• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The one and only 9.8 ASM 14 up for grabs at HA in Nov

56 posts in this topic

Sweet book. Isn't there a 9.8 of ASM 14 from Voldemort (I hate this name btw)? I think I remember seeing that

I found the image...not going to post it but there is another 9.8 out there. And, I think it looks better than this one.

The Voldemort copy might have better centering but I don't think it's better structurally.

Certainly possible...I haven't had either in hand to look. Just scans.

Either way both are beauties and I'd be ecstatic with either.

ASM 14 9.6

Here is the book I was referring to. Someone like you who's been in the business for years can probably quickly tell me why it's graded as it is. I'm really not trying argue the grade is wrong or take away from the book. I just noticed that edge and was curious why that didn't seem to affect the grade.

Just from what I can see, slight tan line top back cover, slight spine stress center spine, soft bottom spine corner - there might be more but the scans aren't big enough to tell.

CGC is really tough on tan lines, especially in high grades. That alone would keep the book out of 9.8 IMO. I think it's a combination of tiny defects that kept the book down.

You're right though, very nice presenting copy.

Yeah, it has a noticeable stressline in the black box by the Goblin.

Tan line and the stress kept it out of 9.8.

It was on display in Chicago. Great book.

After all these years and so many tries it's almost surreal that there is on one 9.8 copy of this book. I'd expect it to go north of $60K IMO.

Wawawhooey! Would your estimate of 60k drop if I told you I had a short box full of them?

Hey Roy;

Seriously though, is your price estimate of $60K+ based upon only upon the existence of this one lone 9.8 copy being out there or does it take into account the possibility that there are likely other 9.8 copies out there?

Don't you think collectors have matured enough and learned repeatedly from past history that more often then not, CGC highest graded copies of what would otherwise be common Marvel comics are only a passing and temporary phenomenon? (shrug)

I would certainly hope that anybody bidding on this book is basing their bid on the underlying book itself, as opposed to being foolish enough to pay for the hype and marketing of the CGC label which in this particular case really has only transitory value. hm

Yes to all, but in this case you could plausibly argue ( or convince oneself) that it's a gamble worth taking since after 15 years this is the first (and maybe) only 9.8. I'm not bidding, but you COULD make that case convincingly enough assuming you could afford to be wrong.

It was on display in Chicago. Great book.

After all these years and so many tries it's almost surreal that there is on one 9.8 copy of this book. I'd expect it to go north of $60K IMO.

Wawawhooey! Would your estimate of 60k drop if I told you I had a short box full of them?

Hey Roy;

Seriously though, is your price estimate of $60K+ based upon only upon the existence of this one lone 9.8 copy being out there or does it take into account the possibility that there are likely other 9.8 copies out there?

Don't you think collectors have matured enough and learned repeatedly from past history that more often then not, CGC highest graded copies of what would otherwise be common Marvel comics are only a passing and temporary phenomenon? (shrug)

I would certainly hope that anybody bidding on this book is basing their bid on the underlying book itself, as opposed to being foolish enough to pay for the hype and marketing of the CGC label which in this particular case really has only transitory value. hm

....So true. A lot will depend on where the lone defect is on this book (assuming it's a solid 9.8)...... if that black corner logo is spotless and the spine absolutely perfect, it may be able to thrive on it's own merit. It IS an ASM 14, after all...... a book that has the admiration and respect of both completeists and the Key Krowd...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes to all, but in this case you could plausibly argue ( or convince oneself) that it's a gamble worth taking since after 15 years this is the first (and maybe) only 9.8. I'm not bidding, but you COULD make that case convincingly enough assuming you could afford to be wrong.

Yup. There have been quite a few people trying to find a 9.8 of this book for nearly two decades.

@ LouFine -my $60K esrimate is actually the floor for this book, IMO. Not where the auction will end. I think it has a real shot at $100K.

Yup. There have been quite a few people trying to find a 9.8 of this book for nearly two decades.

@ LouFine -my $60K esrimate is actually the floor for this book, IMO. Not where the auction will end. I think it has a real shot at $100K.

..... the truth Roy..... is it a "real" 9.8 ? While viewing the book, did you accept the grade with zero hesitation ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u