• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy 15 - Price Correction?

162 posts in this topic

AF15 will never drop precipitously-as I said there are plenty of people in the wings waiting to snap em up if prices drop somewhat.

I mean you could also say Van Goghs might one day drop tremendously but realistically that's not gonna happen.

Back when you could buy Action #1 for a couple thousand bucks there were people warning of a similar collapse and well.....

I am curious about the 50 to 1 ratio of coin vs comic collectors-how was this number arrived at? The best estimate of coin collectors is 500,000 and there is no known estimate of the number of comic collectors but I'm pretty sure its way more than 10,000.

The numismatic marketplace has probably has 50 times the collectors base as comic books

One of the most famous, desirable and rare coins is the 1916 standing liberty quarter,

Out of an original mintage of only 52,000

I believe there are about 5000 surviving graded examples, due to the risk involved this coin is almost never sold raw.

This coin can be purchased now NGC graded and in nice uncirculated condition for about 16K

by this comparison

either this coin is undervalued or AF15 is overvalued

If 5000 copies only nets 16K with a 50 times larger base of collectors, the desirability factor is nowhere near an AF15

Not seeing a lot of 1916 standing liberty quarter costumes on Halloween. :baiting:

Every time I go out, I see people walking around in 1916 standing liberty quarter t-shirts... and I'm in Canada!

:kidaround:

I wonder what would happen if 3,000 copies were suddenly found in some boxes unopened some where

I wonder what will happen when thousands of copies that were purchased by collectors and haven't been seen in decades hit the market in a relatively short time span due to age/death.

The numismatic marketplace has probably has 50 times the collectors base as comic books

One of the most famous, desirable and rare coins is the 1916 standing liberty quarter,

I believe there are about 5000 surviving graded examples, due to the risk involved this coin is almost never sold raw.

This coin can be purchased now NGC graded and in nice uncirculated condition for about 16K

by this comparison

If 5000 copies only nets 16K with a 50 times larger base of collectors, the desirability factor is nowhere near an AF15

Not seeing a lot of 1916 standing liberty quarter costumes on Halloween. :baiting:

Every time I go out, I see people walking around in 1916 standing liberty quarter t-shirts... and I'm in Canada!

I wonder what would happen if 3,000 copies were suddenly found in some boxes unopened some where

I wonder what will happen when thousands of copies that were purchased by collectors and haven't been seen in decades hit the market in a relatively short time span due to age/death.

The age of AF15 owners is all over the map there will be no such glut as a bunch of old codgers kick off.

by this comparison

I can tell you...

Me, and Harley, and Graham, and Gator and Bob Storms and Metropolis, and Comiclink, and every other dealer will snap them up if we can.

The doomsayers are just wrong I'm afraid. This is not a flash in the pan, a bubble, an over value or any such thing. It is a highly in demand item that just keeps getting more in demand. It built up in value slowly, not overnight like the tulip bulbs. It is a solid investment.

I am curious about the 50 to 1 ratio of coin vs comic collectors-how was this number arrived at? The best estimate of coin collectors is 500,000 and there is no known estimate of the number of comic collectors but I'm pretty sure its way more than 10,000.

lol

Me too

:)

I just want ONE :cry:

And therein lies the crux of why this comic will NEVER lose value

correct

Everybody wants one. In 15 years people will be having this same discussion about Hulk #181.

i don't but i'd rather have one than a standing liberty 1916 quarter - although i did hear there may be a movie in the works starring Charlize Theron as Lady Liberty.

I just want 1 as well. I also want the money to buy one, you know... on the off chance I don't find one sitting in an antique store owned by a blind guy that doesn't have any help to know what it is & still has it priced for $0.25.

Comics has the benefit of nostalgia-a need to connect with the past. Coins no one is going 'man I really want that quarter I had for a few minutes before I spent it when I was a kid'.

lol

Me too

:)

Given that there are several comic conventions that now draw close to or more than 100,000 people (SDCC, NYCC, Wizard Chicago), I would suspect there are way more than 10,000 comic collectors. I would think the number would easily reach 100,000 people who have a comic collection, or purchased a comic within the last year.

Comics has the benefit of nostalgia-a need to connect with the past. Coins no one is going 'man I really want that quarter I had for a few minutes before I spent it when I was a kid'.

lol

Exactly. I'd like the $1 bill back that I used a few times to buy Youngblood-like drek in the 90's, but that's buyer's remorse rather than nostalgia.

Also it's not the case that once the old codgers die off the youngbloods wont have any interest in old comics. My buddy is in his 20's and wants a GA Cap #1 so bad he can taste it. He doesn't even care about condition-he just WANTS ONE.