I had absolutely no knowledge of where Snowpiercer was gonna go and was worried I wouldn't "get it", so I watched the doc "The Birth of Sowpiercer" and became immediately aware of it's history. Not your standard Hollywood puff featurette either. (thumbs u

The only reason to own the Catwoman disc is the documentary "The Many Faces of Catwoman" hosted by Eartha Kitt. It provides a better view of the history and shows directions the movie should have went.

I was gonna say that one next ^

The Conan reboot had a fascinating one called "The Conan Legacy" with the whole history of the character, then had another called "Robert E. Howard-The Man who would Be Conan" giving us a poignant glimpse of his troubled creator. It was unforgettable.

Then there was an interesting retrospective doc on the 1982 original called "Conan Unchained: The making of Conan". A must for fans of the original. I loved it!

Ahhhh... Then there was Dredd.

Mega-City Masters: 35 Years of Judge Dredd

Day of Chaos: The Visual Effects of Dredd 3D

Dredd Featurette

Dredd's gear

The 3rd Dimension

Welcome To Peach Trees

Dredd Motion Comic prequel

It felt like the featurettes went on and on and on. I almost hoped they would never stop.