• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chucks latest tranparent money grab

43 posts in this topic

Then, as so often happens, my phone rang. On the line was a comics dealer friend of mine from a distant state. He told me a sad tale of needing an immediate $30,000 in order to follow through on plans he had made to move one of his stores into a new, much larger location. He had already signed a lease on this new location when the financing that was intended to pay for the move from his old location fell through on him without warning. Given his now desperate situation, he offered over the phone to sell me the very best 100,000 back issue comics that he owned, including a large number of old Silver Age comics, if I! could provide him with $30,000 over the next five weeks.

thats the setup... heres the punchline... (to the reader)

.....Thank you, once again, for putting up with this extra newsletter during this week. Were it not for the fact that I have this unique opportunity to create a win-win situation for both the seller, and for all of you, by putting together this special one-week promotion, I wouldn't have bothered you. But given that through a single e-mail that I could both get my friend out of a real jam, while also providing you with a chance to pick up some back issues at ridiculously low prices, it seemed like a good thing to do for everyone involved. Please have a good time shopping!

Happy collecting!

Chuck Rozanski,

No mention of the huge windfall he will make on the books himself.

Chuck wants to be perceived as a "hero" for buying 100,000 of the best Silver Age comics owned by a "dealer friend of mine" for 30 cents apiece. Hey Chuck - - why not LOAN your buddy the lousy 30K and let him survive in business without raping the sorry fool for mistakenly asking YOU for help... Or offer to buy 30,000 of his 100K books for a dollar apiece instead of stealing them for pennies apiece?? His BEST Silver Age books MUST be worth at least a couple bucks each, right? Cant you settle for a measly 100% profit?

He's asking you for HELP, not a fleecing on top of his other current misfortunes.

I see your point but I guess Chuck could have said no and the guy would have been screwed. The sharks would circle at that point and there will be nothing left. You have to think that half of this stuff might never sell. He must have tons of cr@p that have been sitting as dead inventory in storage for years. Just think of all the 90's drek that must make up those 30,000 issues. confused-smiley-013.gif

I see your point but I guess Chuck could have said no and the guy would have been screwed. The sharks would circle at that point and there will be nothing left. You have to think that half of this stuff might never sell. He must have tons of cr@p that have been sitting as dead inventory in storage for years. Just think of all the 90's drek that must make up those 30,000 issues. confused-smiley-013.gif

Who wants to bet there is no friend

I looked through his entire CGC list, and even at 20% off on top of 50% off, nothing was even close to a bargain.

Chuck can be expensive but why does he get bashed everytime and sites like Metro (not picking on them, Metro just come to mind) never do? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Both sites have great selection but I find Metro's prices to be bordering outrageous.

I looked through his entire CGC list, and even at 20% off on top of 50% off, nothing was even close to a bargain.

Chuck can be expensive but why does he get bashed everytime and sites like Metro (not picking on them, Metro just come to mind) never do? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Both sites have great selection but I find Metro's prices to be bordering outrageous.

Because if you do, Vinny will remind you that THE WHEELS ARE IN MOTION!!! 27_laughing.gif

Both sites have great selection but I find Metro's prices to be bordering outrageous.

And MH's aren't?

I made a blog post just for you (okay, not really, but it gets to the heart of what you're saying)...

"Chuck v. Metropolis: The Reckoning"

is that price for an ASM #1 in F- for 1800 on metropolis legit? sorry, it was the first thing i saw...

and that ink job on the cover you did looks great btw

Both sites have great selection but I find Metro's prices to be bordering outrageous.

And MH's aren't?

I made a blog post just for you (okay, not really, but it gets to the heart of what you're saying)...

is that price for an ASM #1 in F- for 1800 on metropolis legit? sorry, it was the first thing i saw...

It was last year when I did that list.

and that ink job on the cover you did looks great btw

Thanks. It's at the colorist right now 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, here's hoping he (or she) doesn't blow away all my work 27_laughing.gif

And MH's aren't?

