• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy 15 - Price Correction?

162 posts in this topic

This book is worth a lot of money now in any grade. Unless the comic marketplace crashes as a whole, I don't see a lot of change in this book as it just keeps going up. My $0.02

I wish I have saved up some money and purchased one back in 2004/2005 when I first got back in to comic collecting as an adult.

To the OP, you'd probably need to give reasons for what you already think is a fairly contrarian position, otherwise there's very little reason for anyone to engage you in any kind of intelligent way, and even less reason to think you'd understand the argument.

Otherwise, this reads as "hey I think the sky has been too blue lately, I think its due for a correction."

Why would anyone want to engage?

To the OP, you'd probably need to give reasons for what you already think is a fairly contrarian position, otherwise there's very little reason for anyone to engage you in any kind of intelligent way, and even less reason to think you'd understand the argument.

Otherwise, this reads as "hey I think the sky has been too blue lately, I think its due for a correction."

Here are the reasons that lead me to think it's due to decline.

1. There's thousands of copies

2. Is Spider-Man really that popular anymore? Today's generation seems to be more interested in Deadpool, Wolverine, and Harley Quinn than Spider-Man.

3. It's disproportionately expensive compared to X-Men 1, Fantastic Four 1, and the other Marvel 1st's.

I don't think it's due for a correction. It's like the gold standard of available comics. I can see why some one would say well why isn't FF similarly valued but that's just the way it is. Why is Gauguin more valuable than Van Gogh?

You can't compare it with FF. FF is firing on no cylinders. A terrible movie franchise and no current comic books at all.

One could argue that the last 3 spider man movies were terrible and the current comic issues are fairly moronic.

Marvel is the king of comics. Spidey is their flagship character, and has been for a long long time. AF15 has been THE KEY comic for a long long time, the MOST WELL KNOWN of all collectible comics, even to non-comic people. And ASM is still a key comic. He's resonated with true 'nerds' for a long long time. And right now a lot of those 'nerds' are finally cool, and finally rich. The growth might not be as fast as other silver marvel keys due to its already high price, but I wouldn't be concerned about a price decrease at any point any time soon.

It just seems disproportionately expensive compared to a book like X-Men 1.

In this particular case it's due to the "new X-Men" which are in the movie franchise, making the original X-Men not as desirable to the younger collectors for the money, while Spidey is basically the same guy in the movies as in the comics. Just my opinion.

And I own both and am happy to do so!

You can't compare it with FF. FF is firing on no cylinders. A terrible movie franchise and no current comic books at all.

you can't compare it with X-Men #1 which has 3X as many slabbed high grade copies

Even if you just look at low grade copies.

CGC 1.0 last sale

AF15 - $6500

XMen1 - $900

FF1 - $1000

Those differences just seem extreme to me.

2. Is Spider-Man really that popular anymore? Today's generation seems to be more interested in Deadpool, Wolverine, and Harley Quinn than Spider-Man.

3. It's disproportionately expensive compared to X-Men 1, Fantastic Four 1, and the other Marvel 1st's.

What evidence do you have for number 2? Spider-Man comics outsell most of those books. Also look at how much merchandise Spidey moves. I think he moves more than Superman and Batman combined from a source someone recently posted. I'll look for it...

Granted the Worldwide sales account for a lot of it, but still...

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-31%20at%207.19.06%20PM_zpsltrsbb1m.png

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

It just seems disproportionately expensive compared to a book like X-Men 1.

In this particular case it's due to the "new X-Men" which are in the movie franchise, making the original X-Men not as desirable to the younger collectors for the money, while Spidey is basically the same guy in the movies as in the comics. Just my opinion.

Very true. What I think is unique about Spider-Man is his origin story seems to be more important than any of his other stories; and that would make AF15 extra special.

you can't compare it with X-Men #1 which has 3X as many slabbed high grade copies

CGC 1.0 last sale

AF15 - $6500

XMen1 - $900

FF1 - $1000

I don't have access to GPA, so what was the last cgc 1.0 (blue or yellow label) sale for hulk 1?

CGC 1.0 last sale

AF15 - $6500

XMen1 - $900

FF1 - $1000

I don't have access to GPA, so what was the last cgc 1.0 (blue or yellow label) sale for hulk 1?

Hulk 1 - $4400

But I will note there are half as many Hulk 1s on the census as there are AF15s.

What evidence do you have for number 2? Spider-Man comics outsell most of those books. Also look at how much merchandise Spidey moves. I think he moves more than Superman and Batman combined from a source someone recently posted. I'll look for it...

And here is your answer. Ol' Webhead rules! :headbang:

And here is your answer. Ol' Webhead rules! :headbang:

Interesting. I had no idea Spider-Man was so popular internationally. Batman's lack of international market by comparison is pretty interesting.

Am I the only one who thinks Amazing Fantasy 15 is severely overpriced and due for a massive price correction?

Discuss.

If you are holding any AF 15's I think you should prove you mettle and

sell them to me at half guide!

I'll be waiting.

:whistle: