• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettin me started...

44 posts in this topic

now are most crime/suspense expensive?

Not at all - there are a dozen or two "classic cover" issues which aren't cheap, but most pre-code crime sells on ebay for less than half of guide value, which isn't that high to begin with. Even many of the "classic story" issues, and those with artwork by the likes of Toth, Baker, and Krigstien can be found for $30 and under in lower grades. The EC crime books have tons of great art & covers, and they probably run about $25 - $50 in VG, although #22 with the decapitation cover sells for double guide or more. They are also all available as reprints.

If you go to the Golden Age comics section there is a sub-section for crime. You can also type in a search using the word crime as it is in the title of at least half of all crime comics. Later on I can list some of the better titles.

Try the ECs -- Shock Suspenstories, Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt, Crime Patrol, Crime Suspenstories. You can also get inexpensive modern reprints of those books if you're browsing. ECs were known for great art and great stories.

"Try the ECs -- Shock Suspenstories, Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt, Crime Patrol, Crime Suspenstories."

yeah, they're great books, but even the readers are spensive given that these are some of THE books to have if you collect 50's comics.

i don't think i own a single on of these.

I had meant to add some sort of crying face at the end of that last post.

Wish I did own some.

Anyone want to receive some 80/90s Marvel and DC dreck in exchange for some readers?

That's what I'm talking about!!!

Check out the covers on the crime suspenstories. Especially #22.

"Try the ECs -- Shock Suspenstories, Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt, Crime Patrol, Crime Suspenstories."

yeah, they're great books, but even the readers are spensive given that these are some of THE books to have if you collect 50's comics.

i don't think i own a single on of these.

Not that bad in price, really; compared to other 50's horror titles ECs are pretty plentiful and can be had inexepensively. You can get horror and crime ECS in the 3.0 to 6.0 range for $25 to $75 with ease on ebay and elsewhere. If you're looking for really high grade, or books with Wild Bill Gaines' name attached to 'em, that's a different kettle o' fish entirely.

yeah, I'm also interested in crime and horror, which i'll look into any suggestions on those genre's

Here's a story from Crime & Punishment #69 that dmgcsr posted a while back. Read this and see if it's your thing (wait for all of the pictures to load):

Linkie

Before jumping into this thread, I just posted the cover to C&P 69 in the Crime Thread so it should be back up near the top of GA posts. Crime is great stuff. Many of the smaller publishers put out crime books so you can get them from Fox "Crimes by Women" -- girls gone wild is the main theme of Fox books, Avon "Prison Break" -- Wally Wood, Kinstler, St John "Authentic Police Stories" -- Baker art, Standard "Who is Next" Toth art, Ziff Davis "Crime Clinic" -- Painted covers, Fawcett "Suspense Detective" -- Bernard Bailey Covers, Evans art. And there's probably hundreds of Atlas books from the 50s that are crime-related. I love having books from all these small publishers.

As far as finding books, the Gerber Guide is great for books up through 1952. After that, Grand Comics Database (www.comics.org) and Atlas Tales (http://www.atlastales.com/) are great resources. You can look up anything with "Crime" in the title for starters.

Good luck on your quest -- I think you'll have a lot of fun. Don't forget to keep us "posted" on your progress! hi.gif

This is the best book specifically about "crime" comics -- it is quite impressive covering comics mostly from the 40s - 60s including cover and interior art images -- almost all in color. It has an extensive guide to crime titles, some with recommendations.

738364-Crime_Book.jpg

738364-Crime_Book.jpg.77faf1cd2d615d721b05a0db3d50fba5.jpg

there are some books that reprint comic stories from the 50s -- this one is from Eclipse and i suspect you can still find it on ebay or at a convention.

738370-Crime_Reprints.jpg

738370-Crime_Reprints.jpg.c30e97c053a5c9d5fe6ac5378bd8ecb5.jpg

the OP has a naive enthusiasm about collecting comics

he isn't jaded by the "can i flip this and double my money on ebay" mentality that is so prevalent

what's so wrong with that?

the OP has a naive enthusiasm about collecting comics

he isn't jaded by the "can i flip this and double my money on ebay" mentality that is so prevalent

what's so wrong with that?

Check the postings in the marketplace and you'll see what the disdain for the original poster is all about.

ok, i see your point.

i guess i'm guilty of chain yanking too. i had some stuff on somene's want list here and I said I'd be digging it up soon. well, it's been a while. they're in boxes in the back of my closet about 10 feet up behind other boxes. every time i look at that closet and the boxes and how much work digging this stuff up will be my back starts tightening up and aching, especially because i'll have to balance on a ladder (that has a 200 lb weight limit, which I'm a bit over nowadays) to get to some of this stuff.