• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Comics Auction

37 posts in this topic

This was my first time bidding in a Pedigree auction. Out of the 4 auctions I was watching, 2 had a higher bid come in with 1 second left on the clock, which makes absolutely no sense to me. The timer resets to 5 minutes if you enter a late bid with less than 3 minutes left. Why not just bid at 3 minutes if you're going to "snipe?"

That was my first experience, and it will be my last.

I guess I lost out when my Pacific Coast copy of FF #12 in cgc 9.0 was sold to Doug, who somehow managed to get it into a Voldemort 9.4 holder (after first getting it into a CGC 9.2 holder) and auction it for double what he paid. The comic mysteriously along the way seems to no longer be flawed by most or all of a small Marvel chip. hm

This was my first time bidding in a Pedigree auction. Out of the 4 auctions I was watching, 2 had a higher bid come in with 1 second left on the clock, which makes absolutely no sense to me. The timer resets to 5 minutes if you enter a late bid with less than 3 minutes left. Why not just bid at 3 minutes if you're going to "snipe?"

Every convention I go to, I see Doug there buying up high grade slabs. He advertises that he acquired certain high grade collections. My point here is that it appears most of the books in the auction are probably his. While other auction sites are selling mostly consignment items, Doug uses his own site to sell his own books. Pretty sweet arrangement. Am I wrong here ?

Every convention I go to, I see Doug there buying up high grade slabs. He advertises that he acquired certain high grade collections. My point here is that it appears most of the books in the auction are probably his. While other auction sites are selling mostly consignment items, Doug uses his own site to sell his own books. Pretty sweet arrangement. Am I wrong here ?

One of the reasons this will be my last purchase. Never trust anybody that grades their own paper.

Doug does get consigments and he also sells his own books. He's been in this business as both a collector and a dealer for a long time and knows lots of high grade people.

I wouldn't hire him as a lawyer, but I haven't had an auction experience that's any different than Heritage, ComicLink, or ComicConnect. 2c He responds well to issues, I actually get what I bid on and it arrives safely.

I'm still trying to figure out the GPA<>Pedigree relationship though. If GPA doesn't trust his sales stats, then why do they allow him to advertise on their site?

I guess I lost out when my Pacific Coast copy of FF #12 in cgc 9.0 was sold to Doug, who somehow managed to get it into a Voldemort 9.4 holder (after first getting it into a CGC 9.2 holder) and auction it for double what he paid. The comic mysteriously along the way seems to no longer be flawed by most or all of a small Marvel chip. hm

I'm not going to defend Doug's past but I also don't want another Ewertgate.

The book looks like it still has the prechipping on the right edge.

Also, Voldemart seems to be on the loose side, which would explain the grade bump. That has been my experience over the past year.

Finally, I'm pretty sure Doug does not use Voldemart at all.

I was happy to land Strange Tales 123 9.2 for what I consider a fair price. I don't see that book available too often.

Congrats on the auction win. I recently picked up one of these issues in 9.2 and paid considerably more than you did.

On a different note. Awesome Avatar. Long live Brian Pillman.