• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What artist work do you believe is undervalued?

67 posts in this topic

There could be many reasons why you believe an artist work is currently undervalued. With that in mind, what artist work do you believe is undervalued and why?

I'll throw a couple out -

1) Matt Wagner

2) Mike DeCarlo

- Matt because you can pick up his latest pages for 200.00 or less. What a steal.

- Mike DeCarlo because he has been involved in some MAJOR works as the inker. He's great to work with on commissions. In a thread I'll start towards the end of the week I'll. show the evolution of a commission he is finishing up for me this week. As a side note, he's a really nice guy who is VERY talented.

I think for Silver - Bronze aged artists, while everyone knows Adams, Buscema, Ditko, Kirby, Romita, Smith and Steranko are fairly established with even work on lesser known titles and characters commanding high vales, there seems to be good opportunities with big names with great fan following like

Murphy Anderson

Gene Colan

Carmine Infantino

Gil Kane

I'm also a speculator there's room for growth with the risqué work of Bill Ward, whose 1 pg gag pin ups can be had for $100-200, as well as Wallace Wood, tho in the $1,000-$3,000 range for 2 piece Sally Forth and Cannon strips, still seemingly good prices. I also think there can be good potential for Joe Chiodo paintings, especially since he does t work much with or on superhero subjects now, and if his work crosses over into that "fine art / lowbrow art" arena like where James Jean and Tara McPhereson seemed/seems to thrive.

With the more Bronze-Copper era, I think John Buscema and John Romita are well established I think Sal Buscema and John Romita Jr are due to rise, and have seen prices increase, I like the potential for mainstream Marvel and DC super hero artwork by Rich Buckler, Bob Brown, D. Dillin, D. Giordano, Keith Pollard, Herb Trimpe, and any artist who had decent length runs on any title in the 70's or 80's that's priced cheap (a relative term) today.

I think where the mainstream works by artists like Perez, Byrne, Starlin and Giffen are are fairly expensive, some key titles being very expensive, their off titles, just acquiring published examples of their work have great upside where currently priced under $200 for certain pieces.

And for modern artists of today? I really like the body of work by Mark Bagley, who is due for a future surge, especially his Ultimate Spider-Man, tho over 100 issues, meaning over 2,000 pages exist, I think those may be here today, but will be gone tomorrow, with many collectors having 20/20 hindsight regret not picking some up when they had the opportunity.

Other artists I think are priced with room for expansion if not explosion (maybe to the levels where J Scott Campbell, Adam Hughes, Jane others are with covers in the $4k-12k range), I think Mark Brooks is the leader in names I would roll the dice on,

I also likeJohn Cassaday, but wished he had more consistent and mainstream Work published since his epic Astonishing X-Men run. I am also a fan of Ale Garza, Ian Churchill, Brett Booth, Greg Land (don't judge! Many love his work and he's attached to some major Marvel titles with a huge body of work), Marat Mychaels, Mike DeBalfo, and Ed Benes.

On the lesser known names, I think nice assigned to a non indie book or. On self published title, Josh Howard has the potential to rival the likes of Bruce Timm, Scottie Young, Darwyn Cook and others who have a more simple approach with Animation influence to art.

...and as far as genres goes, I think that Romance published art is undervalued generally as is the humor category like Archie.

I think Gene would agree with me, by definition, no artist is undervalued, especially when it is being sold via auction houses etc.

All the prices you see reflect all the available information. If you think it is undervalued, you should be buying, pushing prices upward. The people that don't buy of course don't think it's undervalued, pushing prices downward. Hence the equilibrium market price.

Malvin

I think for Silver - Bronze aged artists, while everyone knows Adams, Buscema, Ditko, Kirby, Romita, Smith and Steranko are fairly established with even work on lesser known titles and characters commanding high vales, there seems to be good opportunities with big names with great fan following like

Murphy Anderson

Gene Colan

Carmine Infantino

Gil Kane

I'm also a speculator there's room for growth with the risqué work of Bill Ward, whose 1 pg gag pin ups can be had for $100-200, as well as Wallace Wood, tho in the $1,000-$3,000 range for 2 piece Sally Forth and Cannon strips, still seemingly good prices. I also think there can be good potential for Joe Chiodo paintings, especially since he does t work much with or on superhero subjects now, and if his work crosses over into that "fine art / lowbrow art" arena like where James Jean and Tara McPhereson seemed/seems to thrive.

With the more Bronze-Copper era, I think John Buscema and John Romita are well established I think Sal Buscema and John Romita Jr are due to rise, and have seen prices increase, I like the potential for mainstream Marvel and DC super hero artwork by Rich Buckler, Bob Brown, D. Dillin, D. Giordano, Keith Pollard, Herb Trimpe, and any artist who had decent length runs on any title in the 70's or 80's that's priced cheap (a relative term) today.

