• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magazines VS Comics

26 posts in this topic

I agree that the larger format turns collectors away. What is also true about magazines vs comics is that they are 10X as hard to find in high grade than any comic in the silver or bronze age. I mainly collect 9.4s-9.8s of marvel titles and it has been a real challenge to find them--but fun.

I agree that the larger format turns collectors away. What is also true about magazines vs comics is that they are 10X as hard to find in high grade than any comic in the silver or bronze age. I mainly collect 9.4s-9.8s of marvel titles and it has been a real challenge to find them--but fun.

You ain't whistling Dixie.

I love horror mags like Creepy,Eerie and Vampirella.

You ain't whistling Dixie.

I love horror mags like Creepy,Eerie and Vampirella.

Those horror mags along with many others are like painted masterpiece covers, especially fantasies. Comic books while cool art, looks cartoonish and nowhere near oil paint cover of mags. Perhaps one day the market will change, but I won't hold my breath. I still collect because of the art and stories.

I own more magazines than comics 2-1

You guys called it... Painted covers :cloud9: and amazing stories

Very tough to find in high grade...but... Again, the thrill of the hunt!

This past year I've also started collecting fanzines (Miracleman got me into this)

Some of these are pretty awkwardly large in size, especially the UK fanzines...

But the covers on these babies are literally jaw dropping... Totally worth the headaches figuring out how to properly store them (thumbs u

yup, collectors get thrown off by larger sizes. plus, cgc charges a lot more for slabbing.

a classic example is Creepy 27 with an amazing frazetta cover. if frazetta had done a cover like that for any marvel comic in 1969 how much would that be worth? and the same would probably be true for one of the DC horror books,

Finding mags in any grade is difficult. I ask in every shop I go to, none ever seem to carry them.

Sorry if this question has been ask before (and I searched). I find that magazines have better cover arts, and awesome stories just like their counter parts. But why is it that their collectible values are no where on par? I got MP4 and MP7, along with many other magazines. (shrug)

I have no idea, it’s just some kind of prejudice towards a specific format on the americans' part, I guess.

In Italy, where we have had each and every kind of editorial format since the 1930s it’s a thing one would never think about, as much as he/she might like a specific format… :shrug:

One reason is a lot on people like uniformity in their collections. The larger size is a turn off.

OK, but if this has to prevent you reading things, it is somewhat ridiculous.

Here’s some sparse format examples from Italy.

Strip format (post-war book):

z4IYxAll.jpg

Comic book format (post-war example):

H8bW1PLh.jpg

Landscape (small format):

twqGKRol.jpg

Landscape (comic book format) – and an early Superman apocrypha as well.

JTyLxEFh.jpg

MLIrklPh.jpg

Journal (large size) – These were mostly popular up to the late 1940s.

elmBWR2h.jpg

sSQHSfxh.jpg

Magazine size (wartime):

tSPutbch.jpg

Squarebound magazines (1960s):

QiiTbZ6h.jpg

Comic book size (1970s):

PHolL9wh.jpg

Hardcover bound volumes (1970s):

W6cU4Xrh.jpg

Magazine size (1970-80s):

9kWNVllh.jpg

Pocket squarebound (1949 up to date, one of our most popular formats):

YmgMuGEm.jpgOoYiseLm.jpgxsZHvvUm.jpg VBc72CXm.jpg

I’ve never thought of US magazines as being inferior in any way, but that’s most likely because they are a fairly similar size to many British comic books. So, there's familiarity and uniformity there.

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone horror magazines are awesome,at least until I'm done getting mine. lol

Exactly, I have been buying like crazy lately from the boards as there seems to be a small flood of these magazines on the market and I have been buying them up as much as I can. However, I am still missing a few issues here and there.

Sorry if this question has been ask before (and I searched). I find that magazines have better cover arts, and awesome stories just like their counter parts. But why is it that their collectible values are no where on par? I got MP4 and MP7, along with many other magazines. (shrug)

I have no idea, it’s just some kind of prejudice towards a specific format on the americans' part, I guess.

In Italy, where we have had each and every kind of editorial format since the 1930s it’s a thing one would never think about, as much as he/she might like a specific format… :shrug:

Perhaps if key Super Heroes characters appear more in Magazines then the market will flip in favor. I see that with the Guardian of Galaxy movies for MP4 and MP7. I wonder how much would a Weird Tales Magazine December 1932 (first true appearance of Conan) is worth?

FECxSDs.jpg

MH has a cheap NM copy Creepy 27 for sale on eBay

5HoEuSE.jpg

really, that's the best photo they have? i thought chuck got 50,000 warrens as part of mile high ii and he can't find a decent copy?

anyway, yeah, i have some nice ones i have hunted down over the years. they should be worth $200 each gosh darnit!