• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Questions

48 posts in this topic

I got to agree with Ciorac on the invulnerability/immortality

Lovely Rita

Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, Durante Alighieri

All three are huge influences on me; but Adams would bring the party, Asimov would bring the ideas, and Alighieri would bring the rebellion :devil:

Great stuff love these!!

1. Toss up but flight with supersonic capability if needed and the ability to survive in those uninhabitable conditions such as deep space

2. Not to sound like a broken record but In My life!! it's tops from the Rubber Soul album. One of the great short little piano solos and the lyrics and chord progressions are simply moving

3. My Grandma Michaelina she was one of the greatest women I ever knew and my God could she cook her Veal parmigiana was literally to die for!! I would give anything to play 500 Rummy with her again!! My little sister Marisa who passed in 2008 at the young age of 23. I was only a year older than her and I miss her so much!! we had our yearly benefit this weekend to raise money for the American Diabetes Association and many great memories were shared. It was the first time I got to bring my kids and they enjoyed listening to the live bands. She was always the center of the party. Finally Axl Rose...yes Axl Rose!!! Guns N Roses fan 4 Life!! I would want him to scream a big ol Welcome to greet all the would be party goers!!

1. the ability to control the minds of others ( professor X )

2. Yesterday

3. Marilyn Monroe, Scarlett Johansson, Christie Brinkly all at age 20. The fun we would all have ( I might need that ability in question 1. )

Speed!

Here, There and Everywhere.

Bill Murry, Katherine The Great, and I love the Ben Franklin idea so I'm stealing it.

Go ahead and pick somebody else. You can come to my party and meet him.

That's fair. Leonardo Da Vinci.

1. Toss up between Teleporter, Mind Reader, Time traveler.

2. Let It Be

3. Jesus, Gator, Jack Kirby

we'd have never had the sermon on the mount had g.a.tor been there. we'd be talking about that blown call against nebraksa, instead.

In the Strugatsky brothers short novel Roadside Picnic the protagonist finds that the alien equivalent of discarded coke cans enables him to perform miracles. His first wish? "Peace and happiness for all!"

So my super power would be to perform miracles [minus the Jesus complex].

All you need is love.

T.E. Lawrence

Werner Herzog

Sir Richard Burton

1. Toss up between Teleporter, Mind Reader, Time traveler.

2. Let It Be

3. Jesus, Gator, Jack Kirby

we'd have never had the sermon on the mount had g.a.tor been there. we'd be talking about that blown call against nebraksa, instead.

lollol

1. I would like to have the super power to be irresistible to ALL beautiful women...

2. I have 2...Ticket to Ride and Help!...Help is impressive in that as I'm aging I don't feel like I once did, and so I can see a time where I'll have to slowly rely on others more. Lennon totally got this, and he wrote Help when he was 25 years old! How many 25 year olds think of these things and are able to write about it with such depth and feeling...

3. John Lennon, Jack Kirby, and John Coltrane...

I forgot to answer the "why" for #3:

Lennon-he wrote so many incredible songs that meant a lot to me...his songs spoke to me more than McCartney's. I don't even want to think about a world where Lennon never existed.

Kirby-the GREATEST comic book artist EVER! THE KING! Nuff' said..

Coltrane-an absolutely brilliant musician who was able to evoke deep feelings/emotions/moods without words via the notes he played on his sax...the tenderness in his delivery, especially in his ballads would make my heart ache and long...

1. None, thank you. Watchmen probably more accurately described the eventual mental state of people with super powers than I'd like to believe.

2. Without any hesitation (and this version).

3. Other than passed family members, Ray Bradbury, Carl Barks and Carl Sagan - three people who helped make me who I am (it's their fault, not mine) and who I never met. If one of them can't be there, Richard Feynman.

1. Total agreement with AJD. This is especially true with regard to immortality, which has to be more of a curse than a blessing.

2. When I'm Sixty-Four. My wife and I used to look to the future and ask each other that question. Now we have had to modify it to When I'm Eighty-Four and it is more poignant than ever!

3. Carl Barks, Thomas Jefferson, and Lao Tzu. A trio of great intellects and philosophers who shaped my thinking and perspective of the world.

Fun thread whadda ya think? Very insightful to the boardies who have the guts to post here. We have all gotton to know each other a little better. I have found that most boardies seem to be a little more sedate in the musical part. Not many rockers like myself. But that's cool as I appreciate the ballads too. The party guests is always a real mixed bag. I really like the people who would rather have members of their families there. The superpowers are always fun. Some of the ones posted were ones I might consider changing for myself. Anybody have another list of "3 questions" they want to try?

