• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the Canadian dollar is so weak why don't we see a ton of Canadian sellers?

101 posts in this topic

When the Canadian dollar was so strong it seemed like half the nice books were flowing up north. Now that the dollar is strong you would thing the Canadians would be selling us books. Any reason it seems like its a one way stream?

Could be that a lot was collectors finally able to afford/willing to pay (cause it was like a market downturn for them) some higher end books when the Canadian & US dollar was on more even footing, but now that they exchange is back to the way it was for most of my lifetime, it's back more to the historical status quo?

I keep buying and selling, selling off duplicates, buying higher grade stuff.

Or stuff I am interested in.

Exchange rate doesn't factor in too much.

If I am willing to pay the price, i buy it.

Ditto me too... I'm a Canadian. I try to buy nice books whenever I can afford. I do have many duplicate copies in boxes for selling. Just that I don't have time to do scans. Will see about after Thanksgiving season.

Population is a big factor:

Canada has a population of about 36million. California has a population of 38 million. USA has a population of 320million...would you notice a 10% increase? I have enjoyed the sinking dollar for selling, it allows me to buy books here in Canada at great prices and then turn them to the USA and make the exchange since its about 30% after fees etc. I hate having to buy in the USA as everything is expensive.

Guys are likely afraid to sell off their books as the dollar has been projected to fall further still meaning buying back the book will be even more expensive in the following months.

It has really been a detourant if you are buying high end books.

On 24 August 2015, 1.00 U.S. dollar(s) = 1.32 Canadian Dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 1.3213 (using nominal rate).

For every $1000 you times it by 1.3213 and you have just spent an extra $321.30 cents on a $1000 book.

If you are selling I do believe the pay pal is only paying you 1.20 and pocketing the rest. It has made me take a step back and hold off on large purchases.

Then again its summer here and we only have 2 months of non snow months so people are on vacations.

Once September hits maybe it will pick up again. (shrug)

I don't sell, and I've been avoiding buying in US due to the exchange. Haven't found much locally, so I've been saving :)

When I go to the shows here, majority of the stuff I see are the hot books of the week - you know, stuff that people flip daily in facebook. I think majority of nice / high end books are sold on-line in US currency.

I hope the CDN$ keeps sinking! Sink baby!!

I'm really good with it too :wishluck:

Jim

So far, it's been alright with me as long I can find some great deals in my wandering around yard sales. I only buy books from U.S. If they are on my wanted list and in high grades. Unless if happens in Canada ... more better for me!

And... yes, up here in the Great White North are much fewer geese (collectors) than you eagles.