• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is there an optimal size for a comic collection? Do you have a limit?

85 posts in this topic

It’s amazing for me to read this reasoning in terms of comic boxes…

This would be impossible in Italy (and Europe): my collection is made of each and every possible format… Strips to journals, to landscape books et al.

:ohnoez:

I've seen a lot of magazine size books that I like, and would love to own. But as soon as I start to consider purchasing, I think, "where the hell am I going to put those?"

My wife is very tolerant of my collection, and doesn't really care what's in it, as long as it's not strewn all over the place. :D

I currently have around 446 different titles and just over 7,000 books in my collection. I'm still adding books to fill in runs; but I'm just now just working on completing the runs on 4 to 6 different titles at a time. This way I can finish a run and move on to the next instead of always needing to pick up books for more titles then I could afford to keep up with at the same time.

Psy

I've got about 5 short boxes of slabbed, 3 short boxes of raw, and one long box of raw, reader stuff. I really don't want my collection to grow any more than it is, although I still buy a few books here and there if it's a really good deal or is grail I've been looking for.

I have alot. My problem is when I start a run I have to finish it. I know some would think it's an easy run to build,but my ASM run with AF15,ASM 1-700 was very tough for me.

Now I'm working on a Vampirella and Creepy run. :eek:

I have a hard time thinking anybody would consider your ASM run as an easy run to acquire.

My collection at it's largest was around 7,000 books, sold most of them off. Now sits around 2,000 books.

My problem is that I have a hard time keeping focused on what I want and bounce around all over the place picking up books with no direction.

My collection is approx 8K and all are organized by title and number in lateral filing cabinets. I use the Collectorz software to keep me from buying too many doubles (love a few that I buy multiples of). I would have a collection of 100K if my budget would permit.

My collection is approx 8K and all are organized by title and number in lateral filing cabinets. I use the Collectorz software to keep me from buying too many doubles (love a few that I buy multiples of). I would have a collection of 100K if my budget would permit.

I use an Excel spreadsheet to manage my inventory, but my buy list is handwritten on a blank piece of paper. I'm behind the times.

My wife tells me my collection size is fine but I'm always worried she secretly wishes it was a little bigger. :cry: But I think its just her since past girlfriends have said my collection was way too big.

Is there an optimal size/number of comics in a collection?

What is your ideal collecting goal? Is it limited by the space you have to contain it properly?

If you're talking optimal size, well, this comes to mind...

41FbAsvvI1L._SY300_.jpg

The number of comics, virtually unlimited. More than could be read in a lifetime.

The optimal size is what you can store and access easily. I don't think there's a number. I have about 8000 comics and growing. They currently reside in piled long boxes at my folks' place. I've moved into my own home, but I'm still planning out shelving space for short boxes in my spare bedroom. I don't think I'd be able to pare much down, it's here because I wanted it.

I'd rather have three Avengers 57 than a run of Avengers 51-60. Rather have multiple Captain Marvel 25-33s as opposed to a run of CM 1-50. Multiple FF 25/26 than a run of 20-35. Hopefully you get the gist.

That's a horde, not a collection. The enjoyment of the books isn't in the material itself, it's flipping through and thinking "ka-ching, ka-ching." Rather than being critical, I'll just say we're at different stages in our collecting focus.

I recently gave away a lot of modern books (it was before joining this board, sorry). For some reason I basically never stopped subscribing monthly since coming into adulthood. I think it was more out of habit than anything, I hardly ever read anything. Just bagged and boarded them and then stuck them in a box in the closet. I've now stopped that practice.

So, a recent decision was made to purchase a nice display case and limit the number of books I own to whatever it can hold. It was difficult, but after the purge I felt much, much better. I like having a narrow focus to the collection (primarily SA keys and runs of characters I personally love) and really enjoy having my books displayed in a nice way where I can look at them and smile.

I'm trying to make a deal with myself that if I expand the collection I have to get another nice display case. I really can't stand the sight of those white comic boxes.

IMG_0005_zpsf901dbcd.jpg

Old picture, more now, about 31,000. I have the old Comic Collector software and can find any book within minutes. When this room is full (or falls into the garage), I will be done.

Wow! Impressive!

Although that one box with the scribbled out "8" is just pushing my OCD right over the edge. :grin:

The optimal size is what you can store and access easily. I don't think there's a number. I have about 8000 comics and growing. They currently reside in piled long boxes at my folks' place. I've moved into my own home, but I'm still planning out shelving space for short boxes in my spare bedroom. I don't think I'd be able to pare much down, it's here because I wanted it.

I'd rather have three Avengers 57 than a run of Avengers 51-60. Rather have multiple Captain Marvel 25-33s as opposed to a run of CM 1-50. Multiple FF 25/26 than a run of 20-35. Hopefully you get the gist.

That's a horde, not a collection. The enjoyment of the books isn't in the material itself, it's flipping through and thinking "ka-ching, ka-ching." Rather than being critical, I'll just say we're at different stages in our collecting focus.

I have almost every SA Marvel Omnibus published, so that's my go to material for reading. My books are akin to stocks, or simply pictures of dead white people. Give me four Franklin's over ten Washington's Sunday.

I use an Excel spreadsheet to manage my inventory, but my buy list is handwritten on a blank piece of paper. I'm behind the times.

That's state of the art stuff - I do the same (thumbs u

I think it all depends on how much space you have to store what you have. If it's organized, and not taking up space better devoted to a different use, then I think the space defines the optimal size.

I have shelves in my office that I built about 15 years ago that hold 36 longoboxes. I currently have about 47 longboxes (anywhere from 75% to 95% full), so I'm slowly but surely trying to get down to my optimal size of 36 longboxes. I had 54 boxes when I started downsizing two years ago, so baby steps...

The last couple of months I've been slow to sell stuff, but I feel the urge to purge building again, so maybe in another 2 more years I'll be at my optimal size?