• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are signature series worth getting and should artists charge more for CGC book?

427 posts in this topic

I had three auctions end last night for disappointing prices on some pretty key books, so maybe.

In one case, a double signed book sold for less ($305 vs. $350) than an unsigned book sold for last week. That always frosts me. All that extra work and trouble for a loss. Yet, when priced at $450 with best offer, nothing. No bites, no offers, nothing.

:shrug:

That is why I let others such as yourself play the yellow label game since I do believe there are more Universal buyers than Yellow label buyers for the same book in grade.

That's fine. I wonder if all these creators charging ridiculous prices for their signatures (Yes, Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee, and yes, Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee and Len Wein and others) will bring their prices down, when they realize that their signatures aren't the colossal money makers they think they are?

Todd and Stan helped this book by maybe $800-$900, no?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1st-Series-300-CGC-9-8-SS-1235659015-/311391655292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item488063957c

Here are about 300+ examples where sellers lost money on Stan signed SS books:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_sac=1&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_stpos=11357&_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=stan+lee+signed+cgc&rt=nc

If you permit Canadians to bid on your eBay auctions, that market has dried up. Our dollars were at parity a year ago, but the Canadian dollar now trades around 75 cents US due to the decline in the price of crude oil. So it will be along wait before Canadians can bid/buy on eBay again.

And because the Aussie dollar has tanked I'm now getting probably triple the amount of overseas sales.

Germany, Brazil, Poland, Russia, UK, Canada and USA plus other countries in the last week.

Just $5 - $20 books. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Terrible time to buy though.

I had three auctions end last night for disappointing prices on some pretty key books, so maybe.

In one case, a double signed book sold for less ($305 vs. $350) than an unsigned book sold for last week. That always frosts me. All that extra work and trouble for a loss. Yet, when priced at $450 with best offer, nothing. No bites, no offers, nothing.

That is why I let others such as yourself play the yellow label game since I do believe there are more Universal buyers than Yellow label buyers for the same book in grade.

That's fine. I wonder if all these creators charging ridiculous prices for their signatures (Yes, Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee, and yes, Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee and Len Wein and others) will bring their prices down, when they realize that their signatures aren't the colossal money makers they think they are?

Does Len Wein charge too? I got him and Wrightson a couple years ago for free. I wasn't stacking them up. Just a couple books signed at the bottom of the splash page. No charge...

Yes, Lein charges $20 for "CGC books", because he (erroneously) believes that those getting them slabbed are turning his books into "trading cards" (his words.)

I don't blame any comic book artist/writer for charging for their signature if the book is going to be graded.

They would be dumb not to.

Did I use the correct form of to there RMA? :baiting:

Yes, congratulations.

There's nothing wrong with anyone charging whatever they want for what they possess. However...if they are doing so in the erroneous belief that other people are "making money off their sigs", and charging *different* amounts (as some facilitators have convinced them to do) for CGC books, that's where the problem lies.

Do sigs add value? Yes, obviously, in many cases they do. But what amount is that value? In the case of my DC Presents #26, it was negative value.

But these creators think their sigs are adding value.

What's the problem?

95% or more of a book's value is in its condition, about which no creator has anything whatsoever to do. They didn't keep that copy in great shape...the owner(s) did.

If I hand Mike Zeck, who charges $10 a book for "CGC books" and $3 (I think) for non-CGC books....he's operating under the erroneous assumption that his signature is adding value to ANYTHING he signs that is destined for CGC.

This isn't true.

If I put a 9.8 Spidey #293 in front of him, yes, value is added.

If I put a 9.2 Spidey #293 in front of him, guess what?

No value added. In fact, the book is worth less than it costs to get slabbed.

But Mr. Zeck thinks his sig adds value to ANYTHING destined for CGC.

And that's the problem.

See I disagree.

How does any artist/writer differentiate from a monetary or collector use of their signature once they see the CGC witness. (shrug)

They don't need to.

Charge the same price for everyone, and that problem is solved.

(Besides...many of us ARE the witnesses, getting books signed for others, so we're the only ones the artist sees.)

Rob Liefeld charges I believe $30 now to sign a NM #98. Honestly I don't blame him.

$50, but Rob doesn't charge a different price for CGC and non-CGC. That's my point. If Rob can get it, more power to him. Just don't charge a DIFFERENT price because of where the book might end up.

I wouldn't want to set-up at a show just so I can sign books for guys that are looking to make money on my time with my signature.

