• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people on ebay getting more desperate?

31 posts in this topic

So how are the ebay rules affecting you? i.e. can't leave negative feedback for a buyer.

Getting more chargebacks like PayPal?

-increase in scam buyers?

I quit selling on Ebay years ago when these new rules went into place but may sell again and just take my chances.

Knock wood, but I haven't had any scam buyers or chargebacks through Paypal on anything I've sold in the last 2 years or so. I had one return due to a dispute in the grade range given for the lot, and a couple non-payers over that time as well. 99% of my sales have been problem free. But I'm not selling items for thousands each, we are talking about $10 to $4-500 tops for the most part, not really scammer target range.

I switched over to BIN sales rather than auctions awhile ago and haven't looked back, thanks to some advice from my fellow boardies. My sales are doing way better than when I was doing strictly auctions. I usually don't even bother with a best offer unless the book is $150 or above and sometimes not even then.

I typically put new books up for auction for one week. If they do not sell, I move them to BIN at a higher price. Some books that did not sell at auction, sell right away at BIN for the higher price.

If a book stays on BIN for a period of time with minimal interest, I will move it to auction at a slightly lower price and frequently it sells.

My eBay sales have definitely picked up in the past three months.

Just my 2 cents as an eBay buyer...

The books I am now looking for are 95% of the time ridiculously priced 2-4 times over guide when listed as BIN or with BO so I do not even bother.

If I am looking for something and see it listed at guide or a reasonable price then I will usually buy it right away or it may be gone later on but, that has been rare lately.

That’s what I think as well.

I’m sure white_rushin priced them reasonably, and so they sold. That is what I do when I need certain issues, but these days I generally try to buy them from the UK, if they are moderns and I can find them, because even if the exchange rate is not favorable and shipping is expensive, I can have them quickly and purchase small quantities, which I can’t do from the USA.

I was wondering if any of you have encountered situations like this.

I had a few books that weren't garnering attention or selling at the price I was looking for here on the boards. In fact, I don't even think I got a single PM asking for a lower price.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I proceeded to take down the listing and post them up on ebay at a slightly higher cost to compensate for the extra fees.

The books sat there for 2-3 day at a BIN with a best offer feature. 2 out of the 3 listings sold at the asking price without the buyers even offering a lower price of say $5-10 off.

I was just surprised at the trend of both items selling without any haggling in the best offer process. They both paid immediately as well.

For those who sell on ebay, does this happen a lot? Has it been happening more with the influx of newer "collectors"?

Yes, to me it does. In the past couple months I have sold an ASM #300, Alias #1, Runaways #1, Death in the Family pieces, Batman Year 1 set, Batman: The Killing Joke 1st Print, Batman The Long Halloween pieces, and more with no haggles and quickly purchased.

Every once in a while I've had this happen; I put a book up for BIN or BO at $225. I got not one nibble or offer and about 5 watchers. So I decided to put it up for a 7 day auction with a starting bid of $0.99. The book sold for $259. Go figure. I've had this happen several times where a book has sold at auction for more than what I had it listed at a BIN. Maybe people just get caught up in the bidding.

Every once in a while I've had this happen; I put a book up for BIN or BO at $225. I got not one nibble or offer and about 5 watchers. So I decided to put it up for a 7 day auction with a starting bid of $0.99. The book sold for $259. Go figure. I've had this happen several times where a book has sold at auction for more than what I had it listed at a BIN. Maybe people just get caught up in the bidding.

It could be that those who are likely to want your book limit their searches to auction listings. Ever since eBay cut back on how many free auctions listings (as well as free re-listings) -- my sales are down big time.

They are seriously screwing themselves when it comes to small scale sellers. They should let anyone who is selling 100 items or less have free auction listings with free re-listing--- more stuff to sell, more likely to sell = more profit in general.

Somewhere along the way, some management genius decided it was time to squeeze the small sellers (nickels and dimes versus 10% commission) and it has severely changed how listings are done and who is doing them. All this under some great inspiration to IMPROVE eBay-- by fixing the few things that were not broken.

Since I returned to selling more on ebay I have not had someone buy at my fixed price, but have had enough strong offers to feel like I have not been wasting my time. I tend to price at an average of the top few comparable sales, not based on how other books are priced. Auctions have been hit or miss. Hot books do well even with a high opening bid. As I offer free shipping, I do not do 99 cent auctions or anything risky.