• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Hit with a Negative Feedback

17 posts in this topic

I ended up with a bunch of paperbacks in a large collection of comics I purchased. I put some of the better stuff (according to Graham Holroyd's Paperback Prices - First Edition) up on eBay in 20 different lots.

All the buyers were very pleased and have been posting positive feedback. Believe me, I work very hard at being the best seller possible. I ship the next day after receiving funds. My packaging is top notch.

Anyway, I sell a fellow 3 paperbacks that I advertised as First Printings. It turns out that one was a second printing. Here was his first email to me:

>>>I ordered paperbacks and the posting says 1st editions. The one I wanted from the 3, Women's Barracks is a 2nd edition. Since this is the one I wanted of the 3, I am obviously a little annoyed. In the future be a little bit more careful in your descriptions.<<<

It was dated 2/23/05 at 6:36 p.m..

He seemed annoyed but resigned to his fate. I didn't think he should have to buy books he didn't want. Here was my response dated 2/23/05 at 10:01 p.m.:

>>>I'm sorry if I misreprented the books to you. I just assumed that the books were first printings based on the information I got from a price guide ((Paperback Prices and Checklist by Graham Lloyd). I will promptly refund your money and postage if you're unhappy with the transaction.

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed.<<<

I got this response back on 2/24/05 at 10:01 a.m.:

>>>I think it is fine. I apologize, but I did give you, when I opened the package, a negative feedback. I don't think I can revise this. But, I want to thank you for getting back to me promptly and giving the offer. The price is correct for a 1st edition but not for 2nd edition. I will be looking for other books in the future.

Best Regards,<<<

WHAT!?? Negative feedback right out of the box without a chance to clarify things? Then he doesn't want his money back anyway?

I responded thusly:

>>>It is really too bad that you posted negative feedback so soon without contacting me to resolve the dispute. I work extremely hard to be the best seller possible. As I said in my last email I would have promptly refunded your purchase price and shipping charges. I am not a professional used book seller. I'm a comic book collector/dealer and made an honest mistake about an item I'm not familiar with. It was very irresponsible of you to post negative feedback without contacting me first.

Now I am screwed. There's nothing that will take this black mark off my record. Ironically, you're not upset enough with the transaction to want your money back, yet you posted the negative feedback anyway.

I just don't get it.

Anyway, maybe if you beg eBay to remove the negative feedback - and explain the circumstances - they may do something. It's worth a shot. Let me know if you will.<<<

Is this scenario possible? Will eBay retract a negative feedback? Everything I see on the site says no unless there's a legal problem.

Does anyone hear have any experience or tips to give me. This fellow responded to my request with this email:

>>>Basically, I don't even have time to get to the

post office to return books. That's why I am

keeping a book that really doesn't have any value

to me.

If you can tell me exactly what e-mail that I

should send an e-mail to to retract the negative

response, I will do it. My quick looking around

e-bay, I couldn't find it. I only have time to

send one e-mail, not to get into a long discourse.

Also, I am basically annoyed to get a book that

was mis-advertised.

Just for reference the item number was.

Item No. 6946924286 (check this.) If you can

compose what you want me to send them I will

send it directly as you word it.

That's the best I can do. Otherwise I have

to move on.<<<

Sorry to burden you guys with this but if it's possible to retract it, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Gary

I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I looked everywhere and could not find this.

Brotha, you are my brother. Rocketeer, you rock!

I've started the process. Hopefully this guy will do the right thing.

Thanks, guys.

--Gary

Moondog, Let me quote the first thing you said to the son of a [#@$%!!!], then I will point out where you blew it here in quenching the son of a [#@$%!!!]'s fire.

"I'm sorry if I misreprented the books to you. I just assumed that the books were first printings based on the information I got from a price guide ((Paperback Prices and Checklist by Graham Lloyd). I will promptly refund your money and postage if you're unhappy with the transaction.

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed."

Moondog, you should have said: I'm sorry that I misrepresented the books to you. I totally blew it. I'm not entirely familiar with these books but I thought I had double checked everything with the Paperback Prices and Checklist by Graham Lloyd. Please return the paperbacks and I will immediately refund your auction payment and the postage you spend returning the books. Again, I am terribly sorry and I will try my best to never let this happen again.

Moondog, when the son of a [#@$%!!!] read the "if I misrepresented" line that royally pissed him off because he interpreted it that you were not owning up to the mistake that he is so passionately about. Second, when you mention that you will refund his $$ "if" he is unhappy, that also pissed him off. He is obviously fuming and he no doubt interpreted that "if" as to read that you are not empathetic with his feelings -the frikken' sissy.

Moondog, Let me quote the first thing you said to the son of a [#@$%!!!], then I will point out where you blew it here in quenching the son of a [#@$%!!!]'s fire.

"I'm sorry if I misreprented the books to you. I just assumed that the books were first printings based on the information I got from a price guide ((Paperback Prices and Checklist by Graham Lloyd). I will promptly refund your money and postage if you're unhappy with the transaction.

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed."

Moondog, you should have said: I'm sorry that I misrepresented the books to you. I totally blew it. I'm not entirely familiar with these books but I thought I had double checked everything with the Paperback Prices and Checklist by Graham Lloyd. Please return the paperbacks and I will immediately refund your auction payment and the postage you spend returning the books. Again, I am terribly sorry and I will try my best to never let this happen again.

Moondog, when the son of a [#@$%!!!] read the "if I misrepresented" line that royally pissed him off because he interpreted it that you were not owning up to the mistake that he is so passionately about. Second, when you mention that you will refund his $$ "if" he is unhappy, that also pissed him off. He is obviously fuming and he no doubt interpreted that "if" as to read that you are not empathetic with his feelings -the frikken' sissy.

27_laughing.gif

Calm down man. They are willing to work it out to fix the feedback. You are too funny. tongue.gif

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm back to 100% - 60 for 60...

The guy had just enough remorse to live up to his end of the agreement, I guess.

Thanks again to Rocketeer and DCB for their assistance.

--Gary

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm back to 100% - 60 for 60...

The guy had just enough remorse to live up to his end of the agreement, I guess.

Thanks again to Rocketeer and DCB for their assistance.

--Gary

thumbsup2.gif

My pleasure, just glad that everything worked out.