You've missed the point. If Zeck signs my Spidey #293, and it's a 9.2...it's not worth the cost to grade it. It shouldn't matter to Zeck where the book ends up. No one is "making money" on that 9.2 Spidey #293.

The value of the book is in its condition, especially if the book is from 1980-up.

Again I get it not everyone that wants a signature on a comic book that gets sent to CGC is a flipper, but many of them are so when they see books they are signing sell for all this money it has to rub them the wrong way.

Why? That's just jealousy and envy talking. Did you even read what I wrote? Be honest now, did you just skim it? I already addressed the reason why it shouldn't "rub them the wrong way." It's not the SIGNATURE that makes the value...it's the CONDITION that does.

I mean would you sit there at a booth sign books for FREE just to know you are not getting compensated for your time and adding value to such sales?

Hell yes. People cared enough to buy MY books? You better believe I would sign for free.

George Perez does...so does Starlin.

If I hand Mike Zeck, who charges $10 a book for "CGC books" and $3 (I think) for non-CGC books...

Zeck (or, technically, Renee and her hard-sell approach) took $5 per raw signature from me at the Kansas City show this weekend. Not sure what he would charge for CGC as I didn't do any.

Does Len Wein charge too? I got him and Wrightson a couple years ago for free. I wasn't stacking them up. Just a couple books signed at the bottom of the splash page. No charge...

Yes, Lein charges $20 for "CGC books", because he (erroneously) believes that those getting them slabbed are turning his books into "trading cards" (his words.)

I don't blame any comic book artist/writer for charging for their signature if the book is going to be graded.

They would be dumb not to.

Did I use the correct form of to there RMA? :baiting:

Yes, congratulations.

There's nothing wrong with anyone charging whatever they want for what they possess. However...if they are doing so in the erroneous belief that other people are "making money off their sigs", and charging *different* amounts (as some facilitators have convinced them to do) for CGC books, that's where the problem lies.

Do sigs add value? Yes, obviously, in many cases they do. But what amount is that value? In the case of my DC Presents #26, it was negative value.

But these creators think their sigs are adding value.

What's the problem?

95% or more of a book's value is in its condition, about which no creator has anything whatsoever to do. They didn't keep that copy in great shape...the owner(s) did.

If I hand Mike Zeck, who charges $10 a book for "CGC books" and $3 (I think) for non-CGC books....he's operating under the erroneous assumption that his signature is adding value to ANYTHING he signs that is destined for CGC.

This isn't true.

If I put a 9.8 Spidey #293 in front of him, yes, value is added.

If I put a 9.2 Spidey #293 in front of him, guess what?

No value added. In fact, the book is worth less than it costs to get slabbed.

But Mr. Zeck thinks his sig adds value to ANYTHING destined for CGC.

And that's the problem.

See I disagree.

How does any artist/writer differentiate from a monetary or collector use of their signature once they see the CGC witness. (shrug)

They don't need to.

Charge the same price for everyone, and that problem is solved.

(Besides...many of us ARE the witnesses, getting books signed for others, so we're the only ones the artist sees.)

Rob Liefeld charges I believe $30 now to sign a NM #98. Honestly I don't blame him.

$50, but Rob doesn't charge a different price for CGC and non-CGC. That's my point. If Rob can get it, more power to him. Just don't charge a DIFFERENT price because of where the book might end up.

I wouldn't want to set-up at a show just so I can sign books for guys that are looking to make money on my time with my signature.

You've missed the point. If Zeck signs my Spidey #293, and it's a 9.2...it's not worth the cost to grade it. It shouldn't matter to Zeck where the book ends up. No one is "making money" on that 9.2 Spidey #293.

The value of the book is in its condition[/i[, especially if the book is from 1980-up.

Again I get it not everyone that wants a signature on a comic book that gets sent to CGC is a flipper, but many of them are so when they see books they are signing sell for all this money it has to rub them the wrong way.

Why? That's just jealousy and envy talking. Did you even read what I wrote? Be honest now, did you just skim it? I already addressed the reason why it shouldn't "rub them the wrong way." It's not the SIGNATURE that makes the value...it's the CONDITION that does.

I mean would you sit there at a booth sign books for FREE just to know you are not getting compensated for your time and adding value to such sales?

Hell yes. People cared enough to buy MY books? You better believe I would sign for free.

George Perez does...so does Starlin.

No I did not skim your RMA posts.

