• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swapped book or huge error by CGC

72 posts in this topic

Looks like I either got a swapped book or there was a huge error on the part of CGC. I rarely buy books except for the occasional magazine. But I saw a cheap 9.0 copy of Marvel Premiere 28 which I always enjoyed and thought what the heII. I finally opened it up the package today to deslabbed it. I got the package a week ago.

When I opened it up I saw cumulative flaws on the cover that would put it in the 8.0 range at best imo. Then I opened it up and there is a nice 2 inch water stain on the front cover bleeding through the first couple pages. I examined the slab. and the posts were not sealed but rather a glue like material was on each corner.

I am posting plenty of pictures for opinions on the book I feel the book is a fine at best. Odd thing is basically a worthless book why would anyone take the time to swap books at this level. I am not accusing the seller of any wrong doing. Its just very odd.

20150816_155536_zpszhzftf5h.jpg

20150816_155712_zpscy1zssun.jpg

20150816_161014_zpspps4cry5.jpg

20150816_161023_zpsa3by5jyc.jpg

20150816_161059_zpsot6nl6xg.jpg

20150816_161113_zpsqd5hxgar.jpg

20150816_161136_zpsgxou94v0.jpg

20150816_161325_zpsg5ncbgvb.jpg

It appears if you didn't submit it you have to pay for them. The label notes the page quality is white and as they are clearly cream/off white. I am assuming the "glue" is actually part of the sealing process and this book was mislabeled??

Some books fresh back from cgc will have what looks like glue sticking out of the seal. This came up in another thread a few months ago - I was certain the book had to be resealed, but it turned out some cgc slabs just have that excess glue look. I'll see if I can find that thread...

Edit: here's the thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8656137&fpart=2

Like you said, Brian, it's basically a worthless book and I don't think anyone is taking the time to swap out a book like that.

Likely very loosely graded, and/or poorly pressed with some ncb defects reappearing post grading.

9.0 is one of those grades where CGC is all over the board, and PQ has been discussed here frequently.

It's probably a legit slabbed piece-o-spoon, that is now deslabbed. I've experienced quite a few of those. :sorry:

I don't think is has ever been pressed looking at it. The defects on the cover I can understand a newbie grader calling a loose 9.0. I am being generous calling it in 8.0 range with those defects. But a large water stain going through the cover and into the book is inexcusable. I deslab all my books and most were at least in the ballpark of the assigned grade. This is clearly a mid grade book that was in a 9.0 holder.

So does anyone have a nm copy of this laying around for sale preferably raw? lol I am clearly in the market still for one.

Add it to the sig line, but that is exactly the type of book found cheap if you wait it out for a good deal.

As far as the poor press job goes, it's hard enough to determine when some books have been pressed and it's even harder to determine when they've been pressed poorly and the ncb defects have reverted. However, I doubt that's the case with this book. Probably just poorly graded and they likely missed the stain (which I find ridiculous).

Looks like a swapped book. Who would waste the time? I've spent a lot contemplating the criminal mind and I think people give them too much credit. Why did the climber ascent the peak? Because it's there. Why did the fraudster switch the slabs? Because it was there. Opportunity is 90% of crime.

I think CGC has been a bit kind toward silver/early bronze 9.0's that I have. But that has got to be the worst looking 9.0 I've ever seen.

If that was an early label, you might chalk it up to CGC getting through their teething stage. But that more recent label doesn't jibe with the condition.

A far as WHY would someone swap that issue? It's possible the seller (or whomever the seller got it from) did a swap on an inexpensive book to hone their skills before they tried to pull the switch on something more valuable. Or maybe they wanted to the 9.0 for their raw collection, and did the swap to simply recoup the price they paid. Basically, it became a free upgrade for their raw collection and they figured "hey, whoever gets this will probably never open it to check it out. And what they don't know won't hurt them. So it's win-win."

-Terry

I don't know.

Those look like standard sonic welds to me. And I've seen tons of slabs with excess plastic on the sides.

Also, the book doesn't look like it's been pressed from the photos...at least...by anyone who knew what they were doing.

I spoke to the seller. No, I didn't ask for a refund as the book clearly isn't in the shape that I bought it. He submitted the books himself. He was a bit perplexed as to why I would take it out as you are supose to keep them in he slab. lol

I don't know.

Those look like standard sonic welds to me. And I've seen tons of slabs with excess plastic on the sides.

Also, the book doesn't look like it's been pressed from the photos...at least...by anyone who knew what they were doing.

What threw me off It when I use to deslab books the tabs would break as well; this slab, all the corners tabs stayed intact.

I don't know.

What threw me off It when I use to deslab books the tabs would break as well; this slab, all the corners tabs stayed intact.

If you crack open enough slabs, you'll start to see variations like that.

I used to have a couple slabs that broke open so nicely (with corner tabs intact) that I used them as reusable displays. :)

I spoke to the seller. No, I didn't ask for a refund as the book clearly isn't in the shape that I bought it. He submitted the books himself. He was a bit perplexed as to why I would take it out as you are supose to keep them in he slab. lol

....??

YOU CAN TAKE THEM OUT??

:o

( ;) )

So you are returning it? Sellers just can't win currently. If he didn't swap the books then he sold you exactly what you bought - a CGC 9.0 comic. Sounds like you bought it on E-Bay so he has a no questions asked return policy no matter if he wanted to or not. Can you return a de slabbed copy if he sold you a slabbed one? No sure how that works.