Never said that MH's were cheap, nice blog btw. I just know that some of the stuff (a raw GA book for example) was listed for almost double of what a slabbed copy was going for and they were the same grade. Also, I saw a few early Avengers issues that were a few hundred dollars more than basically any other site/EBay that I could find.

It was last year when I did that list.

yes. but the price you're showing for Metropolis is 1800 and MH is 11000. that's quite a difference, but not altogether out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks. It's at the colorist right now 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, here's hoping he (or she) doesn't blow away all my work 27_laughing.gif

you're welcome. now that you've broached the possibility of disaster, expect a phone call any day now. it's strange how that seems to happen that way

Then, as so often happens, my phone rang. On the line was a comics dealer friend of mine from a distant state. He told me a sad tale of needing an immediate $30,000 in order to follow through on plans he had made to move one of his stores into a new, much larger location. He had already signed a lease on this new location when the financing that was intended to pay for the move from his old location fell through on him without warning. Given his now desperate situation, he offered over the phone to sell me the very best 100,000 back issue comics that he owned, including a large number of old Silver Age comics, if I! could provide him with $30,000 over the next five weeks.

thats the setup... heres the punchline... (to the reader)

.....Thank you, once again, for putting up with this extra newsletter during this week. Were it not for the fact that I have this unique opportunity to create a win-win situation for both the seller, and for all of you, by putting together this special one-week promotion, I wouldn't have bothered you. But given that through a single e-mail that I could both get my friend out of a real jam, while also providing you with a chance to pick up some back issues at ridiculously low prices, it seemed like a good thing to do for everyone involved. Please have a good time shopping!

Happy collecting!

Chuck Rozanski,

No mention of the huge windfall he will make on the books himself.

Chuck wants to be perceived as a "hero" for buying 100,000 of the best Silver Age comics owned by a "dealer friend of mine" for 30 cents apiece. Hey Chuck - - why not LOAN your buddy the lousy 30K and let him survive in business without raping the sorry fool for mistakenly asking YOU for help... Or offer to buy 30,000 of his 100K books for a dollar apiece instead of stealing them for pennies apiece?? His BEST Silver Age books MUST be worth at least a couple bucks each, right? Cant you settle for a measly 100% profit?

He's asking you for HELP, not a fleecing on top of his other current misfortunes.

don't want to be nit-picking here but the note said; 100,000 of his best BACK ISSUE comics, including a large number of silver age. that truly is a far cry from 100,000 of the best Silver Age comics........... grin.gif........and may put this all in a different perspective...........

And MH's aren't?

Never said that MH's were cheap, nice blog btw. I just know that some of the stuff (a raw GA book for example) was listed for almost double of what a slabbed copy was going for and they were the same grade. Also, I saw a few early Avengers issues that were a few hundred dollars more than basically any other site/EBay that I could find.

So you have a handful of examples of books that are, at most, two times the "going" rate on Metro. MH regularly prices books five or more times the going rate. Look at the first item on that list...

Amazing Spider-Man #1 MH: CGC FN 6.0 $11000.00 Metro: FN- $1800

That's not a typo, MH's price is 6.1 times the Metro price for a book in comparable grade. That ASM #1 was originally price $16632.25, by the way (for more on the "lowering" of their prices, check this post.)

Here's another one:

Brave and the Bold #28 VG MH: $3465 Metro: $654.50

That's 5.29 times the price at Metro for the same grade.

I'm not saying Metro is cheap (I practically wept when I saw the prices on their Church "Judy of the Jungle" Excitings,) but to compare them, to compare ANYONE to MH in terms of pricing isn't really fair.

Maybe the F- is for a Fair minus copy? Because no way in hell did Metro offer an AF15 in Fine anything for under 2 grand last year.

Current guide for an Amazing Spider-Man #1 (not AF15) in FN is $2550, what was it last year? $2400? That's not so outrageous a discount for the "minus."