• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW ADVENTURE 26

89 posts in this topic

this is what I was thinking. and since Ian is not opposed to marrying books, maybe he can reconstruct the interior, much like he did with that Double Action 2 (?) cover (book?)...

That was Double Action 1. My Double Action 2 is untouched and came out of a blue label CGC slab.

Doesn't Ian face the same (or similar) problem with the Detective #1 issue?

Not at all.

It just has the centrefold missing but in its place is a reproduction of the centrefold which actually looks authentic.

But I would count a comic as "having it" if the centrefold were missing. I would NOT count it as "having it" if the entire interior were missing.

Sorry, bud. Maybe the universe will smile upon you and Deathlok's genitals will finally rot and fall off due to non-usage? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No chance. They'd have fallen off years ago if that were going to happen from non-use.

Of course, given his taste in women, he's far more likely to have them fall off if he does start using them. After he suffers through a few months of painful, pustulating sores, that is.

Sorry, bud. Maybe the universe will smile upon you and Deathlok's genitals will finally rot and fall off due to non-usage? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No chance. They'd have fallen off years ago if that were going to happen from non-use.

Of course, given his taste in women, he's far more likely to have them fall off if he does start using them. After he suffers through a few months of painful, pustulating sores, that is.

"Painful, Pustulating Sores" is his middle name! (He has very long checks.)

1041.jpg

1041.jpg

Ah, Starla... cloud9.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif "He has very long checks." I am going to remember that one.

Only five issues away from the one I need, and listed with a BIN of $179.

That should PROVE my comments about silly pricing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=6515994753&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Before discuss your point here, I should tell you that the 1998 Sotheby's Comic Art and Comic Books Catalog shows that a New Adventure #26 sold along with several other pre-hero NAs. Does anyone know who won that lot?

Now, to your point. First of all, there are seven copies of New Adventure #31 in the CGC census (including the 9.6 Edgar Church copy). There are ZERO copies of NA#26. While the census is not the be-all, end-all of the rarity question, I find those two numbers pretty compelling.

Second, the NA#31 in that auction is in Poor condition with brittle pages and extensive water damage and is literally falling apart. The DTA copy of NA#26 is a VF copy and the second nicest copy that anyone here who has said anything knows to exist for certain.

If Poor copies sell for 1-3% of Guide, then the NM equivalent price of what they're asking here would be between $6,000 and $17,900. A wide range, but DTA's price of $15,000 falls within that range. Given the relative scarcity between #31 and #26, this price of $179 for a Poor copy of #31 does not seem to be out of line with a $15,000 price tag for a VF copy of #26.

I am not saying that you should rush out and pay $15K for the DTA copy, but I don't think that this BIN of $179 on a Poor copy of a more readily available issue shows that his price is too high.

Before discuss your point here, I should tell you that the 1998 Sotheby's Comic Art and Comic Books Catalog shows that a New Adventure #26 sold along with several other pre-hero NAs. Does anyone know who won that lot?

Now, to your point. First of all, there are seven copies of New Adventure #31 in the CGC census (including the 9.6 Edgar Church copy). There are ZERO copies of NA#26. While the census is not the be-all, end-all of the rarity question, I find those two numbers pretty compelling.

Second, the NA#31 in that auction is in Poor condition with brittle pages and extensive water damage and is literally falling apart. The DTA copy of NA#26 is a VF copy and the second nicest copy that anyone here who has said anything knows to exist for certain.

If Poor copies sell for 1-3% of Guide, then the NM equivalent price of what they're asking here would be between $6,000 and $17,900. A wide range, but DTA's price of $15,000 falls within that range. Given the relative scarcity between #31 and #26, this price of $179 for a Poor copy of #31 does not seem to be out of line with a $15,000 price tag for a VF copy of #26.

I am not saying that you should rush out and pay $15K for the DTA copy, but I don't think that this BIN of $179 on a Poor copy of a more readily available issue shows that his price is too high.

Even I might buy one for 1-3% of guide. insane.gif

Only five issues away from the one I need, and listed with a BIN of $179.

That should PROVE my comments about silly pricing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=6515994753&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Good analysis FFB. thumbsup2.gif

By the way, does anyone know whether the VF copy of NAC #26 has any color touch or other forms of restoration done to it? Plus, did DTA send Ian a scan of the book to show that's in VF condition? I mean if the book was consigned to DTA on the phone, maybe he's never even handled or inspected the comic. For all we know, the seller may live in Australia or something. confused-smiley-013.gif

I wish you the very best, Ian, and I hope that you find a copy of the book in a price range you're willing to pay. However, this current auction for NA # 31 doesn't effectively support your assertion that DTA/consignee are trying to price gouge you on the NA # 26, IMO. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I wish you the very best, Ian, and I hope that you find a copy of the book in a price range you're willing to pay. However, this current auction for NA # 31 doesn't effectively support your assertion that DTA/consignee are trying to price gouge you on the NA # 26, IMO. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah but it does make you wonder what the hell happened to #26. I mean was their a printing defect or something why did it disappear and all the numbers around it pop up all the time?

Yeah but it does make you wonder what the hell happened to #26. I mean was their a printing defect or something why did it disappear and all the numbers around it pop up all the time?

The numbers around it are not common by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that some of them survived in slightly greater numbers.

As for what happened to all the copies of NA#26? Best guess is the same thing as what happened to most GA comics from that era. Read to bits and then tossed in the trash.

The numbers around it are not common by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that some of them survived in slightly greater numbers.

As for what happened to all the copies of NA#26? Best guess is the same thing as what happened to most GA comics from that era. Read to bits and then tossed in the trash.

Let's not forget the paper drives during the war (WWII).

If Poor copies sell for 1-3% of Guide, then the NM equivalent price of what they're asking here would be between $6,000 and $17,900.

I think that an argument could be made that this book is closer to a fair than poor.

I know i would glady pay 3% of guide for any Action #1 or Tec #27 that looked like this NA #31.

But - notice you said 1-3% of GUIDE and I think that is a key. Not 1-3% of high grade market value but guide. So really this NA is overpriced at $179 and it is still sitting there - no one is snapping it up even though you are claiming it is a good deal.

And $6,000 to $17,900 is quite a spread - the guide doens't give a spread like that it has a fixed number. One would figure the 1% would be for low demand/common books while the 3% would be for higher demand/rarer books, and even still you are coming up with a top guide of $6000 - a far cry from the $15,000 being asked.

If Poor copies sell for 1-3% of Guide, then the NM equivalent price of what they're asking here would be between $6,000 and $17,900.

I think that an argument could be made that this book is closer to a fair than poor.

I know i would glady pay 3% of guide for any Action #1 or Tec #27 that looked like this NA #31.

But - notice you said 1-3% of GUIDE and I think that is a key. Not 1-3% of high grade market value but guide. So really this NA is overpriced at $179 and it is still sitting there - no one is snapping it up even though you are claiming it is a good deal.

And $6,000 to $17,900 is quite a spread - the guide doens't give a spread like that it has a fixed number. One would figure the 1% would be for low demand/common books while the 3% would be for higher demand/rarer books, and even still you are coming up with a top guide of $6000 - a far cry from the $15,000 being asked.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif you did it now......... devil.gif