• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Woman Vol. 2 #1

7 posts in this topic

I performed a rather lengthy search both on these boards and on the internet and can't come up with anything on one particular version of this comic. I'm getting ready to trade one of my Direct Edition copies of this book and again noticed that one of my copies is completely different than the other two. Two of my copies are the Direct Edition copy and look like this:

Wonder%20Woman%20V2%201%20Direct%20Edition%20NM_zpscncqravu.jpg

Notice how in the price block you have the issue number, 75 cents, Canadian and UK prices and the date of publication. And in the lower left corner block it states "THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE is must reading".

I reviewed a number of copies listed on eBay and there are also the Newsstand versions. These have the price (75 cents), issue number and date of publication in the price block and of course the UPC code in the lower left corner:

Wonder%20Woman%20V2%201%20Newstand_zps2sgv9rr1.jpg

But then there are these that have only the 75 cents and the issue number 1 in the price block with no publication date and in the lower left corner block it says "WHO watches the WATCHMEN?":

WonderWomanVol21NM.jpg

So what's the deal with these? Did these come in some kind of bagged pre-pack? (shrug)

Looks like this book was printed similar to the BATMAN series comic books at the time.

For example, here's some information on BATMAN #403 covers...

So #403 has three different versions that I know of, one is a 2nd printing.

1st Print (Direct Edition)

UPC = Adventures of Superman 424 is coming

US, UK, Can prices on cover

Dated Jan 1987

Back Ad: Remco Karate Kid playsets

Front inside Ad: M&Ms

Second Printing, DC Multi-Pack

UPC= Bat Signal

US Price only

Indicia 2nd Printing, DC Multi-pack

Dated Jan 1987

Back Cover Ad= TSR Three Great Places

Inside cover ad=Konami

Other ads copyrighted 1989

NO DATE ON COVER VARIANT

UPC= The History of the DC Universe is must reading

US Price only

NO DATE ON COVER

Back cover Ad= Kmart American Defense

Inside Front cover=M&Ms

Other ads copyright 1987

Now looking at BATMAN #410, here is information on its different covers...

1st Print

UPC = Who watches the Watchmen?

US, Can, UK, prices on cover

Dated Aug 1987

Back Ad: Dungeons and Dragons

Front inside Ad: M&Ms

Second Print

UPC=?

Indicia = anticipated to say, second print, DC multi pack

US Price only

Dated Aug 1987

Back Ad:

Front inside Ad:

Third Print (as noted in Indicia)

UPC = Bat Symbol

US price on cover

Dated August 1987

Back Ad: Turbo Grafx

Front inside Ad: Taito Skyshark

Ads inside copyrighted 1989

So I'd say all three versions of this WONDER WOMAN comic are 1st prints (third cover is the "no date on cover variant") unless someone else has additional information.

I have one of the "No date on cover variants" (that's mine pictured above) and I believe you're correct in that it is also a 1st printing. There is nothing in the indicia or anywhere else indicating that it is a 2nd printing of any kind.