• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swapped book or huge error by CGC

72 posts in this topic

So you are returning it? Sellers just can't win currently. If he didn't swap the books then he sold you exactly what you bought - a CGC 9.0 comic. Sounds like you bought it on E-Bay so he has a no questions asked return policy no matter if he wanted to or not. Can you return a de slabbed copy if he sold you a slabbed one? No sure how that works.

Not returning it or asking for a refund. Its not his fault CGC screwed up.

my opinion so far is this is a swapped book, done to recoup the expense of buying a cgc 9.0 copy of the book.

Might I ask what was the condition of the inner well? Was it tampered with at all?

If not, then this could still be a swapped book if the seller had a 5.0 slab ( the copy you have with the spine creases and water damage is a 5.0 IMHO ). The 5.0 slab he cracked, the 9.0 slab also cracked and put the 5.0 inner well with the 9.0 label back into the best condition slab and re-glued it.

Yes that is a lot of work but all done to recoup expense/ make back a little money.

It to me just isn't feasible that CGC graders x3 all miss all of those defects including the water stain which causes the book to ripple and not lay flat.

Otherwise what we are stating is CGC no longer uses multiple graders on every book. :gossip:

my opinion so far is this is a swapped book, done to recoup the expense of buying a cgc 9.0 copy of the book.

Might I ask what was the condition of the inner well? Was it tampered with at all?

If not, then this could still be a swapped book if the seller had a 5.0 slab ( the copy you have with the spine creases and water damage is a 5.0 IMHO ). The 5.0 slab he cracked, the 9.0 slab also cracked and put the 5.0 inner well with the 9.0 label back into the best condition slab and re-glued it.

Yes that is a lot of work but all done to recoup expense/ make back a little money.

It to me just isn't feasible that CGC graders x3 all miss all of those defects including the water stain which causes the book to ripple and not lay flat.

Otherwise what we are stating is CGC no longer uses multiple graders on every book. :gossip:

100% correct. IMO there isn't much debate, it's a swapped book , that book you have there isn't even an 8.0 yet a 9.0! :sumo: -

I spoke to the seller. No, I didn't ask for a refund as the book clearly isn't in the shape that I bought it. He submitted the books himself. He was a bit perplexed as to why I would take it out as you are supose to keep them in he slab. lol

I don't believe this at all.

I don't know either way,there's not enough evidence to prove that it was swapped. However you should give CGC a little more credit,so if it isn't the grade it should be I would side on the "swapped" end of this situation.

What a strange and interesting thread. None of it makes much sense.

Even if it's 100% CGC gift-grade, you have a seller self-subbing a $6-$10 book that came back 9.0 (must have been a pleasant shocker), that sold for $36.

How much does it cost to sub, insure, return postage to CGC? Does the effort, waiting time and ultimate ROI make any sense?

Then toss in conjecture about 'swapping' and it gets more bizarre. The time-effort, rehandling the book, the risk involved to his eBay account, reputation, all his other listings. To what? Recoup $10 to $12 bucks on the backend?

Even if it's 100% CGC gift-grade, you have a seller self-subbing a $6-$10 book that came back 9.0 (must have been a pleasant shocker), that sold for $36.

How much does it cost to sub, insure, return postage to CGC? Does the effort, waiting time and ultimate ROI make any sense?

Then toss in conjecture about 'swapping' and it gets more bizarre. The time-effort, rehandling the book, the risk involved to his eBay account, reputation, all his other listings. To what? Recoup $10 to $12 bucks on the backend?

A test run for bigger books.

Could be a terrorist cell working to bring down our economy...one comic book at a time.

Could be a terrorist cell working to bring down our economy...one comic book at a time.

I like this more.

Strike mine from the record and go with this.

Also is it possible to have the water damage occur post slabbed (water damaged while book was in the slab)

Which pic shows the water damage?

I see some reddish tinge on a couple of the pics which looks like potential distributor ink.

Is there one pic that clearly shows the stain?

Hmmm.

As has been said, it's possible the book was water damaged post slabbing. Slabs aren't water proof.

Without seeing the book in hand, it's hard to tell if it was *that* badly overgraded or not. You can see it in hand, Brian, so you know exactly what it looks like, and how it's represented in the pics, but everyone else is just looking at close-up pics, and it may look worse in the pics than in real life.

As Davenport said, it's hard to imagine someone doing this with such a low value book. Sure, it could be a "trial run", but then why sell it? It's a lot of work for no real gain.

By the way....this is why the grader notes should be more specific. Not that the graders have time to do it, but it would help identify books. 1/4" inch CB crease in BRC" is a lot better than "lite crease bottom right".

PS. CGC should consider having a proprietary security feature (mark) on the inner well to id tampering.

lol

I'm guessing a "storage locker" guy tossing sizable batches at CGC, got gift-graded on a lowend book and rushed to the bank with his $10 after CGC subbing/Ebay listing fees.

You know. Not some mastermind gaming the CGC system for advantage. Probably just some bulk-dude doing his ebay thing.

Here are the notes

Grader Notes: Bottom Front Cover Wear

Spine Stress Lines

:bump:

Not the best notes. If we can see scans of the book we can compare and confirm if the label goes with this book

Also is it possible to have the water damage occur post slabbed (water damaged while book was in the slab)

Which pic shows the water damage?

I see some reddish tinge on a couple of the pics which looks like potential distributor ink.

Is there one pic that clearly shows the stain?

Agreed. I hadn't seen it either, assumed the op noticed on the inside (he says in the first post that the water damaged in on the first few pages)

Here are the notes

Spine Stress Lines

Not the best notes. If we can see scans of the book we can compare and confirm if the label goes with this book

MARVEL PREMIERE 28 / CGC 9.0 / WHITE PAGES / LEGION OF MONSTERS / 1976 / MORBIUS

You can make out the heavier spine tics. Same book as the OP shows. imho.

Here are the notes

Spine Stress Lines

MARVEL PREMIERE 28 / CGC 9.0 / WHITE PAGES / LEGION OF MONSTERS / 1976 / MORBIUS

You can make out the heavier spine tics. Same book as the OP shows. imho.

You were right about the storage locker. :D

I HAVE BEEN BUYING STORAGE LOCKERS AT AUCTION FOR SIX YEARS. I ACQUIRED A LARGE COMIC COLLECTION FROM ONE OF THE LOCKERS. THIS HAS THRUST ME INTO THE COMIC BOOK BUSINESS UNTIL THE COLLECTION IS SOLD. I WILL BE SELLING A LARGE NUMBER OF CGC CERTIFIED COMICS. I WILL ALSO BE SELLING A LARGE NUMBER OF UNCERTIFIED COMICS. LOTS OF KEY ISSUES!