• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think I got shilled on EBay. Do you make a stand or just pay and move on?

43 posts in this topic

What's up

I saw something in my LCS that I thought was amazing. It was the Bloody Jaws figure. I found and bought the regular Jaws figure two weeks ago, and did not know they made a Bloody version.

That lead me to looking at Ebay. Saw one. Bid. 1000% I was shilled. It was just a few bucks that I am now having to over pay for the item. But it's more the principal to me now. The shill has three bids over the last month.....all with this seller.....shocker!!!! The shill bid too much and out bid me, then retracted it making me pay my max bid, which I think is the biggest scam ever!!! If he retracts.....all his bids should be wiped.

Again it's a few bucks.....but this is bad business!!!

And the reason I posted this is.....I have seen you guys flame people for this.....so this might be like throwing out a nice fresh steak to a pack O wolves. ENJOY!!!!

It does look odd with the number of retractions, but I'm only seeing 2% of bids with this seller in the last 30 days. Which would basically be one bid.

Total bids: 44

Bid activity with this seller: 2%

Well, sellers can't see your maximum bid, so it was extremely lucky that you two bid the same amount. I'm pretty sure that the sale goes to the one to make the bid first when it's the same amount.

It looks weird with him having 100% bid activity. I have low feedback of 60 on ebay and I often go months without buying anything and I Imagine if I get into a bidding war with someone, it can look like I'm a shill bidder because I'll have 100% bidding activity with that seller.

Either way, you had a max bid that at least shows you were willing to pay that much.

The only time I ever not go through with a purchase is on second chance offers. That's usually a true sign of shill bidding, sometimes.

It does look odd with the number of retractions, but I'm only seeing 2% of bids with this seller in the last 30 days. Which would basically be one bid.

Total bids: 44

Bid activity with this seller: 2%

Ok. I must be reading it wrong. I saw three bids on different items with this same seller.

Where do you live in NJ? Do you wanna sort every Marvel comic from 1959-1980??? lol

Based on sold items, it looks like it's going anywhere from $45 to $55 shipped.

You're right at $50, which I'd assume would be the mean. If you're happy with the price and the item, then I'd proceed with the purchase. If not, you're welcome to cancel as eBay caters to the buyers. And if you're going to cancel, do it before the seller ships the item. That way you save yourself (and seller) the headache of a return.

And after examining the bidding history, I don't think it was a shill. The bidder in ? has 66 feedback and bid approximately an hour before the item ended. Not how shill bidders work in my experience.

Or a few local board members can lead a hand!!! :popcorn:

You supply the booze, hookers and other assorted unmentionables and I'll bring my comic loving over to sort...in dirty Jerzy!!!! :)

Ummmmm I am a Police Officer, so no hookers and unmentionables can be provided, so I could just give you some beer.....booze and you may the train wreck that is my comic collection worse. What kinda beer am I buying YOU? :popcorn:

Or a few local board members can lead a hand!!! :popcorn:

You supply the booze, hookers and other assorted unmentionables and I'll bring my comic loving over to sort...in dirty Jerzy!!!! :)

Ummmmm I am a Police Officer, so no hookers and unmentionables can be provided, so I could just give you some beer.....booze and you may the train wreck that is my comic collection worse. What kinda beer am I buying YOU? :popcorn:

lol