Fun thread whadda ya think? Very insightful to the boardies who have the guts to post here. We have all gotton to know each other a little better. I have found that most boardies seem to be a little more sedate in the musical part. Not many rockers like myself. But that's cool as I appreciate the ballads too. The party guests is always a real mixed bag. I really like the people who would rather have members of their families there. The superpowers are always fun. Some of the ones posted were ones I might consider changing for myself. Anybody have another list of "3 questions" they want to try?

Sure, I'll give it a shot. It was a great idea for a thread. But I wouldn't assume too much when folks fail to invite family members to their parties (families have differing tastes and awkward parties aren't much fun).

Since I used John Lennon as my focus on Beatle's music I'll take his cue from Yoko's art exhibition that resulted in their relationship. In an interview way back when, John stated that he climbed a ladder set-up at a modern art exhibition to read a small word posted on the ceiling. That word was "YES" and the exhibit was designed by Yoko. He went on to say that if it had read "NO" or something negative he probably would've left the exhibit and that would've been the end of it. But having read the word "YES" it struck him as something meaningful and he wanted meet the artist. Folks have debated the irony of this event ever since as the relationship between John & Yoko supposedly hastened the end of the Beatles.

So, assuming that the message was "NO" as the basis for a series of questions might provide even more insight into how our friendly neighborhood board brethren think. Note: The difference between an "A" side and a "B" side is that the flip side is occasionally better. ;)

1.) If you were a Super Hero what power would you NOT want to have?

2.) Quickly without thinking about it, What is your LEAST favorite Beatles song?

3.) If you were to have a party at your house, what three people (living or dead) or types of people would you NOT want to be there and why?

My answers:

1. The Spleen from Mystery Men (apologies in advance to Gator)

2. Revolution 9 (one of the Beatle's least catchy tunes)

3. THE Donald, (serious party pooper), anyone underage (there will be alcoholic beverages imbibed, *hic!*), haters in general (talibangelicals, wing-nuts, racists, etc.)

OK, I'll bite. Great twist here, Now assuming there are no wrong answers and this should be done quick without a lot of thinking (just honest gut reaction) Here's what I got

1.) Immortality. Might sound good at first but to live forever seeing all your friends go and the fact that it would probably just get real boring. (plus I've read a lot of comic book stories...)

2.) Yesterday. Might be an unpopular choice, but it is a real droner to me. Always reminded me of something my parents would like. Kinda sad and pathetic.

3.) Adolf Hitler, Osama bin Laden and Mark David Chapman. The "party" would probably be over quick...

1) I think Immortality would be the worst fate. You could do a lot of good with it, but to never be able to die would be the pits.

2) "Do You Want to Know a Secret"

3) Fred Phelps, Ted Haggard, and Osama bin Laden. Reasoning is kind of the opposite of the question posed before.

1) The 60's Captain Marvel powers where his arms could pop off and go do their thing, his legs could pop off and go another direction, and his head could pop off and fly. Just silly.

2) ob-la-di, ob-la-da

3) Pol Pot, Ed Gein, Jim Jones

1) Matter Eater Lad

2) The Long and Winding Road

3) Syd Vicious (might have thought he was the life of the party, but was probably just a drunk jerk with out a lot to say), John Terry (same reason), any "real housewives" (think they should be the focus of the party but are just vapid).

ones I would not want:

1) 13th bulletproof. The first 12 pierce, but the 13th bounces right off!

2) Good Morning

3) Do I have to narrow it down to 3? lol

I guess Hitler is a given, Stalin is even worse in many respects, and of course Vlad Tappish AKA the real Dracula. The party would end in Impaling! :fear: :fear: :fear:

ones I would not want:

1) 13th bulletproof. The first 12 pierce, but the 13th bounces right off!

2) Good Morning

3) Do I have to narrow it down to 3? lol

I guess Hitler is a given, Stalin is even worse in many respects, and of course Vlad Tappish AKA the real Dracula. The party would end in Impaling! :fear: :fear: :fear:

Here are the ones I'd pass on:

1) Super sense of smell. Pure hell whenever someone farts in an elevator.

2) Yellow Submarine

3) Madame Delphine LaLaurie, Di¢k Cheney, Walter Palmer (because he'd probably kill all my pets, if I had any)