• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics Down Over $2 Million On Projected Figures For 2015

187 posts in this topic

I had to look up the official take on "DC YOU". Their tagline is "Are You Ready for the New DC Universe?" but then they go on to show a disjointed mishmash of stuff that comes across as nothing like a cohesive, clean, clear, well defined Universe.

Maybe DC's attempting a YouTube-style approach? Throw anything and everything out there, see what percolates to the top. Except, unlike free vids, they'll be experimenting using customer's dollars to find out.

Well, good luck trying to please everyone DC. That always goes well.

Wow! What a shock, DC is gonna kill Barry again!? Poor guy ain't back a full decade and already DC wamts to off 'em.

:roflmao:

Death To The Flash?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/26/death-to-the-flash/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Sweet. I like Wally better anyway. Unfortunately, looks like he isn't dying...just becoming the God of death.

I had to look up the official take on "DC YOU". Their tagline is "Are You Ready for the New DC Universe?" but then they go on to show a disjointed mishmash of stuff that comes across as nothing like a cohesive, clean, clear, well defined Universe.

Maybe DC's attempting a YouTube-style approach? Throw anything and everything out there, see what percolates to the top. Except, unlike free vids, they'll be experimenting using customer's dollars to find out.

Well, good luck trying to please everyone DC. That always goes well.

WOW!

Looks very unappealing!

I never thought I say it, but the new DC 52 looks better than this. I rather watch the Fantastic Four Josh Trank reboot again than read what DC has in store for it`s fans.

It looks like a mess.

Good luck if your a modern DC comic book reader. It doesn`t look like the DC Universe I remember.

:wishluck:

There are some interesting things in there. But most of it is the stuff closest to what they've always done. I enjoy origins stories a lot, but the coming of age stuff looks pretty bad. Also, they're really trying to oversell the "funny" stuff and I'm pretty sure that's going to flop hard.

There are some interesting things in there. But most of it is the stuff closest to what they've always done. I enjoy origins stories a lot, but the coming of age stuff looks pretty bad. Also, they're really trying to oversell the "funny" stuff and I'm pretty sure that's going to flop hard.

At $4.99 cover price.

This is going flop worst than the FF reboot.

Let me start off by saying that I really don't read much of the new material coming from either DC or Marvel. I went to the DC website just to see what it was they were actually producing just to get a little more contemporary perspective and I have to say, no wonder.

Now as was mentioned earlier being down $2mil especially with a relocation is not really that much and I am sure they can write that off as a one time cost of doing business expense. The problem for me is the convoluted mess they have created with all these variations on titles and confusing character arcs going in so many different directions. What they need IMHO is an Editor in Chief who will wrangle all of these writers and keep the universe in some semblance of order.

Also incredibly damaging to both is the over reliance on the collectability factor, limited this, variant that. Its like these publishers have turned into the Franklin Mint, JRJR heading to QVC next to hawk artist proof covers?

So many great characters both old and new that just need to be humanized again in both the writing and the art. Please stop inventing new muscles, keep a copy of Grays Anatomy handy or maybe just use a GI Joe for a model and see how stupid they look when you bend them into some of those "cover poses". Anyhow, just my opinion. YMMV.

Please stop inventing new muscles, keep a copy of Grays Anatomy handy or maybe just use a GI Joe for a model and see how stupid they look when you bend them into some of those "cover poses".

I had to laugh a bit at the recent Aquaman pose for JLA. I can see his butt and his chest at the same time. At least they're being consistent with the way women have often been drawn lol - but it really highlights how silly that is. GUMBY SPINE!

fd1a2ae5878dbe7af3c442bef2ac3b48.jpg

Let me start off by saying that I really don't read much of the new material coming from either DC or Marvel. I went to the DC website just to see what it was they were actually producing just to get a little more contemporary perspective and I have to say, no wonder.

Now as was mentioned earlier being down $2mil especially with a relocation is not really that much and I am sure they can write that off as a one time cost of doing business expense. The problem for me is the convoluted mess they have created with all these variations on titles and confusing character arcs going in so many different directions. What they need IMHO is an Editor in Chief who will wrangle all of these writers and keep the universe in some semblance of order.

Very good point. They have too many chiefs running the tribe.

Dan Didio,Jim Lee and Geoff Johns all are running the DC company.

They need one true voice that can lead them out of this mediocrity to be great again.

Someone of a Donald Trump or Jim Shooter leader type who won`t be afraid to say no when some of these artistic creators come up with carp like this.

Hopefully, it's not to late.

They have gone way downhill since Paul Levitz was running the ship.

I think they need to do the opposite. I know the base fandom of direct market comics loves the continuity and shared universe, but those millions of people lining up for the movies do not. Increasing revenue should be more about getting more people to read the comics, not getting the same people to read more of them. I think they're going in the opposite direction they need to go. I guess I'll see in a year of their proposed plan works or not.

I think they need to do the opposite. I know the base fandom of direct market comics loves the continuity and shared universe, but those millions of people lining up for the movies do not. Increasing revenue should be more about getting more people to read the comics, not getting the same people to read more of them. I think they're going in the opposite direction they need to go. I guess I'll see in a year of their proposed plan works or not.

It would seem to me that the people going to the movies might be the ideal target market for comics if the stories had any relation whatsoever to what is happening on screen.

It would seem to me that the people going to the movies might be the ideal target market for comics if the stories had any relation whatsoever to what is happening on screen.

Once again though, the people going to the movies don't know that. They see comic characters and go buy trades/comics because it's cool and they get excited about what they've seen. They wouldn't have any idea how to find a book that was in movie continuity even if it existed.

You might be on to something. It looks like DC aiming their new universe at women and kids, and not the dark n gritty crowd.

Will see. I think it will bomb though. I don`t see mainstream people paying $4.99 for a comic when they are use to paying $9.99 for Netflix or paying under $10 to see a blockbuster movie.

The hardcore comic book fans who would pay $4.99 for the DC comics are the ones that these new comics are not aimed at.

This smells like disaster.

Batman in armor?

Superman without the cape?

My gut was right about the FF reboot, and to me this DC reboot looks much worse.

It looks like more PC spoon that most people have gotten tired of.

I'm convinced DC especially HATES Superman and isn't going to stop until he's some stripped down street level Jack Reacher-ish wannabe.

Twist him up from Kansas farmboy into Comrade Clark, kicking western civilization in the balls one oppressor at a time.

superman-the-most-loved-and-hated-character-515762.jpg

I'm convinced DC especially HATES Superman and isn't going to stop until he's some stripped down street level Jack Reacher-ish wannabe.

Twist him up from Kansas farmboy into Comrade Clark, kicking western civilization in the balls one oppressor at a time.

I don't know if they hate him, but they sure struggle to find ways to tell interesting stories about him. Seems like every year or two they're trying something dramatic to make him vulnerable in some way. This attempt is among the worst I can remember.

I don't know if they hate him, but they sure struggle to find ways to tell interesting stories about him. Seems like every year or two they're trying something dramatic to make him vulnerable in some way. This attempt is among the worst I can remember.

The art is atrocious in those panels....

BUT if you want to read a Superman story that doesn't suck...consider Superman/Wonder Woman. Its not as 'romancy' (but there's enough) as one would think and it actually seems to ask a lot of thoughtful questions about relationships, about how the world views power, and roles of celebrity and media. I know that sounds like it may be agenda driven or preachy, but I think they handled it in a somewhat 'fair and realistic' way, as far as their comic world goes. And the art doesn't make you regret your life choices...

That looks awful!

Definitely not the Superman I remember.