• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk Original 6 Reprint?

32 posts in this topic

lolll yes I am a adult (close to 40 years old) my 1st language is french I grew up in the province of Quebec in Canada and went to school (high school, college and university in french). I have a master's degree in the field in witch I studied. I do not practice writing in English much. That is why you probbaly think what you think.

You think my profile is fake and so are the comics that I own.....well think what you want to think I know I own the comics (The X-Men #1 was purchased on comiclink in November of 2014: link http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D3909%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=1029768 and the Hulk 1 and JIM 83 where just purchased on ebay in the last 2 weeks......go look it up). I am not here to try and convince you just because you most likely have a issue with me and you want to make me look like a fake here (that is nothing new there is always one person on every site that thinks just because someone owns some of the better collectibles they MUST be a fake and fraud). Do what you want I could care less I am here to enjoy the chat room and read what people have to say and post here as well. Only CHILDREN and half adults like to pick on people and waste time end energy so go right ahead if that is your comfort zone in life. If you want to be adult and talk comics then let's do so if not I will simply not respond to your comments any longer. I prefer the company of productive people and who enjoy talking comics.

Now I understand why you have almost 4600 posts it ALL makes sens now.

If you want to police me go ahead and police me try to find errors in what I say you will be wasting your time not mine!!

I knew about most reprints just not the one containing the Original 6 Hulks (Ohhhh my lord I am sooooooo sorry I do not know every little single thing about every single issue). Funny you are now the one mad at me after trying to say I am a liar and have a fake profile. My guess is you are in business or a lawyer since you like debating EVERY little thing to no end!!

Anyway this will be my last post towards you since as I stated I have no need to waste energy and time on someone as yourself.

You can now do what you seem to do best write a whole book for a answer to what I just wrote......as I stated you are the one wasting time and energy not me.

Like I said I am not here to fight with people just want to enjoy my hobby as much as you want to enjoy yours......simple as that. If you want to act nice and talk comics then I am all for that if you want to call me a liar and a fraud (Witch neither are true) then I would rather just not talk to you. In the end it is up to you to make a choice. I know for myself I can man up and be a better person.

I remember reading the little pocket digest reprint and loving ALL the versions contained within. I think I bought it for a buck at a local used paperback place in San Diego back when there still WERE used paperback stores.I didn't know who the artists were, but it was one of my first realizations that there even COULD be different artists. Here was the Hulk who in one story looked one way, but in another story he looked different. . .and in yet another story, he looked different from the other two styles!!! I finally recognized that the artists were different. I figured out years later that those artists were Kirby, Ditko, and Gil Kane. That Kane story, by the way, is underrated in a big way. It featured the Abomination and, in retrospect, some of the quintessential Gil Kane waves at the end of the story. Totally mesmerizing. I LOVED that paperback. I think those first 6 issues are totally wonderful and I'm not even a Marvel zombie!

So anyway...check out the Hulk Omnibus. I think it's right up your alley.

I second the thought on an Omnibus. I just recently picked three up; ASM 1, FF 1-2. I bought them on Amazon for a song compared to the retail asking price at LCS. I'd have bought at the LCS if they had them in stock though, just for the sake of business. I think I paid like $175 for all three volumes, which are all really amazingly well done.

If you don't want to spend that much, check out the Marvel Masterworks. You can get them digitally on some reading devices for a lesser price, or just pick up the 1-6 reprints in the Marvel Masterworks paperback.

I got my first Hulk 1-6 reprints from a paperback book series in the late 70's. One of my first exposures to Marvel's Silver Age.

Cool books with some interesting Kirby artwork. Not the best stories, but they are interesting since it's obvious that they weren't really sure what to do with the character at that point,

I know most people say the 1st 6 issues suck but I want to read them anyway just want to know what they are all about.

No they don't at all. Read the issues on a quiet night with the windows open so that you can hear the crickets. Also make sure you are reading under an incandescent lamp with a mug of hot cocoa at your side. Before you begin, repeat a half dozen times, "It's 1962."

It was undoubtedly a great time to be twelve -- well worth searching for. (thumbs u

I don't think the first six issues are bad at all. Reading them today one should separate from what they already know or believe about the Hulk character and take the comics on their own merit. It's a somewhat different Hulk in that his manner of speech, powers, abilities, and transformation to and from Bruce are different than what would come just a few years later. The basic framework is there, and you have Rick, Betty, and General Ross already as supporting cast. It just took some time for the creators to work out the character.

I know most people say the 1st 6 issues suck but I want to read them anyway just want to know what they are all about.

No they don't at all. Read the issues on a quiet night with the windows open so that you can hear the crickets. Also make sure you are reading under an incandescent lamp with a mug of hot cocoa at your side. Before you begin, repeat a half dozen times, "It's 1962."

It was undoubtedly a great time to be twelve -- well worth searching for. (thumbs u

I don't think the first six issues are bad at all. Reading them today one should separate from what they already know or believe about the Hulk character and take the comics on their own merit. It's a somewhat different Hulk in that his manner of speech, powers, abilities, and transformation to and from Bruce are different than what would come just a few years later. The basic framework is there, and you have Rick, Betty, and General Ross already as supporting cast. It just took some time for the creators to work out the character.

I was a little older than 12 and I did enjoy them when they first came out. Sales were not as good as hoped and Kirby needed to focus on other projects. Ditko filled in the gaps, which in retrospect, made it even better. The money seemed to be in costumed superheroes and that's where Marvel and DC went. Hulk was a monster mag and didn't match up to the others but blended in well with the FF and Avengers. He was often the bad guy and/or a misunderstood hero. Enjoy and then wonder how they brought him back to be a TV star.