• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which grade allows a 1/4" tear?

37 posts in this topic

I bought a comic recently that is going to have its grade based on a 1/4" tear at the top edge. I couldn't find anything on cover tears in the Overstreet grading guide. 6.0 allows a 1/4" spine split, but I wasn't sure if a tear on the cover is different.

I bought a comic recently that is going to have its grade based on a 1/4" tear at the top edge. I couldn't find anything on cover tears in the Overstreet grading guide. 6.0 allows a 1/4" spine split, but I wasn't sure if a tear on the cover is different.

If the rest of the book is a 10.0 and the tear is clean, relatively unobtrusive, and was not caused by the production process, I'd probably grade it at 9.0. Any other minor, visible defects on the book would drop it down to at least 8.5.

If it's a production tear, then probably no higher than 9.2 on an otherwise perfect book.

It could be as high as 9.0 if the book was otherwise a killer copy (9.4/9.6+).

Most likely though if it was just a VF to VFNM copy then the grade drop would probably be 1 full point (VF to FVF etc...).

Really need to see the whole book... gossip.gif

I have a book with a 1/8" tear on the cover that probably dropped the grade a half (.5). 1/4"? Probably a full grade deduction, like A said. It may get a 5.5 since it's mid-grade already.

A spine split is completely different. CGC and I both grade spiner sdplits harshly.

If the rest of the book is a 10.0 . . .

I know this is a theoretical approach, but since when has "the rest of the book" been a 10.0 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

hi.gif

The highest grade I could find in the OS grading guide with a "tear" and not "slight tear" was a 4.5. I had to go through the pictures with descriptions. 732400-Image001.tif010.jpg

that's VERY interesting and i hope others chime in here. am surprised that the first mention of a Tear is in such a low grade (i need to get me one of these new grading guides - i still have the original with just B&W pics........). one has to ask oneself, if this book didn't have the acidic odor, abraded corners, chip, stain, pencil mark, oxidation shadows, would it grade higher - of course.

but i believe that there are some specific defects that limit a book to a specific grade. question really is, all else being A-OK, what does a 1/4 inch tear do to a books grade. FFB's opinion of about a full point drop sound about right to me, but i don't know for sure......... confused.gif

If the rest of the book is a 10.0 and the tear is clean, relatively unobtrusive, and was not caused by the production process, I'd probably grade it at 9.0. Any other minor, visible defects on the book would drop it down to at least 8.5.

If it's a production tear, then probably no higher than 9.2 on an otherwise perfect book.

Nevertheless, I agree with this assessment regardless of the starting point above 7.0. A 1/4" tear in my opinion is allowable on a FN 6.0 along with other minor defects, such as a 1" corner crease. Accumulation of defects will always render a book lower.

BB, I did find "slight" and "small" tear up to 6.5, but they do not get specific like they do with chunks aka 1/4" triangle or 1/8" square, as it is very vauge.

well, you piqued my curiosity. what does it say about a 1/4 inch triangular chunk???

or any other size for that matter........???

I believe that the grading guide states in its introduction to the visual grading scale that the books pictured are examples of specimen which have a random accumulation of defects adding up to the resulting grade and that its grade descriptions are not all inclusive for every case but rather totals of defects and appropriate ranges for said defects. In some cases like missing pieces they apply a ceiling to the grade but this may not be the same for a tear. If this book was flawless except for the tear we might be talking about 7's, 8's maybe more. Perhaps if the book is graded without the tear and then taking that grade and adding the tear, as the final detractor to it, would be an easier way to come to a total grade. I doubt that a perfect book would immediatley be dropped to a 6.5 because of a tear measuring 1/4inch. I may be wrong. If anyone has any info to the contrary please post as I am interested to hear what the professionals have to say.

BB and I are talking "chunks" now, and 5.0 has no mention of "chunks" out of the cover(front or back). 4.0 does mention "chunks", so if the rest of the book were tight, according to the grading guide, it would be allowed the .5 extra. Just how I interpret it. thumbsup2.gif

It says 1/4" triangle or 1/8" square chunk missing, not dangling-4.0 max.

Burntboy's copy of FF#2 has a bigger chunk than that missing, but is very high grade apart from that. It graded out at a 6.5 FN+.