• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moving Books Elsewhere

31 posts in this topic

If you mean does it make me more likely to buy or not the answer is no. I'm sure it isn't the intent, but to me it always comes across as a quasi threat. You better buy these books now or they go to ebay.

+1 Perfectly written to capture how it comes across to me as well.

hm interesting... never thought of it as a threat when I said it... or when I read it...

what it told me is "this book is getting sold one way or the other"

A decent number of books go back into collections if they dont sell, but if you say that the books are moving to ebay then I know they are going away one way or the other.

Now if it's a rare book that I had some interest in, and was having to decide between one thing and another it might tip my interest, especially if I know the other book is staying in a collection.

Cause if it sells on the bay, lord knows where its going, at least if the book sells here (or doesnt sell and goes back in the box) I know where the book is and I could potentially reach out in the future to try and acquire it.

I never thought about it like that. I do like saying books will be moved over to E-Bay or elsewhere to let the late comer know they are still for sale just not here. If the person just closed the thread without saying anything I think the person is pissed.

Sounds like a seller trying to prove themselves to a potential customer.

Kinda like selling appliances…they have an end date. A salesperson will tell a potential customer when the sale ends, if that customer doesn't buy by that date and they come back a day or two later, they are SOL….

The problem here is that "threat" doesn't work…the sellers have no real leverage against a customer. If the seller threatens to move it to ebay then the customers will just (shrug) and not care.

hm interesting... never thought of it as a threat when I said it... or when I read it...

A decent number of books go back into collections if they dont sell, but if you say that the books are moving to ebay then I know they are going away one way or the other.

Now if it's a rare book that I had some interest in, and was having to decide between one thing and another it might tip my interest, especially if I know the other book is staying in a collection.

Cause if it sells on the bay, lord knows where its going, at least if the book sells here (or doesnt sell and goes back in the box) I know where the book is and I could potentially reach out in the future to try and acquire it.

I used to find it irritating, because it seemed like a "threat" (for lack of a better word)...however, I no longer find it irritating.

Time and time again, I see books offered here for very fair prices, and they just sit. I think the reason that they often sit is because many people around here seem to be conditioned to "wait for the discount"...as if a very fair price isn't good enough...it has to be fair, plus a "discount"....and people are waiting to see the "OK, take 10% off" post. I now view the "books going elsewhere" post as simply saying "OK, I've offered it here at what I think is a fair price, and I'm not going to discount it from this price...let's go see if someone elsewhere wants it at the very fair price." No problem with telling us that as far as I'm concerned.

So, it actually has no effect on me anymore...practically, or emotionally.

That is how I take it. I never knew folks thought it was a threat. To me it was just information to let the buyers know that books will be moved to after this sales thread closes down.

That is how I take it. I never knew folks thought it was a threat. To me it was just information to let the buyers know that books will be moved to after this sales thread closes down.

right

I always took it as informational. But also assumed that the deals / prices would rise on ebay. So a bit of a sales tactic too, but not really a threat per se.

If ribeye is on sale this week only, I don't think my grocery store is threatening me. I just take in the information that until a given date, I can purchase at a certain price, then after that the price will be higher. Then I can act accordingly. I actually appreciate the notice if I can get it. More information as a buyer to me is generally something I value.

Does the "moving books to [ebay] [other venues]" in sales thread have any effect on you as a buyer?

Absolutely. I immediately buy any book with that phrase whether the price is good or not. Whether I collect the book or not. That phrase just gets me somehow.

Interesting read and to hear the opinions of others. If I end my sales thread and I am putting the books up elsewhere such as Ebay I often state that as information to any buyers who might be interested in the books once the thread closes.

I love selling here, but find the books are very hit and miss if someone picks them up or not unless they are a hot key at the moment.

As a buyer of books here on the forums too, I have never been offended if someone states they plan on moving the books to another venue/ebay etc. after a certain time period at the start of their thread or at the end.

Cheers

Jason

I must admit I don’t like it, but when I know the seller, and 1Cool and jhutton2 are good examples, I know that it’s no "sales strategy" at all and they just like to be informative.

Both place the books on eBay at the same price, or at a higher price, and usually sell them, this should be a good indication that their prices are reasonable here… lol