• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"First Graded" Label Designation...

40 posts in this topic

Does anyone else think that this is a good idea?

How about a special label designation for the first instance of a graded book? Just an annotation that indicates FIRST GRADED (or something like that) for that specific comic or variant.

I think it would be an interesting bit of provenance sort of like a pedigree designation. Not that it should command any sort of premium in the secondary market.

It could be good for business if people were incentivized to be the first to grade obscure books that have not yet been graded.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

no

what happens when two books get submitted at same time in same order

or ten?

Not really sure how being the canary in the grading coal mine makes a book special.

I am not saying that it would make the book any more special. A 9.8 is a 9.8 is a 9.8.

But it would tell a story, just as a pedigree designation tells a story about that book.

What about books already graded?

Well, if the database schema properly datetime stamps all records, designations could easily be added to the appropriate books.

If the book was ever reholdered then the new label would display the new designation. If the book is never reholdered then the designation would simply be a part of the electronic record.

It would be a great money grab for CGC. Imagine the number of people that would scour the registry to start submitting books that no one else has submitted yet.

Then you could have a registry of first graded sets, setting off an arms race as people realize there isn't a single graded copy of many formerly worthless books.

Of course, you'd want to do walk thru tiers on these to ensure registry points.

Then you could have a registry of first graded sets, setting off an arms race as people realize there isn't a single graded copy of many formerly worthless books.

Of course, you'd want to do walk thru tiers on these to ensure registry points.

Sure, if you want to wait in the "slow track" line. I'm sure some of us won't mind paying the 10% extra for the Line Hopper walkthru.

This idea would only benefit CGC and the indivuals who get the first graded books and sell them. It screams trading card disaster stories that I have heard of but was not involved in. I have tried to see the long time successful business plan CGC has in items such as the George Perez special Sirens label and as well as the "SS" Skybound Anniversary labels and I just cannot see it.

I grasp trying something new as a business to stay cutting edge but these idea just don't feel like the right path to go as the elite grading company to me. I'd prefer something like stronger discounts for members as an incentive to entice more CGC submissions which would result in more after market buyers. Perhaps I may prefer things simpler and without all the glitz and glimmer and am alone with my opinion but stay classy CGC, please!

I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the OP but I am not a fan of this idea. What happens if this happened and you were so excited to discover you were getting one of the special labels and saw it was a very soft graded book. Do you still appreciate it as much?

I'm all for buying the book. Not the label, not the first graded, not who signed the label, or even created a sketch for the label. The book, that's all I want. 2c