• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity of books that cannot be slabbed-New Fun, Master, Jumbo

40 posts in this topic

What is the general consensus on the early golden age oversized comics that can't be slabbed and therefore aren't in the census? I'm referring to New Fun 1-6, Master 1-6, and Jumbo Comics 1-8. Has anyone tried compiling a list of what's out there or estimating just how scarce these books are?

They are tough books to find for sure but somewhat low demand like much of the early pre hero stuff. The lack of slabbing doesn't help much either.

From what I have seen the oversized aspect tends to result in a lot of covers being detached and the paper is often weak. The covers were heavy stock so they hold up somewhat better.

Great early art and pre darn rare but low demand and people rarely even talk much about them so they are often forgotten.

James G

The few times I've bid on any of the first 3 issues of Jumbo, I've been left in the dust. These were low grade books and went for well over guide in each instance.

Not a big enough sample size to be significant, just my personal experience. I'm still hoping to find one at my price!

I've picked up 2 Jumbos this year (#5 and 8), and can easily see how 1) not many survived and 2) how even fewer survived in decent shape. Storing them was tricky because of thier size and the fact that they aren't slabbed; my solution was to put them in an Itoya portfolio with cardboard to support them. I love the way they look, and between New Fun, Jumbo and Master, it's only 20 issues, so that's a reasonable goal. The fact that they turn up so rarely helps since they do tend to go over guide, sometimes WELL over guide!

What is the general consensus on the early golden age oversized comics that can't be slabbed and therefore aren't in the census? I'm referring to New Fun 1-6, Master 1-6, and Jumbo Comics 1-8. Has anyone tried compiling a list of what's out there or estimating just how scarce these books are?

Aren't there others? Like the Feature Books?

Aren't there others? Like the Feature Books?

Do not forget the Big Book of Fun Comics.....

I will leave the Jumbos to Peter......jb

157695.jpg.18de20d229f720a2b21974b3d808d494.jpg

157696.jpg.ca152ff8f6c7a7b4d11354fe588848bf.jpg

157697.jpg.b0d12902d2623e7071a390a5078d686e.jpg

3180320341_3747accab8_o.jpg

I have two jumbo Jumbos, one with a cover and one without.

Paper holds up OK and cover is regular glossy stock.

I also have several Feature Books. The paper is much heavier, almost cardboard.

I saw JB's New Fun Comics once and the cover also seemed glossy like a regular comic.

Jumbo and Feature were not four color interiors.

2338705881_32cd000928_b.jpg

2525802859_ea031eb277_b.jpg