• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Secret Origins #1 (1961)

35 posts in this topic

I need some help in grading this one. It has those spine wrinkles along the spine. I thing it’s common on these Early Giants and seen many CCC 8.5 and 9.0 with similar wrinkle creases. I think I've never seen one without? How much does it affect the grade? No hidden defects. There are some very tiny color flakes on the top corner of the spine. Pages are CREAM TO OFF-WHITE. Colors are rich and bright with much of its original gloss still present.

secret1.jpg

secret1b.jpg

Its from an original owner collection and was bought from the rack with the wrinkles. I think its a binding defect?
The wrinkles are a bindery defect which CGC does not really downgrade much for if at all. I had a squarebound Harvey file copy giant from 1962 grade a 9.6 with similiar wrinkles.

Its from an original owner collection and was bought from the rack with the wrinkles. I think its a binding defect?
The wrinkles are a bindery defect which CGC does not really downgrade much for if at all. I had a squarebound Harvey file copy giant from 1962 grade a 9.6 with similiar wrinkles.

yay.gif

I own a CGC 7.5 copy of this. And mine actually has a better back cover bottom edge, but your spine appears to have more intregrity. Otherwise they are very similar.

So I would also say yours is a solid 7.5

That bottom back cover looks pretty ruff.

And that dag nabbed wavy spine has been present on all 6 copies of this book I have seen.

Ze-

Thought I would add.. I expected mine to come back at least a 8.0 , minimum.

Still fugly sumo.gif And I doubt your 9.6 was wrinkled to this extent 893scratchchin-thumb.gif gotta scan?

Not trying to be overly skeptical here, but I understand that you were not the original owner. How old is this book? 30 years? And you're telling us that the original owner REMEMBERS buying it off the rack WITH the wrinkles? foreheadslap.gif

Not trying to be overly skeptical here, but I understand that you were not the original owner. How old is this book? 30 years? And you're telling us that the original owner REMEMBERS buying it off the rack WITH the wrinkles? foreheadslap.gif

Actually it is 44 years old..( and was a kind of 1 shot at the time?)

Maybe they just sucked at glueing squarebound books back then?

Ze-

Here is my copy I posted earlier when I was griping about how easy it was to label tamper.

And the wrinkles look just like the copy posted above.

Harry?.. you got your copy handy?

Anybody else?

backswapsmall.JPG

Actually it is 44 years old..( and was a kind of 1 shot at the time?)

Maybe they just sucked at glueing squarebound books back then?

Ze-

Here is my copy I posted earlier when I was griping about how easy it was to label tamper.

And the wrinkles look just like the copy posted above.

Harry?.. you got your copy handy?

Anybody else?

backswapsmall.JPG

Can you post the scan of the front cover as well? I wonder how PGA grades those wrinkles over CGC? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Kenny & All4; here's my copy for comparison purposes.

forgetting ALL ELSE and just looking at the wrinkles, my copy seems to have fewer than either of yours. of course, it's not graded yet so i can't help there.

i've always had a difficult time grading squarebounds and my initial grade of All4's copy was 7.5 (like others) due to the significant rippling of the BC spine. am amazed that greggy has a CGC graded copy of one that has this kind of wrinkling and got a 9.6 893whatthe.gif (not arguing that point - just really surprised).

1106259897597_80_page_giants.jpg

1106353528466_80_page_giants_001.jpg

Can you post the scan of the front cover as well? I wonder how PGA grades those wrinkles over CGC? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

All 4.. that photo is of a CGC slab, In an attempt to try and get CGC to seal the label in the innerwell.

I replaced the CGC label with a PGA label. To show how easy it would be for a seller to switch out labels in the old CGC inner well.

I was not saying anyone would try and switch a CGC label.. with a PGA label.. I just did that as an example to prove my point.

So my book as you see it got a 7.5.. from CGC and I still swear it looks nicer then that.

sumo.gif

Ze-

And did we ever decide if that 9.6 had wrinkles similar to mine, and all4's?

All 4.. that photo is of a CGC slab, In an attempt to try and get CGC to seal the label in the innerwell.

I replaced the CGC label with a PGA label. To show how easy it would be for a seller to switch out labels in the old CGC inner well.

I was not saying anyone would try and switch a CGC label.. with a PGA label.. I just did that as an example to prove my point.

So my book as you see it got a 7.5.. from CGC and I still swear it looks nicer then that.

sumo.gif

Ze-

And did we ever decide if that 9.6 had wrinkles similar to mine, and all4's?

Ze,

Do you have the scan of the front cover? Did your copy have some stains on the back cover?

I need some help in grading this one. It has those spine wrinkles along the spine. I thing it’s common on these Early Giants and seen many CCC 8.5 and 9.0 with similar wrinkle creases. I think I've never seen one without? How much does it affect the grade? No hidden defects. There are some very tiny color flakes on the top corner of the spine. Pages are CREAM TO OFF-WHITE. Colors are rich and bright with much of its original gloss still present.

secret1.jpg

secret1b.jpg

takeit.gif