• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owning CGC grade comic vs original art...

86 posts in this topic

to everyone

did you ever felt "splited up" between owning a CGC graded comic you wanted badly and a nice original page art (that you wanted badly too)?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

to each side has your "heart" lead too and why...?!

regards

ps- for the "financial side of the situation", imagine both sides of the coin have the same "investisement level"... wink.gif

Own what puts a "rise in your Levi's" or what "floats your boat"!!! thumbsup2.gif

Interesting that you pose this question. Just by the very fact that you compare CGC comic with Original Art is kinda funny. Funny, because I have been thinking of this EXACT issue recently. I just purchased a really nice "Famous Funnies" Frazetta cover from the 1950's that is setting me back quite a bit. I am over-extended in my purchase. Consequently, I have sold a few CGC books to bridge the gap. The purchase was a tough one. I sold a few books that I never thought I would sell. But, I really really wanted this cover. As far as investment, I don't know?? Perhaps my CGC books would appreciate more over time than this one page. I sold about 6 golden age books to help the purchase. But....at least I can hang the Frazetta on my wall and look at it. I will miss my books though. I bought them when I was in H.S. and they still have significance for me. Too bad I'm not filthy rich and I could keep them both.

to everyone

did you ever felt "splited up" between owning a CGC graded comic you wanted badly and a nice original page art (that you wanted badly too)?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

to each side has your "heart" lead too and why...?!

regards

ps- for the "financial side of the situation", imagine both sides of the coin have the same "investisement level"... wink.gif

I switched over to buying original comic art before CGC really heated up. It took me several years to make the full transition to buying only original art. For those transition years, I was buying both high-grade Silver Age books and original comic art. So, yeah, for a few years there I was completely split in my affections.

Both hobbies have exploded over the past five years. Comics because of the advent of CGC, and the price-escalation that it brought, and comic art because of its rapidly growing collector base. So, I think from an investment standpoint, both have made leaps and bounds over these past few years.

Most people end up collecting one or the other. It's the truly wealthy individuals with loads of disposable income who can collect both these days. I'm not one of them!

Have fun!

I believe that over my collecting lifetime I'll be able to own most of the high grade books I want to own since I'm not obsessed with having "the best". For OA, I know that regardless of how much money I'm making 10 years from now, I will never be able to own most of what I would want to own. Money is enough to get you all but the absolute top books in the hobby, but that dosen't seem to be the case for art. That's why I try to stay away from the allure of OA, even though part of me wants to collect.

I'm very lucky. For better or worse, original art doesn't hold much appeal to me.

I agree. It's a very cool medium to collect, but the unfinished look rubs me the wrong way, aesthetically speaking. From a financial p.o.v., I count my blessings that I'm not interested.

I love them both, but I'm beginning to like original art more. There are always books I will own and want to own, but I can sell one knowing it's possible to get it back someday if I want. With original art, there's only one of each page. Once it's gone, it's gone. So I have no problem parting with books to help fund purchases of original art.

That said, OA is EXPENSIVE. So it's not for everyone. You really have to make sacrifices unless you're bloody stinking rich. I happen to LIKE macaroni and cheese 3 times a day. And now that I sold the kids to those guys from Eastern Europe, I've got a little spending cash! 27_laughing.gif

OA isnt really that expensive if you think about it.

Up until this poast year,...you could get a page from AVENGERS # 1 for about 4K,..thats expensive ?????,..okay,..so nowadays,.it'll cost you perhaps 10K plus if the image is truly stellar,......thats expensive ?

I mean jeeez,...people spend 4Kplus on a Hulk 181 or 30K on an All Winners 1,...and an FF 5 in High Grade'll cost your over 12K.

You can get an ACTUAL PAGE from Kirby fFF's issues 16, 17, 18, 19 for between 3K-5K,...Thats expensive ????

I mean seriously,...people calling OA expensive will then turn around and spend 25K on a 9.9 Amazing Spiderman # 19,...NOW THAT S EXPENSIVE !!!!!

The Cover to Amazing Spiderman 28 for 75 K,...a steal !!!!!

Its all a matter of priority.,...AND TASTE !!!!

Original Art is Cheap IMHO !!!!!

