• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the Canadian dollar is so weak why don't we see a ton of Canadian sellers?

101 posts in this topic

My buying has completely halted as everything I buy is from the US. There just is no selection (for any product) in Canada, I also don't buy that our dollar is based on oil prices, if it is, its the first I've ever heard of it. Oil has been cheap before, and our dollar never changed, I think they drop our dollar to stop Canadians from buying in the US, and force us to keep our money here. It also encourages US residents to spend their money in Canada.

Just MY opinion.

:preach:

....that thought has crossed my mind as well. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You don't see a lot of sellers because we (in general terms) bought fiscally responsibly and don't need to sell book.

I call BS on that... we are as fiscally irresponsible as anybody. ;) Cdn household debt is high

true but if the yanks dont look to Canada for Sales we can scoop it ourselves

My buying has completely halted as everything I buy is from the US. There just is no selection (for any product) in Canada, I also don't buy that our dollar is based on oil prices, if it is, its the first I've ever heard of it. Oil has been cheap before, and our dollar never changed, I think they drop our dollar to stop Canadians from buying in the US, and force us to keep our money here. It also encourages US residents to spend their money in Canada.

Just MY opinion.

I think that has a lot to do with it.

Over the last 7-8 years Canada has worked hard to pump out a ton of oil by investing lots into infrastructure in the oil producing areas, creating a 'boom' that helped the whole country along.

The heavy oil producing countires in the East have driven down the price of oil by increasing supply in an effort to outproduce the Western world.

That drop in price has made Canadian oil production much less profitable than they were used to causing a lot of people looking for work as the oil industry slows down.

It's just going to take a little time for people who relied on the oil industry to re-position their jobs. I don't think it's a long term problem for Canada.

We're rich in technology, manufacturing, all resources and of course land, air and water. We've got a pretty conservative banking system. We'll be fine.

Just MY opinion.

Over the last 7-8 years Canada has worked hard to pump out a ton of oil by investing lots into infrastructure in the oil producing areas, creating a 'boom' that helped the whole country along.

The heavy oil producing countires in the East have driven down the price of oil by increasing supply in an effort to outproduce the Western world.

That drop in price has made Canadian oil production much less profitable than they were used to causing a lot of people looking for work as the oil industry slows down.

It's just going to take a little time for people who relied on the oil industry to re-position their jobs. I don't think it's a long term problem for Canada.

We're rich in technology, manufacturing, all resources and of course land, air and water. We've got a pretty conservative banking system. We'll be fine.

The exchange rate is determined in the market, so I'm not sure who the "they" is who is supposed to be manipulating it. The price of oil does have a significant effect on the value of the Canadian dollar as does the fact that the Bank of Canada has been cutting its target for the overnight lending rate while the U.S Fed is expected (still) to raise its target rate this year.

The falling Canadian dollar is great news for Canadian firms that export to the U.S., bad news for U.S. firms that export to Canada, and intensely annoying to Canadian comic collectors!

Just MY opinion.

The exchange rate is determined in the market, so I'm not sure who the "they" is who is supposed to be manipulating it. The price of oil does have a significant effect on the value of the Canadian dollar as does the fact that the Bank of Canada has been cutting its target for the overnight lending rate while the U.S Fed is expected (still) to raise its target rate this year.

The falling Canadian dollar is great news for Canadian firms that export to the U.S., bad news for U.S. firms that export to Canada, and intensely annoying to Canadian comic collectors!

Macro economic nerd

Just MY opinion.

I meant that the drop in oil production has a lot to do with it. Not the 'they'.

I agree with you.

The Canadian Dollar has really cut back my buying on auction.

after your upcharge at Heritage Plus your exchange plus shipping it almost makes it impossible to buy on auction..

However buying locally has been great . Buying at small shows has been wonderful while also being able to sell off afew books here and there in USD is perfect !

There are 3 shows coming up in alberta in the next few months. All will have some deals in Canadian dollars. Buying in a low dollar local environment has been very very good. For any Yanks interested shows like Edmonton will have some decent deals as will the smaller Calgary shows and lethbridge shows.

My strategy has been ..

