• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warren Ellis writes James Bond - VARGR

18 posts in this topic

This is obviously going to be amazing, right?

"I'm writing a comics series for Dynamite called JAMES BOND 007. These are new stories of Ian Fleming's James Bond -- not the film version. This is the Bond of the books, which the films have only very occasionally gotten near. Right now, I'm contracted for twelve monthly issues, which will translate into two graphic novels, the first of which is VARGR, a novel of cold places. I am joined by the superb artist Jason Masters, and the cover design is by the sainted Rian Hughes."

Out in November.

2vnhtmx.jpg

“Bond is not a superman. He prevails because he is quite simply nastier and more determined to wreak utter bloody havoc than the next guy. In some ways – and I don’t think Fleming was unaware of this – he is what Allen Ginsberg called ‘bleak male energy’, causing and taking immense damage in single-minded pursuit of what he wants,” wrote Ellis. “He is England’s blunt instrument of international assault – the spiteful, vicious of a faded empire that still wants the world to do as it’s bloody well told.”

Ellis also said that “the films try to recoil from Bond the , most obviously in the later, parodic Roger Moore horrors”, with the books “notably less spectacular and far more low-key”. Fleming’s novels, he wrote, show the character as “a scarred man with clear psychological damage, often on the edge of being removed from service by M on mental health grounds”, with it “made stridently obvious that being on the 00 detail of the Secret Service is a job that you up”.

Can't wait.

Lastly, the solicitation. There are 8 covers for those who like to get excited about that kind of thing.

------------------

JAMES BOND #1

(W) Warren Ellis (A) Jason Masters (CA) Dom Reardon

Beginning “VARGR”, the first story in the ongoing James Bond comic series by best-selling writer Warren Ellis! James Bond returns to London after a mission of vengeance in Helsinki, to take up the workload of a fallen 00 Section agent. But something evil is moving through the back streets of the city, and sinister plans are being laid for Bond in Berlin…

In Stores November 4th in advance of the block buster movie on November 6th! Dynamite Entertainment is proud to launch the first James Bond comic book series in 20 years! “Ian Fleming’s James Bond is an icon, and it’s a delight to tell visual narratives with the original, brutal, damaged Bond of the books.” – Warren Ellis

FC, 32pgs $3.99

Agreed! This chapter was better than anything in SPECTRE. Utter garbage.

What's spectre?

Odd that they didn't mention it in the film, but If I recall correctly, SPECTRE stands for SPecial Executive, Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion.

Sorry for bump. Anyone reading this? Been debating it, today's issue is stellar from what I hear...thank you in advance!

Yes, buy them read them and enjoy. This is one that you will enjoy for what

comics are suppose to be, not for the $$$ , or investment,

but the art and story.