• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can Anyone help Identify this art 1960s-1950s

7 posts in this topic

I have owned this for a while now and was actually trying to sell it, but decided to take a second look at it due to the quality of the illustration. My thought was Galaxy Magazine which ran from 1950-1970s. I searched and found scans of the books online from 1950-1959 but none beyond. I noticed something; after the fall of EC Wally Wood turned to other genres including magazine/ pulp art the same style as this piece. I am by no means a Wood expert, but I thought that there were similarities between what I saw and this. According to one site he did 60 issues of Galaxy Magazine thru 1960. I have not been able to find scans beyond 1959 online. The chance of it being him are slim to none. I bought it as an unknown artist. I know there are other magazines/ pulps out there from this era and I am hoping someone may have a clue or know where this was published. There are no copyright marks on it and no clues as to the origin. I took various pics of the art with hopes of identifying it.

20150822_171609_zpskdtp8p5o.jpg

20150822_171640_zpspndgnagg.jpg

20150822_171659_zpsjbaz4ywv.jpg

20150822_171721_zpsf6adzhvs.jpg

20150822_171856_zpsptqep4xl.jpg

Artwork does have a look of Woody in parts, though I'm far from convinced it's his work. Maybe an assistant (he had those)?

There are blogs on Woody's Galaxy work (I've checked them out and don't see your illustration). Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.null-entropy.com/2012/03/wally-wood1927-1981the-galaxy-illustrations-pt-1/

Its tough. I emailed the author of the upcoming book. He hasn't responded, but a synopsis states there are 200 illustrations another source says over 160. One place states his work ended in 1960 on the magazine another 1967. There is a lot of similar but conflicting information. Wood is a possibility in my mind, but there are so many artists out there it could be almost anyone.