I think where the mainstream works by artists like Perez, Byrne, Starlin and Giffen are are fairly expensive, some key titles being very expensive, their off titles, just acquiring published examples of their work have great upside where currently priced under $200 for certain pieces.

And for modern artists of today? I really like the body of work by Mark Bagley, who is due for a future surge, especially his Ultimate Spider-Man, tho over 100 issues, meaning over 2,000 pages exist, I think those may be here today, but will be gone tomorrow, with many collectors having 20/20 hindsight regret not picking some up when they had the opportunity.

Other artists I think are priced with room for expansion if not explosion (maybe to the levels where J Scott Campbell, Adam Hughes, Jane others are with covers in the $4k-12k range), I think Mark Brooks is the leader in names I would roll the dice on,

I also likeJohn Cassaday, but wished he had more consistent and mainstream Work published since his epic Astonishing X-Men run. I am also a fan of Ale Garza, Ian Churchill, Brett Booth, Greg Land (don't judge! Many love his work and he's attached to some major Marvel titles with a huge body of work), Marat Mychaels, Mike DeBalfo, and Ed Benes.

On the lesser known names, I think nice assigned to a non indie book or. On self published title, Josh Howard has the potential to rival the likes of Bruce Timm, Scottie Young, Darwyn Cook and others who have a more simple approach with Animation influence to art.

...and as far as genres goes, I think that Romance published art is undervalued generally as is the humor category like Archie.

i would agree with Bill Ward, his prices have remained stagnant and in some cases gone down quite a bit.....I think the marvel boom has taken away from he and other important artists from that era. Marvel is where people are putting their money right now....so it may be a while

Alan Kupperberg and Pat Broderick. They routinely are the cheapest guys to buy for bronze and copper age, and they are both skilled artists very much on par with guys like Pollard and Sal Buscema. Similar level of detail and that same Era appropriate "marvel way" of drawing, yet they are routinely 1/2 or less their counterparts when they did quality work.

Also Pablo Marcos and Rick Leonardi would fall into this vein. More of an acquired taste both both good artists who worked in the right era whose work can be had cheap comparatively.

I think Gene would agree with me, by definition, no artist is undervalued, especially when it is being sold via auction houses etc.

All the prices you see reflect all the available information. If you think it is undervalued, you should be buying, pushing prices upward. The people that don't buy of course don't think it's undervalued, pushing prices downward. Hence the equilibrium market price.

Malvin

The idea of the thread was to see who people on the Board think is currently undervalued. It was supposed to be a fun and lighthearted look at those artist that the posters like and think is undervalued.

For example, McFarlane's work on Infinity Inc. is undervalued just like Perez's work on Prime. Both are at a fraction of their other works. Just my opinion but there are pages in Prime that Perez did amazing work on. Yes, I realize that the work isn't the Teen Titans but it still is extremely pleasing to the eye if you enjoy his work. It can be had at a price-point that doesn't make the buyer ponder their purchase.

For example, McFarlane's work on Infinity Inc. is undervalued just like Perez's work on Prime. Both are at a fraction of their other works.

CFAR = Cheap For A Reason

For example, McFarlane's work on Infinity Inc. is undervalued just like Perez's work on Prime. Both are at a fraction of their other works.

CFAR = Cheap For A Reason

McFarlane? Sure he's growing into what he's going to become. Perez on Prime? No idea except the character isn't popular. The work he did on the book holds up.

I think he's saying the infinity inc work is in an immature style and not really what people want from the artist. You see flashes but he hadn't developed yet. Cheap because it's not what people want.

I think he's saying the infinity inc work is in an immature style and not really what people want from the artist. You see flashes but he hadn't developed yet. Cheap because it's not what people want.

I agree on McFarlane. I think we were posting at the same time. Quality isn't there compared to his work to come but those pages are pretty cheap. I think one went for over a grand on one of the previous Comic Link auctions. That was a pleasant surprise.

I agree on McFarlane. I think we were posting at the same time. Quality isn't there compared to his work to come but those pages are pretty cheap. I think one went for over a grand on one of the previous Comic Link auctions. That was a pleasant surprise.

I think $13.1K for a Lee Weeks Daredevil cover tells you how much quality factors into the price of comic art. :fear:

I think $13.1K for a Lee Weeks Daredevil cover tells you how much quality factors into the price of comic art. :fear:

I don't understand your post.

Malvin

Malvin, you're buddy but I couldn't disagree more. People make a living off of exploiting markets inefficiencies. All the prices you see do not reflect all the available information. There is a lot of information out there that we don't know.

I don't understand your post.

It means that you keep talking about "quality" being there and art being "pleasing to the eye", but all of that often/usually takes a backseat to the subject matter and the nostalgia and popularity that surrounds the characters, storylines, etc. I mean, George Perez may be to Rembrandt as Lee Weeks is to Thomas Kinkade, but people are going to pay big bucks for Lee Weeks' DD #293 cover, but no one cares about a George Perez page from Prime, even though Perez is a huge name in the industry.