So do you want Zeck give you a refund if the book doesn't hit the desired grade you want? lol How is that his fault?

Come on dude.......

So if I brought a Spawn #1 up to TMc for him to sign he should be happy that I bought it years ago and for the rest of his life he should be thanking readers for signing the book. STOP! How does Todd even know I actually bought the book off the stands, maybe I paid $5.00 for it yesterday at a comic book store. (shrug)

My first WW Philly con back in 2004 a d-bag in front of me had a stack of Michael Turner books to get signed and Turner w/cancer signed them all for free. The guy told me in line he is just getting these sigs to sell them raw on eBay. So in that regard that guy made more money per book than Turner did.

How do you again expect a artist/writer to differentiate a collector from a flipper when a CGC witness is standing next to them?

These people aren't dumb they know people are only wanting their sig for monetary gain and it is their right to charge a small fee if they feel the person in front of them stands to gain from that signature.

Yes I know Rob charges regardless, but most of the time his signature is now used to make $ on the flippers end so even though he is kinda tool-bag sometimes I don't blame him for getting paid where he deserves it.

What I have learned from this hobby is nothing stays in ones personal collection forever even if the original intend was so. We are all just a death, stupid wife/gf, college tuition, or buying a house expenses etc etc etc from selling something from our private personal collection.

In short if I was a writer/artist I would probably sign most things for FREE, but if I see a CGC witness in front of me I would charge a small one time fee.

If I hand Mike Zeck, who charges $10 a book for "CGC books" and $3 (I think) for non-CGC books...

Zeck (or, technically, Renee and her hard-sell approach) took $5 per raw signature from me at the Kansas City show this weekend. Not sure what he would charge for CGC as I didn't do any.

Yes, Renee Witterstaetter and her "gimme MONEY!!!" demeanor.

Sigh.

I used to respect her, but I don't know so much anymore.

At Baltimore last year, Renee charged everyone with window bags $10...with it was Golden, Zeck, or whomever she had under her thumb.

Hopefully, it's not more.

I paid Zeck $40 for a head sketch of the KGBeast...he drew Bane. :cry:

Did I "make money" on that sig and sketch? No. Was I glad to give Zeck the money? Yes. Very. I wish I was a billionaire, so I could GIVE these guys all sorts of money for their effort.

It's not about the money...it's about charging the different amounts based on a flawed perception that no one seems to be able to clear up.

No I did not skim your RMA posts.

So do you want Zeck give you a refund if the book doesn't hit the desired grade you want? lol How is that his fault?

Come on dude.......

You continue to miss the point, so I will attempt to lay it out as clearly as I can for you once again: it has nothing to do with "getting the desired grade", or getting a "refund" if the book doesn't hit a desired grade (which, as you know, isn't really an issue for those of us who know how to grade, but I digress.)

Let me say this again: it's about the MISperception that creators have that their signatures are adding vast amounts of value to a book, any and every book, and so, charge DIFFERENT PRICES for books they perceive are going to be slabbed, as opposed to books that aren't.

That is flawed thinking. The signatures aren't adding the value. The book's CONDITION is what adds, or creates, the value.

A Spidey #293 in 9.8 has value beyond the cost to slab the book. A Spidey #293 in 9.8 with Zeck's signature has value beyond the cost to slab the book.

A Spidey #293 in 9.2 does NOT have value beyond the cost to slab the book. A Spidey #293 in 9.2 with Zeck's signature ALSO does not have value beyond the cost to slab the book.

But the creators are looking at the situation as if ANY and EVERY book that is destined for a CGC slab is A. going to be sold, and B. has added value because of their signature, and so charge DIFFERENT PRICES for their sigs as a result.

I would much rather Zeck charge the SAME price for every book, regardless of its destination, because doing what he's doing now is based on faulty understanding.

Todd McFarlane signs books FOR FREE if they are not destined for CGC. He charges $50 PER BOOK for books that are destined for CGC. That is based on the perception he has that people are "making money" on his signature, and that his signature adds value to every book slabbed, regardless of what it is, and what condition it is in.

I don't begrudge Todd charging for a single second. If he wants to charge $1,000 for his signature, he should be free to do so. But....and this is the clincher...if Todd understood that his signature going on these slabbed books doesn't always add value, that the condition of the book is far, far more important to its value than his signature, and that not everyone is getting his signature to sell for "profit"....I seriously doubt he would charge what he charges.

I'm SURE he doesn't understand this because...again...he signs non-CGC books for free, almost certainly because he believes either those books aren't going to be sold, or that his signature on a raw book doesn't add that much value.

