• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing Church Books

60 posts in this topic

Boardie Robotman spoke of buying Church books out of boxes from Chuck at a show..... I believe it may have been pre-catalogue, and he still has some of them and posted scans in his thread. One thing about comic fandom in the late 70's, things were very cheap and many collectors didn't care about preservation..... they just wanted copies to pile up and read. The books may no longer be pedigree quality, owners may have died and books may have been tossed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah, I bought a nice little pile from Chuck at Casual Con in Anaheim shortly after he found the collection. He talks about it in his "Tales of the Database" thread on the collection. I am pretty sure this was before he made up the list. Although I sold/traded away quite a few I think I still have a fair amount from that buy. I will go look on the list and see if I have some that aren't there. I know I bought a Jumbo that is from the collection at that time that I have seen another copy slabbed as the Mile High. So, there are some that are duplicates.

I went to John Mclaughlin's house several times. He had stuff you just wouldn't believe. His comics were awsome but he had top of the line pulps, movie posters and rare books. He had a signed first edition Frankenstein he showed me once. He not only bought a ton of books directly from Chuck but had a standing offer to pay 4 times guide for any Mile High book. Lots of locals sold them their copies. They were just sitting on the floor un-bagged in piles. He had several cats so the stories are true.

Here is two books that I purchased from HA from the John McLaughlin collection and their descriptions!

Chamber of Chills #19

lfETDG2P3Z_zpsh3qbdbet.jpg

Description of the Heritage Auction lot:

Chamber of Chills #9 (Harvey, 1952) Condition: VF/NM. A bondage cover is followed by strangling, bludgeoning, bloodstained axes... did we mention that this book was pre-Code? This specimen looks nicer than the Harvey file copies we've seen. Based on this book's provenance, we think it may be the Mile High copy. Overstreet 2006 VF/NM 9.0 value = $227; NM- 9.2 value = $300.From the John McLaughlin Collection.

Jumbo Comics #116

lfESPBFT8E_zps4mlcruni.jpg

Jumbo Comics #116 Mile High pedigree (Fiction House, 1948) Condition: NM. When you care enough to collect the very best, go for the Mile High copy! Here's one that will meet or exceed anyone's expectations. Inside, there's art by both Matt Baker and Jack Kamen. Overstreet 2006 NM- 9.2 value = $235.From the John McLaughlin Collection.

Some Church books were destroyed when the basement of Greg Manning auctions flooded circa 2000 or 2001. I have not been able to find out which books. (I did ask Bill Hughes; he didn't remember.)

I remember that local flooding had damage books

He also owned the Punch 12 raw along with quite a few others

Any cat pee on the Punch 12?

It was a great looking copy but, sadly, it was extensive on the front cover.

He also owned the Punch 12 raw along with quite a few others

Any cat pee on the Punch 12?

It was a great looking copy but, sadly, it was extensive on the front cover.

Adds to its mystique! :D

He had several cats so the stories are true.

Cat pee on the top of the book, really only noticeable on the back cover.

punch15.jpg

No cat pee...

2upef6r.jpg

What's the story again on this being a Church copy?

Bought from Shay Sheth and JLee in 1995, has a cert. from Metro. Those guys were called Continental Comics back then, and they only made $30 on the book...I paid $200...you do the math...

Plus, it has that special church smell...kind of a mix between old comic and cotton candy...

Kind of ticked me off that it didn't get in the L B Cole book...but they did use about 10 of my other issues, so I guess it's alright... :blahblah:

He had several cats so the stories are true.

Cat pee on the top of the book, really only noticeable on the back cover.

punch15.jpg

Not sure why it's on the top of the book and the back cover.

Shouldn't they be down at the bottom of the front cover chasing those rats? lol