• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll - Should there be a happy birthday sub forum?

Should there be a happy birthday sub forum?   

633 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a happy birthday sub forum?

270 posts in this topic

So, to summarize...

The B-day people are creating all these threads because they believe it's for the good of the community.

The majority of the community has asked the B-day people to consolidate these threads into a single thread.

The B-day people have refused.

lol

The logic fairy just exploded.

So, to summarize...

The B-day people are creating all these threads because they believe it's for the good of the community.

The majority of the community has asked the B-day people to consolidate these threads into a single thread.

lol

Sorry - you may be referencing the wrong poll. When I go back to the OP question, it comes up as this:

Was there another poll that stated all birthday wishes should be consolidated into one thread?

(shrug)

I don't think they need to be put into one thread. Just a sub forum to manage them all in one place. Those that wish to wish people Happy Birthday and see whos Birthday it is can go into that sub forum and that way they all in that one spot and managed. I like when a birthday thread is made for me and makes me all fuzzy but still I think they should be in their own sub forum. My reasoning for this is just data management and ability to search thru all the posts faster instead. Overall that is what sub forums are for. Being able to sift thru data faster and find what you are looking for or to control clutter.

So, to summarize...

lol

Sorry - you may be referencing the wrong poll. When I go back to the OP question, it comes up as this:

Was there another poll that stated all birthday wishes should be consolidated into one thread?

(shrug)

Weird. You posted before and after this so I assumed you had read the discussion.

Are you in favor of a B-Day sub-forum?

The single thread seemed like a good solution and one that the majority would accept in lieu of a sub-forum.

I see what you guys are saying now. There are three birthday threads today which knocked three unrelated threads off the first page. To think I almost missed out on threads about yet another ebay transaction, a stolen comic that has been investigated to death and a topic about how bad people on here grade. :ohnoez:

So, to summarize...

lol

(shrug)

Weird. You posted before and after this so I assumed you had read the discussion.

The single thread seemed like a good solution and one that the majority would accept in lieu of a sub-forum.

So the single thread was your desire - but not what the poll was about.

Got it!

So, to summarize...

lol

(shrug)

So then it seems the poll should have either listed three choices (one of them being a single thread) or it should have had two choices (single thread or multiple threads).

I see what you guys are saying now. There are three birthday threads today which knocked three unrelated threads off the first page. To think I almost missed out on threads about yet another ebay transaction, a stolen comic that has been investigated to death and a topic about how bad people on here grade. :ohnoez:

'seeing the forest through the trees'

So, to summarize...

lol

(shrug)

So the single thread was your desire - but not what the poll was about.

Got it!

I'm in favor of discussion and finding mutually acceptable solutions. Sometimes these discussions and solutions evolve over time.

If you require a specific poll asking whether a single thread would be a good solution, I can easily create one. Is that what you require for productive discourse on this topic?

I'm in favor of discussion and finding mutually acceptable solutions. Sometimes these discussions and solutions evolve over time.

If you require a specific poll asking whether a single thread would be a good solution, I can easily create one. Is that what you require for productive discourse on this topic?

So rather than starting birthday threads in the TV-Movie-Games sub-forum, we are back to productive discourse? Excellent!

I think if the options for addressing any posting concerns were spelled out clearly, it will give all reviewers a better understanding of what is being proposed.

So rather than starting birthday threads in the TV-Movie-Games sub-forum, we are back to productive discourse? Excellent!

I think if the options for addressing any posting concerns were spelled out clearly, it will give all reviewers a better understanding of what is being proposed.

Ok, Good. Then that's a good starting point.

Here's how I see it, others may see it differently:

This poll shows that the majority wants the B-Day threads in a sub-forum rather than loose in CG. The B-Day thread supporters do not want a sub-forum. A compromise was proposed that would use a single thread. It appeared to me that many if not most of the people in favor of the sub-forum would accept this compromise. It seems like a good solution. :)

This poll shows that the majority wants the B-Day threads in a sub-forum rather than loose in CG. The B-Day thread supporters do not want a sub-forum. A compromise was proposed that would use a single thread. It appeared to me that many if not most of the people in favor of the sub-forum would accept this compromise. It seems like a good solution. :)

I hear what you are desiring, which is a change from the original request. And I do wonder what the vote would have been if it had been framed up that way.

Are we then expecting the same of any other topic? Are all Ebay discussions consolidated in one thread? Are all buying and selling complaints forced into one on-going thread? None of them are.

The same was suggested for TV and movie discussions - forcing them all into one thread. That would be quite challenging to have a discussion when the next announcement gets posted. And I can see birthdays to be celebrated running into the same situation if the initial morning consolidated announcement gets buried in many well-wishes posts. A sub-forum, not so much.

I hear what you are desiring, which is a change from the original request. And I do wonder what the vote would have been if it had been framed up that way.

Are we then expecting the same of any other topic? Are all Ebay discussions consolidated in one thread? Are all buying and selling complaints forced into one on-going thread? None of them are.

The same was suggested for TV and movie discussions - forcing them all into one thread. That would be quite challenging to have a discussion when the next announcement gets posted. And I can see birthdays to be celebrated running into the same situation if the initial morning consolidated announcement gets buried in many well-wishes posts. A sub-forum, not so much.

Those topics are all related to comics, which is what this board is about.

Birthday threads have nothing to do with comics.

Go join a birthday forum if that's what you're into (all the pro birthday people)

So, if I hear what you're saying, a sub-forum would probably be preferred because of the structural limitations of the single-thread format.

I get it, and that's certainly a draw-back to this approach. A sub-forum would not have that limitation.

Those topics are all related to comics, which is what this board is about.

Birthday threads have nothing to do with comics.

Go join a birthday forum if that's what you're into (all the pro birthday people)

So do you think any posts talking about members and not specific to comics should not go in comics general?

So, if I hear what you're saying, a sub-forum would probably be preferred because of the structural limitations of the single-thread format.

I get it, and that's certainly a draw-back to this approach. A sub-forum would not have that limitation.

If a site administrator said they were strongly considering two options - single thread or a sub-forum - in this case a sub-forum would make the most sense as then someone's birthday can't get lost in a long-running single thread.

At least it would make it easier to identify who had a birthday that day, and the individual being recognized would realize a thread has been posted to celebrate their birthday.

I haven't read all of the posts but:

What about a single thread each day rather than 1 long running thread or 1 sub forum or multiple threads.

Happy Bday to XY & Z today (I like this option better)

or

Birthdays today August 31st

Just so I'm clear:

A couple guys do a nice thing by wishing members happy birthday on their birthdays, and now we have multiple threads debating where/how it should be done?

How about the guys who actually do it decide how THEY want to do it?

Oaks and Azkaban, I for one appreciate you taking the time to wish everyone a happy birthday. But, I'd probably stop now, since too many panties are wadding up about it.

This is why we can't have nice things.