Stan Lee, on the other hand, (or, rather, Max) charges the same price REGARDLESS of where it is going. His costs may be more than the market can bear...or not...but at least he's consistent, and not trying to leverage more money just because of the MISperception that every book headed for a slab is A. going to be sold, and B. worth getting signed. Todd USED to sign books, even SS books, for free...now he charges a very high price for them...while still signing NON-SS books...for free.

So, the people who are getting the books signed and slabbed just because they love the Sig Series program and want to get their collections SS'd cannot, because of this MISperception.

Like I said...I wish I was a billionaire, and could throw money at these guys like it was confetti. But that would be MY choice, because I appreciate their work, not because they demanded it of me. When they turn around and start asking more and more and more because of a faulty perception, collectors of moderate means are completely shut out because of this inconsistency based on this misperception.

And that's kind of a shame.

So if I brought a Spawn #1 up to TMc for him to sign he should be happy that I bought it years ago and for the rest of his life he should be thanking readers for signing the book. STOP! How does Todd even know I actually bought the book off the stands, maybe I paid $5.00 for it yesterday at a comic book store. (shrug)

Your logic fails. It doesn't matter WHEN you bought the book, the fact is, YOU BOUGHT THE BOOK. Even if you buy it as a back issue for $5 yesterday, you're still supporting his work, because someone, somewhere paid someone for that book, who paid someone else, who paid someone else, who paid Todd.

My first WW Philly con back in 2004 a d-bag in front of me had a stack of Michael Turner books to get signed and Turner w/cancer signed them all for free. The guy told me in line he is just getting these sigs to sell them raw on eBay. So in that regard that guy made more money per book than Turner did.

So? That exchange was between him and Turner, not you. If Turner was happy to do it, what business is it of yours? Did Turner sign your books for free? More importantly, did you offer him anything? I have, as far as I can recall, offered every single person who has signed my books *something* in the way of compensation, whether it be to the Heroes initiative, or whatnot. I take that back...Bill Sienk signed two Swamp Things for me at Big Wow, but he was pre-occupied, so I didn't get a chance to ask if he wanted anything. But if I get books signed, I ask if the artist wants anything. Sometimes they say no, sometimes they say yes, but I'm always glad to give SOMETHING.

In between Yeates, Totleben, Bissette, and Veitch at Big Wow this year, I spent $700 for signatures on 43 books. That's roughly $16 for each and every book I got signed, for books which, the vast majority are NOT going to be worth anywhere near what I paid to get the signatures. And it was money I GLADLY spent! But one charged different rates for Sig Series, and I found that a little disappointing. I paid it, and gladly paid it in support of this artist, but it was still disappointing that there was a different price nonetheless.

How do you again expect a artist/writer to differentiate a collector from a flipper when a CGC witness is standing next to them?

You're not paying attention, because I already addressed this: there's no need to differentiate. Charge the same price, across the board, regardless of where it's going. Charging a different price based on a misperception makes the creator look greedy.

These people aren't dumb they know people are only wanting their sig for monetary gain and it is their right to charge a small fee if they feel the person in front of them stands to gain from that signature.

You just contradicted yourself in the span of two paragraphs. In the former, you say "how do you expect them to differentiate between a collector and a flipper?" and then in the very next paragraph, say "if they feel the person in front of them stands to gain from that signature." If they can't differentiate, how do they know which person "stands to gain from that signature"?

Of course it is their right to charge a fee, small, large, gigantic. I've now said that several times. But why do you think people are "only wanting their sig for monetary gain"? There are people who only want their sig for their collection. There are people ( :hi: ) who get multiples, some to sell, and the best to keep for themselves. There are some who are ONLY there to flip.

So what? What business is it of anyone what someone chooses to do with their property? None. So, charging different fees on the MISperception that people are just "making money" on their sigs is a bad deal all around.

Yes I know Rob charges regardless, but most of the time his signature is now used to make $ on the flippers end so even though he is kinda tool-bag sometimes I don't blame him for getting paid where he deserves it.

And that attitude by Rob will kill the golden goose. I won't get anything more signed by him, until and if he lays off the prices. His signature DOES NOT add value to the vast majority of the books he signs.

