• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the Canadian dollar is so weak why don't we see a ton of Canadian sellers?

101 posts in this topic

I sold a nice book here last week. I took a golden age high grade Cap that I couldn't sell on the boards, down to Chicago and sold to a dealer for the boards asking price within 20 minutes of entering the con. He practically pulled it out of my hands. Just for the record I sell because I want to, not because I have to.

Guys are likely afraid to sell off their books as the dollar has been projected to fall further still meaning buying back the book will be even more expensive in the following months.

Yes, Canadian dollar is expected to fall even further as this is still primarily a resource based economy. Resources are expected to continue to be hit with the economic downturn that is taking place in China.

Hence, no hurry to sell right now as you might get even more dollars next year as the Canadian dollar falls even further. hm

It stings a little knowing that I have to add 35% to account for the exchange rate. However, I haven't curtailed my buying. If I see something that I need, I'll bite the bullet. As for selling, I primarily sell at the VCC every 4 months so I'll just wait until November. No need to rush it as the dollar will probably get worse anyway...

When I still lived in Canada I couldn't stomach paying the exchange rate for a long time, but when the dollars were at about par I did a lot of buying. I would not be buying now if I still earned in CDN - I would only sell to fund new purchases as well (which is what I have been doing anyway) - as much as it is nice to make a profit from a few books, a lot of people just like to have them.

It's not easy to buy books in US dollars right now.

I have some US$ saved up that I'm dipping into (bought at a better exchange rate a few months ago)

Once that dries up, I'm going to start selling some books in US$, keep it US funds and buy more books

When there are no more books I'm willing to part with, I will either save the money, or pay the exchange....

Let's all send our positive vibes to the CDN dollar.... OOOHHmmMMM

You don't see a lot of sellers because we (in general terms) bought fiscally responsibly and don't need to sell book.

I am not in a financial hole so I don't need funds to pay bills.

Only selling will be to fund more buying

I am still spending a couple of grand or more each month or month and a half on books from auctions and dealers, with the auction lots being primarily for resale here and the keys to be stashed away for a later date.

That being said, with the downturn in the oilpatch there should be a few more collections starting to surface locally so I may curtail my US spending to focus on better deals up here instead.

If the loonie drops further I will be cleaning out anything worthwhile from all of the LCSs in town (or any of the decent books that thehumantorch and Artboy99 bring to the fall shows :devil: ) to flip here or on eBay to capture a 30%+ return. It worked well during the 2000-2002 loonie lows and will be a good play again now.

You don't see a lot of sellers because we (in general terms) bought fiscally responsibly and don't need to sell book.

I call BS on that... we are as fiscally irresponsible as anybody. ;) Cdn household debt is high

:lol: Too funny. There are a lot of folks that seem to run fire sales because of their purchasing habits.

:lol: Too funny. There are a lot of folks that seem to run fire sales because of their purchasing habits.

Only when my wife notices that the long boxes have spilled out of the office and into the hallway and other areas of the house. :tonofbricks:

Once I set up the wine racks in the new location she wants them in there will be no problem as she will not walk by the "comic" area of the house on a regular basis. lol

Buying is a killer on the pocket book right now

Selling is hard as fedx to USA is insane to US costumers

Shipping is going to and is really hurting collecting in Canada more than currency exchange ( My 2 cents )

Buying is a killer on the pocket book right now

Selling is hard as fedx to USA is insane to US costumers

Shipping is going to and is really hurting collecting in Canada more than currency exchange ( My 2 cents )

'

Charge them more. :baiting:

My buying has completely halted as everything I buy is from the US. There just is no selection (for any product) in Canada, I also don't buy that our dollar is based on oil prices, if it is, its the first I've ever heard of it. Oil has been cheap before, and our dollar never changed, I think they drop our dollar to stop Canadians from buying in the US, and force us to keep our money here. It also encourages US residents to spend their money in Canada.

Just MY opinion.