• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little confused on CGC restoration grading scale.

4 posts in this topic

According to CGC'c definition, "5" level or "extensive" restoration can include a whole cover or interior pages being replaced. Well, shouldn't that absolutely be noted on any CGC purple label? Example- look at the Adventure Comics 40 4.5 B-5 in the upcoming Heritage auction. The book looks nice to me, but I surely wouldn't want it if it has entire pages replaced,. The label does not even hint at such, though. Guidance, anyone? Thanks.

I'm not sure what the point of confusion is. If there was an entire page replaced it would be noted on the label. But the work listed ( here ) is enough to get B-5 on its own. Not every extensive book has to have all of the things done that fit under that level. The same way that staple reinforcement or colour touch can both get a level 1 rating, and either one will get you a purple on its own.

Restoration Grading Scale

I intended to get the books that restoration can be removable. It depends on how much restoration and conservation repairs have done on the books. If it has a small professional color touch, small piece(s) added or tear/spine resealed, they are removable easily and can be back to the original condition.

However, the books are extremely rare and high value. I will accept them.

You can always look at the link or call CGC customer service especially CCS - they are specialized in restoration and conservation and you will fully explained. CCS is affiliated with CGC. Contact them - More information about the restoration and others.

I'm not sure what the point of confusion is. If there was an entire page replaced it would be noted on the label. But the work listed ( here ) is enough to get B-5 on its own. Not every extensive book has to have all of the things done that fit under that level. The same way that staple reinforcement or colour touch can both get a level 1 rating, and either one will get you a purple on its own.

I've always thought that their "Restoration includes" language is a little confusing because, read literally, it seems to mean that there may be some restoration that isn't listed. In practice, though, I think they list everything of significance on the label. I've never heard of anyone cracking a PLOD and finding that any important resto hadn't been noted on the label.