• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats a Good Trade for New Mutant 98?

30 posts in this topic

So i slacked off for the past few years thinking i could come across a New Mutants 98 for 50-100$ (i saw sooooooo many sub 100$ New Mutant's around 2011-12)

I effed up.

Im trying to put together some of my rare higher value books im willing to trade... but im not 100% sure if it would be considered good or not based on ebay.

1st i have a What If Venom Possessed Deadpool im hoping will grade 9.8 which Raws go for about 150$ graded 9.8's look to be around 300$+

98 looks to be absolutely bonkers on ebay from 150$ to a few grand so i cant get a good gauge... but im fine with anything higher than 9.6

would that be considered a reasonable trade... or should i put some more books into the mix?

Should i hold onto my What if? it seems pretty pricey for such a modern book sooo im not sure if ill regret it later on... iono... just looking for some helpful advice! thanks!

well deadpool will probably keep increasing and is about $400 in CGC 9.6 now.

Sooo if you can trade your What if CGC 9.8 for a raw Deadpool 9.6, that's about fair....for now. Basically, look up the values, and see what it would take if YOU were on the OTHER SIDE to get you to trade your NM 98.

Why is that What If book worth anything? I am not being snarky here. Why? I am not familiar with it, but it doesn't introduce any new characters, correct? If you could trade that off along with a couple of other things and then throw in some cash then I would do it.

I do not have a NM98. I have never owned one. I would like to but the print run on this book is very high it seems and with a 9.9 and a 10.0 I feel that the 9.8's are overpriced. However, the market proves me wrong as people support the book at the price it is.

One day I may get a copy but I would be okay with a 9.6 over a 9.8 based on the difference in value.

Why is that What If book worth anything? I am not being snarky here. Why? I am not familiar with it, but it doesn't introduce any new characters, correct? If you could trade that off along with a couple of other things and then throw in some cash then I would do it.

I do not have a NM98. I have never owned one. I would like to but the print run on this book is very high it seems and with a 9.9 and a 10.0 I feel that the 9.8's are overpriced. However, the market proves me wrong as people support the book at the price it is.

One day I may get a copy but I would be okay with a 9.6 over a 9.8 based on the difference in value.

I was super surprised when i saw how much the What If book was going for... i think it was just a very low print run? i dunno... im a huge Skottie Young fan, so i just picked it up when it came out because of the cover lol.

I just pulled it out of my longbox and totally forgot i had it signed by Young un-witnessed... so im a little bummed out now... dont know if Green Label is worth it... might as well just keep it for sentimental value now xD

Im still wanting the NM98 so ill have to figure out what im willing to part with for it...

So i slacked off for the past few years thinking i could come across a New Mutants 98 for 50-100$ (i saw sooooooo many sub 100$ New Mutant's around 2011-12)

I effed up.

Im trying to put together some of my rare higher value books im willing to trade... but im not 100% sure if it would be considered good or not based on ebay.

1st i have a What If Venom Possessed Deadpool im hoping will grade 9.8 which Raws go for about 150$ graded 9.8's look to be around 300$+

98 looks to be absolutely bonkers on ebay from 150$ to a few grand so i cant get a good gauge... but im fine with anything higher than 9.6

would that be considered a reasonable trade... or should i put some more books into the mix?

Should i hold onto my What if? it seems pretty pricey for such a modern book sooo im not sure if ill regret it later on... iono... just looking for some helpful advice! thanks!

I sold a CGC 8.5 WP NM # 98 for $175 about a year and a half ago on eBay, which I was kinda miffed about.Back in March I sold a spot on raw 9.6 copy at a show for $300.Last week I sold a raw FN - copy for $199.95 (+ $26 shipping to Belgium).

That said, timing is crucial.If you can fast track your What if Deadpool/Venom and it gets a 9.8, I'd say give that up in a straight up trade for a CGC 9.4 slabbed NM 98.

Or throw in another $100-$150 in trade value for a CGC 9.6 copy of NM 98.

Opt for the What If to be screened by CCS for pressable defects.If CCS indicates it has pressable defects, have them press it (fast track the pressing, too) before it gets sent to CGC for grading.

If you don't get a 9.8 on the What If, then simply trade it for a slightly lower grade, slabbed NM 98....like a CGC 9.6 What If for a CGC 9.0 NM 98.

That said, you can still buy raw higher grade (VF/NM's or a bit better) NM 98's in auction style lisings off eBay, as well, I'd guess for around $250.YOu just have to be good at grading books in scans.And always, when you go to pay, specify that you want a shipping qoute including BOXED shipping.

That said, timing is crucial.If you can fast track your What if Deadpool/Venom and it gets a 9.8, I'd say give that up in a straight up trade for a CGC 9.4 slabbed NM 98.

That's a totally lopsided trade - the other guy would have to be nuts to go for this.

I'm not sure why a trade would even be part of the plan.

Anyone who is selling NM 98 is interested in cash. What are they odds they're equally interested in another (less desirable) Deadpool book they'll have to sell for cash to a smaller group of buyers?

("Less desirable" doesn't mean it is worth less than NM 98 in an appropriate grade... it means fewer people desire the What If.)

The only times to trade is when you are truly constrained by the rarity of your book or the access to a sufficient marketplace (which might make your book rare), and occasionally, when you're trading up or down for a different grade of your book.

probably best to get that cash.

NM98s are about as liquid as a book gets... I doubt anyone would consider trading unless you had some rare, hard to find, one of a kind book that they happened to be into.

Otherwise you're probably looking at having to trade $2 for $1 or something seriously in his favor to make it worth his while to trade rather than just take cash from the tons of people looking to buy NM98s

That's a totally lopsided trade - the other guy would have to be nuts to go for this.

I didn't check GPA, just guesstimated, I was a bit off but definitely not totally lopsided.

But after looking, A 9.8 What if venom/Deadpool is $37 shy of the last sale of a NM #98 in 9.4.

So I was off, a bit.Throw in twice the discrepancy in cash $74 (just call it $75) cash and I think that'd be a fair deal for both.

$337 sounds like an auction price and not a BIN sale....so as a seller, I don't think a BIN of $375 would take long to move.I think $350 (+ shipping) would be a very quick sale.

Here's GPA on the What If Venom/Deadpool in 9.8:

Grade

Notes 2013 Avg 2014 Avg 12Mnth Avg 90Day Avg Last Sale

( 9.8 ) (3) $133 (9) $209 (18) $307 (10) $313 $330

And here's GPA on N.M. #98 in 9.4:

( 9.4 ) (104) $165 (142) $253 (209) $346 (50) $367 $375 Aug-2015

And in 9.6:

9.6 ) (230) $215 (276) $322 (344) $426 (92) $449 $435 Aug-2015

I didn't check GPA, just guesstimated, I was a bit off but definitely not totally lopsided.

But after looking, A 9.8 What if venom/Deadpool is $37 shy of the last sale of a NM #98 in 9.4.

So I was off, a bit.Throw in twice the discrepancy in cash $74 (just call it $75) cash and I think that'd be a fair deal for both.

$337 sounds like an auction price and not a BIN sale....so as a seller, I don't think a BIN of $375 would take long to move.I think $350 (+ shipping) would be a very quick sale.

You're missing the point.

NM #98 is about as liquid as it gets when it comes to comic books - which is pretty far from the case when it comes to the What If. As such, you can't just do a straight-up GPA comparison and pretend that the 2 books are equal.