Buy some decent books in Canadian funds then sell off half of them in USD and pay for the entire load of books.. (But keep the nice ones for me )

after your upcharge at Heritage Plus your exchange plus shipping it almost makes it impossible to buy on auction..

However buying locally has been great . Buying at small shows has been wonderful while also being able to sell off afew books here and there in USD is perfect !

There are 3 shows coming up in alberta in the next few months. All will have some deals in Canadian dollars. Buying in a low dollar local environment has been very very good. For any Yanks interested shows like Edmonton will have some decent deals as will the smaller Calgary shows and lethbridge shows.

My strategy has been ..

Buy some decent books in Canadian funds then sell off half of them in USD and pay for the entire load of books.. (But keep the nice ones for me )

links for Calgary -->

http://www.comicandtoy.ca/

Just MY opinion.

Totally agree, not to mention a huge tourism boom that we're seeing as Americans flock north.

Personally, I've all but quit buying and have started to eBay extras, and books I pick up locally. I made a ton on eBay 10 years ago when the dollar dropped before, it's a great time to be an exporter.

My strategy has been ..

I just noticed that Stan Lee is now listed for Friday and Saturday of the Edmonton Expo. Hopefully that drives sales of low to mid grade SA Marvel books as well as it did a couple of years ago in Calgary. :devil:

I am keeping a fund in American dollars, whether in pay-pal or a U.S. bank account. This is preparing me for a further slide as analysts predict a $.70 cent dollar by the end of the year.

Time to go cross the border and hit up some comic shops!

I am keeping a fund in American dollars, whether in pay-pal or a U.S. bank account. This is preparing me for a further slide as analysts predict a $.70 cent dollar by the end of the year.

Time to go cross the border and hit up some comic shops!

I just came back from Wizard World where few ppl saw my money. Some even kept it.

If the US Fed raises rates in September or October we could see the loonie drop below $0.70 cents. At that point I may start to liquidate everything to cash in on the exchange rate bonus. hm

The nice thing about the loonie drop is even if you paid full market earlier this year you would be up 10 - 20% in CDN terms. lol

If the US Fed raises rates in September or October we could see the loonie drop below $0.70 cents. At that point I may start to liquidate everything to cash in on the exchange rate bonus. hm

The nice thing about the loonie drop is even if you paid full market earlier this year you would be up 10 - 20% in CDN terms. lol

:cry: may never buy again at this rate...

Most canadian sellers use US post offices because Canada Post is more wildly_fanciful_statement then the low dollar.

I know Canada Post has a shocking reputation, but I buy keys and rad books from Wall-Crawler on a fairly regular basis and Canada Post has been landing the slabs in my lap (here in Australia) faster and cheaper than USPS does, let alone that monstrous Global Shipping Program!

Most canadian sellers use US post offices because Canada Post is more wildly_fanciful_statement then the low dollar.

I know Canada Post has a shocking reputation, but I buy keys and rad books from Wall-Crawler on a fairly regular basis and Canada Post has been landing the slabs in my lap (here in Australia) faster and cheaper than USPS does, let alone that monstrous Global Shipping Program!

we all know those government agencies in 'Former Team UK' countries treat each other better than they do everyone else. You can ship overnight Toronto to Hong Kong for $4CDN but its 3 weeks from Vancouver to Seattle for $40CDN.

*numbers and shipping times in the above example may be slightly exaggerated for effect.

It is a double edged sword, in one respect anything I bought at, below or over cost I would either make my money back or more at this exchange rate. On the other end if I were to sell everything I don't think I would be able to acquire it again at the current exchange rate and escalating comic key prices. It also makes me think twice before I purchase anything comic, art or commission because everything is in American dollars. I will probably start curbing my spending because it is getting way too expensive and I am not always getting my money's worth.

It is a double edged sword, in one respect anything I bought at, below or over cost I would either make my money back or more at this exchange rate. On the other end if I were to sell everything I don't think I would be able to acquire it again at the current exchange rate and escalating comic key prices. It also makes me think twice before I purchase anything comic, art or commission.

Right. Its a GREAT TIME to liquidate if you're done with comics, but rising replacement costs pretty much nullify any other profits unless you can buy other items you want from Canadian venues.