I agree, and DESTRO is talking about key pages, some of the "lesser" stuff can be had for a song and a dance. I picked up this page off Ebay a while back for less than $400. I consider it to be an amazing page by John Buscema and inked by Tom Palmer. Pretty cheap!

eBay104.jpg

I agree, and DESTRO is talking about key pages, some of the "lesser" stuff can be had for a song and a dance. I picked up this page off Ebay a while back for less than $400. I consider it to be an amazing page by John Buscema and inked by Tom Palmer. Pretty cheap!

eBay104.jpg

That is nice! thumbsup2.gif

Up until this poast year,...you could get a page from AVENGERS # 1 for about 4K,..thats expensive ?????,..okay,..so nowadays,.it'll cost you perhaps 10K plus if the image is truly stellar,......thats expensive ?

I mean jeeez,...people spend 4Kplus on a Hulk 181 or 30K on an All Winners 1,...and an FF 5 in High Grade'll cost your over 12K.

You can get an ACTUAL PAGE from Kirby fFF's issues 16, 17, 18, 19 for between 3K-5K,...Thats expensive ????

I mean seriously,...people calling OA expensive will then turn around and spend 25K on a 9.9 Amazing Spiderman # 19,...NOW THAT S EXPENSIVE !!!!!

Destro

i agree in big part to what you've said...indeed the price range for a product thats unique in the world is more affordable (with 1000$ you can already buy gorgeous pages) and interesting than to buy another product (comics) that exists by the hundres and sometimes thousands of copies...

but in the end it's all a matter os taste/prioritys. wink.gif

i'm seriouslly thinking on putting some $$$ on a few nice pages and hold on the buying of a few (also nice, 27_laughing.gif) comics.

nice reply everyone... flowerred.gif

regards

yeahok.gif

Yes, $4,000 or $10,000 or even $75,000 IS expensive.

MY original art tastes tend to be on the expensive side, especially in comparison to my comic collecting tastes (I don't collect ultra high grades).

Let's face it, if you like classic Silver Age Super-hero Kirby and Ditko pages like I do, you won't find really good examples for less than $2000 a pop. Pre-hero panel pages can be had for $1000 or under, and some of his newer stuff (Fourth world, 2nd run on Captain America) can be had for less. But the really good stuff that I want, like splashes, covers, etc, of FF, ASM, TOS, TTA, JIM, etc are pretty much out of my price range, and probably out of most collectors' price ranges. I can buy a very nice VF copy of a classic pre-hero book for $300 or less. I can get most non-key books in VF or slightly better for $300 or less. Not so with a really nice piece of art.

Since I'm used to paying a few hundred dollars or less for a comic I want, paying $2000 or more for a piece of art I want IS expensive in comparison.

But like I said before, I prefer the art pages over the comics, so it's worth it to me to make that decision and the sacrifice to save for a while to land a really nice page of art that I like. Like you said, it's about priorities!

(holy $%#@, did I just agree with Destro??) 27_laughing.gif

Hi Rhino,

You make a good point. Because of the fact that there are so many copies of an individual comic book, and so many different condition grades, you can pretty much always find an issue you're looking for within your budget (if you're not picky regarding condition). Not so with original art, unfortunately. That being said, I'm sure you can save up enough over time and find a nice example that'll do it for you. Or you could sell a couple books, and turn the profit into one stellar piece of original art. And then go back to buying books smile.gif

Good luck!

>>But the really good stuff that I want, like splashes, covers, etc, of FF, ASM, TOS, TTA, JIM, etc are pretty much out of my price range, and probably out of most collectors' price ranges.<<

Ya just have to be creative. If you have enough material,..ANYONE can take a stab at high-end stuff. The trick is to be flexible. I know a deal for an ASM Cover that was done with 15 Kirby interior pages and 20K. It was imhoi,..a very good deal for the ASM Cover. But the point is,..everyone made out. And the trick,..flexibility and creativity !

Hi Rhino,

You make a good point. Because of the fact that there are so many copies of an individual comic book, and so many different condition grades, you can pretty much always find an issue you're looking for within your budget (if you're not picky regarding condition). Not so with original art, unfortunately. That being said, I'm sure you can save up enough over time and find a nice example that'll do it for you. Or you could sell a couple books, and turn the profit into one stellar piece of original art. And then go back to buying books smile.gif

Good luck!

Yep, that's exactly what I do now. Flippity flip flip!! I have been able to acquire a small but IMHO very nice collection of original art.

I am, of course, in awe of your collection Hari. hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Hi Rhino,

Good luck!

Yep, that's exactly what I do now. Flippity flip flip!! I have been able to acquire a small but IMHO very nice collection of original art.

I am, of course, in awe of your collection Hari. hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Your collection is quite nice already, Rhino. I just had brunch with dam60 and delekkerste, and we mentioned the nice pages that you've been posting.

It's a fun hobby, and since they ARE one-of-a-kind, I believe it's important to post them and share them with everyone.