Case in point: I had a New Mutants #87 signed by him at Anaheim in 2013. I actually had 2. Both graded 9.8. I sold the one, and kept the other. I sold the one, and had a hard time getting $220 for it. After all fees, the cost of his sig ($20), and the additional costs for SS....I netted $0 over and above what an unsigned 9.8 was selling for. I made nothing more, though I certainly expended effort to get the book signed.

At least Rob is consistent. He charges the same price, regardless of the destination. And if he can get that price, more power to him. But I, and people like me, are shut out because of the MISperception that Rob has that people are "just making money off his sig, so I might as well get a piece of that pie, too."

It's just not true.

What I have learned from this hobby is nothing stays in ones personal collection forever even if the original intend was so.

You would be wrong. I have many, many of the books I bought in 1989, 1990, 1991. I have no intention of selling those, even if they were worth $10,000 each. They are important to me for reasons well beyond their monetary value.

If that's true for you, fine, but that's not true for everyone.

We are all just a death, stupid wife/gf, college tuition, or buying a house expenses etc etc etc from selling something from our private personal collection.

Again, not always true....except for death, after which I imagine my collection will be dispersed to the four winds.

In short if I was a writer/artist I would probably sign most things for FREE, but if I see a CGC witness in front of me I would charge a small one time fee.

Yes, because you, like many of these artists, think it's "not fair" that you don't "get a cut" from the MISperception that having a book CGC'd means "profit."

And that's unfortunate.

I would assume they would only bring their prices down if no one was paying what they were asking. If people are lining up and willing to pay a certain amount its hard to argue what they are charging is ridiculous.

I have NEVER paid anyone for an autograph and never will. Now, I am always respectful and only ask for one or two books to be signed. I almost always have them signed in ball point pen at the bottom of the splash page or story the artist worked on. I figure that if there weren't fans like us, they wouldn't have a job. I've earned an autograph by supporting them and their work.

I would probably not have a problem if the money were going to a charity. Paying a guy like Stan Lee who is worth many millions of dollars for an autograph just really rubs me the wrong way. I also don't slab or sell my books.

I would assume they would only bring their prices down if no one was paying what they were asking. If people are lining up and willing to pay a certain amount its hard to argue what they are charging is ridiculous.

I was referring to charging ridiculous prices based on the misperception that everyone is making fat stacks of cash off their signatures.

As later posts have confirmed, if someone wants to charge $1,000 for their sig, because they feel their sig is worth that amount, and they can convince people to pay it, more power to them. But if they're charging $1,000 because they feel that "someone else" may be "profiting" off their sig, that's a bad reason to do that.

just a drive by..in a friendly sort of way .. saying "howdy-do" and marveling at your verbose postings...

it's like the old days..I feel like Ebay 1998 all over again..

it tingles.. :cloud9:

You know what?

I STILL have that short box of books you sent to me.

Half faded and all.

Nearly TWENTY YEARS AGO!

I'm NEVER getting rid of those.

:cloud9:

RMA,

I am not quoting above anymore. Nothing about what I said was a contradiction.

I see all your points I just don't agree with them. (shrug)

If you add Rob Liefeld's signature to a NM #98 CGC 9.8 is most certainly does add value. So what are you talking about?

This is the counter to your point about perception of value. People see the last GPA sale of a certain book and think to themselves, "Hey if I can just add a Stan Lee signature I can get X amount of dollars of profit as well," now whether you get that value is on you. My point is the perceived value is what some of these artists/writers see and assume when they see a CGC witness in front of them then that person has a good chance of using their signature to add $ value to the book, hence why they feel compensation is warranted. Now whether you miss on the grade or don't get the money return you were hoping for that is not their fault.

I don't blame them. Plus some of these older writer/artists didn't benefit as well as the ones from today. You know why the Heroes Initiative was started.

I think you missed my point about books in a private/personal collection. We obviously can't keep our comics forever so when we die usually the comics would be passed down to someone or sell them off way before. I never use the term buying for my collection anymore because life happens and expenses come up. I just ask what is the best price you can do then buy the book, and I think that is the best approach.

Again if I was an artist and a guy brought a few books to my booth I would sign them no problem. However if he had 10 copies of the same book and a CGC witness was standing next to him he would get charged.

I think you are being way too serious about this and butt hurt. :baiting:

It is their right as an artist/writer to charge what ever they want for anything that has to do with their creative presence. If an artist wants to charge every single person $5 per signature no matter if it is 1 book or 100 books that is his/her right to do so. Don't blame them for getting a piece of the action that is going on around them.

You as a fan/customer can choose not to pay them. Pretty simple.