• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Marker Debate: Best Metallic and Non Metallic Marker for Sigs

34 posts in this topic

I still like the Pen Touch metallic markers, and haven't had any problems. They just need to be tested prior to use to make sure they're fresh, and they give great results. Just a few seconds of drying keep them from smearing.

Do you have an example of how it looks on a cover? No bleeding or pooling after you prime the tip? Better than sharpie?

I still like the Pen Touch metallic markers, and haven't had any problems. They just need to be tested prior to use to make sure they're fresh, and they give great results. Just a few seconds of drying keep them from smearing.

Do you have an example of how it looks on a cover? No bleeding or pooling after you prime the tip? Better than sharpie?

The ASM #297 scan I had in the 2013 thread used one. I could post a lot more, but I'm on the road. If you prime the tip properly before you hand it over to the creator it should be fine. I also have only used it for like 1-3 signatures at a time just to be safe, but it'd probably handle more.

Don't most creators use their own markers anyways?

They can, but in my experience if you bring one and ask them to use it I've never had anyone refuse. I've given away a few of the Pen Touch to folks who commented on the one I handed them to use.

The ASM #297 scan I had in the 2013 thread used one. I could post a lot more, but I'm on the road. If you prime the tip properly before you hand it over to the creator it should be fine. I also have only used it for like 1-3 signatures at a time just to be safe, but it'd probably handle more.

ASM297CGCss.jpg

I see you finally figured out the name of the marker from Michaels. :P The marker looks very sharp. Fine tip silver?

ASM297CGCss.jpg

I see you finally figured out the name of the marker from Michaels. :P The marker looks very sharp. Fine tip silver?

There are photos of the pens and specs in that 2013 thread. Just look a few pages in.

The proverbial question Mysterio, do they smear when they dry and how do they hold up over an extended period of time? The markers claim to be quick dry. The Saviuk sig, is that using the extra fine pen-touch metallic marker? As well, are you able to make finer lines with that marker like you can with a sharpie?

The proverbial question Mysterio, do they smear when they dry and how do they hold up over an extended period of time? The markers claim to be quick dry. The Saviuk sig, is that using the extra fine pen-touch metallic marker? As well, are you able to make finer lines with that marker like you can with a sharpie?

I would bet that the sharpie makes finer lines. I have only used the markers pictured, so that will tell you the size of the point. If you want really fine lines this may not be the marker for you. When I've used it they have not smudged at all when dry. I'm not sure of my oldest book with one of these markers used, I can check on that. The ones I used for SS 3-4 years ago still look good, I know that much, but obviously that's not very long.

Whatever you do, don't use the Fine Gel pens, unless you want to stand there and hold your books...each one...for several minutes.

Quite a few sigs got smeared at B'More last year.

:(

Also...I wouldn't recommend the COPPER metallic sharpies...it just doesn't look good.

I have been trying to find older examples of slabbed comics with metallic sigs to see how they have fared over the years, but have not been able to find any over 4 years old. If anybody has any older slabs please post them so we can see how well they have lasted. I found this book signed in 1993 with a metallic marker, which has lasted for over 20 years. Since this book was signed before metallic sharpies were invented (2002), I contacted someone who was at the signing to see what was used.

DSCF0140.jpg

Sorry for the delay, but I have spent the past week and have been to 5 different stores looking for a variety of markers, paint and non-paint. I have also ordered some of the pentouch metallic markers to see how well they fair against the markers tested. Unfortunately my scans at 300dpi didn't do these markers justice. I looked for accurate representation of the stated color (gold, silver and blue), do they streak, boldness, metallic sheen and how long it takes for them to dry. I found with brand new paint markers the results to the most part were excellent and very consistent. It was close between DecoColor Gold fine and Sharpie Oil Based Paint Fine. Deco had a more metallic sheet, but Sharpie's lines were more fluid. In regards to regular markers I liked the sharpie gold, but at times it was hit and miss with brand new markers and required 2 tests with 2 brand new markers, dry time was almost immediate. On black covers most of the markers were very visible, on a white busy cover blue sharpie showed up the best, but the mentioned markers above still fared very well. Again sorry for the poor scans, they don't scan very well and maybe and photograph would have done them justice.

08211501.JPG

08211502.JPG

So far some of the markers still look sharp, waiting to try the Sakura metallic recommended, will have it in my hands tomorrow. Wondering how long these paint pens or metallic sharpies last before they lose their luster. I know some of the paint pens are only good for a couple months before they lose their strength. Makes for a costly expenditure for only 1 cons worth of use.