• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Annual Baltimore Comic-Con Member Dinner

38 posts in this topic

Didn't want to comment about this, but now that it's not going to happen, I'll offer some thoughts -- yes, these are a lot of work.

I have organized many forum dinners over the years, but stopped, including at least twice doing dinners at the Baltimore show.

The reality is, I found them less and less enjoyable over the years, and it was more fun to have dinners in smaller groups where I could talk to everyone. Also, Steve Borock and I (as well a few others) were always having to kick in extra money to cover a short fall, which started to happen more and more frequently.

The Wizard Chicago dinner is a lot of work for the organizer, but it has a long standing tradition. I'm not sure if a board dinner is really as desirable as it once was, it is, as Joe alludes to, more splinter groups now.

Great info. To chime in from my stand point - comic book guys are kind of like being back in high school. There are a ton of cliques in the industry and a lot of guys don't like hanging out with people that are not in their group.

There are also a lot of us that like meeting new people. Everyone's a stranger until you give them a chance.

I'm there with you - meeting new people at Cons is half the fun.

Didn't want to comment about this, but now that it's not going to happen, I'll offer some thoughts -- yes, these are a lot of work.

I have organized many forum dinners over the years, but stopped, including at least twice doing dinners at the Baltimore show.

The reality is, I found them less and less enjoyable over the years, and it was more fun to have dinners in smaller groups where I could talk to everyone. Also, Steve Borock and I (as well a few others) were always having to kick in extra money to cover a short fall, which started to happen more and more frequently.

The Wizard Chicago dinner is a lot of work for the organizer, but it has a long standing tradition. I'm not sure if a board dinner is really as desirable as it once was, it is, as Joe alludes to, more splinter groups now.

Great info. To chime in from my stand point - comic book guys are kind of like being back in high school. There are a ton of cliques in the industry and a lot of guys don't like hanging out with people that are not in their group.

There are also a lot of us that like meeting new people. Everyone's a stranger until you give them a chance.

That's true, but organizing it through a dinner etc. is a fair amount of work. So is even attending it for me. For a large group of 15 or 20 people, most places won't take a standard reservation or require a set menu. That requires more money and a certain type of place, most with a private room. Most of the board members I eventually will come across on the show floor, and when I've met them, obviously it can be a good experience.

But in a dinner setting, it's no longer something I'm generally interested in participating in. And I think a lot of the older board members have already been through this. If there's a new crop interested, then go ahead and do it. But understand you really have to lobby people to come, then get them to pay, and make it attractive (try and get neal adams or somebody cool to the dinner). Plus, many newer board members are often interested in engaging in conversations we've had a zillion times over. Many of us who have fractured know each other so well that we're not even talking comics anymore, but rather things about our real lives. So when Joe, Watson, Greg and others get together, it's not a meet and greet but rather already formed friendships. It's hard to break through and it's frankly less attractive to spend a bunch of time at a dinner with new folks. You're exhausted from the show and whatever else, so it's hard to motivate to go hang out with a bunch of people who won't be on your wavelength.

But the new people should make an effort (as this guy here did) but he just didn't get the response.

At any rate, there's a reason why these dinners aren't getting off the ground. Part of it is desire, and part of it is expense and availability.

The forum dinners can be great, but my time with them has passed. But I still enjoy meeting new board members, but prefer it in a more one on one situation.

New people scare me :fear:

New people scare me :fear:

With your briefcase, I'd guess you scare new people a bit more. :devil:

Maybe we can get Greggy to be our 'special' guest?

Greggy is definitely "special" enough.

I'd be willing to bet you could get pretty much anyone from the boards to show up for a Con dinner if you paid for their food and drinks.

I'd be open to meet for drinks on Friday night.

Count me in. Not like I have to be up early. Depending on how many deals I find I could be buying the first round.

Maybe we can get Greggy to be our 'special' guest?

Please invite him so I don't have to have dinner with him!!!!

Other than the dinner on Wednesday, I don't expect to see your face outside of the con so suck it, loser.

That's true, but organizing it through a dinner etc. is a fair amount of work. So is even attending it for me. For a large group of 15 or 20 people, most places won't take a standard reservation or require a set menu. That requires more money and a certain type of place, most with a private room. Most of the board members I eventually will come across on the show floor, and when I've met them, obviously it can be a good experience.

But in a dinner setting, it's no longer something I'm generally interested in participating in. And I think a lot of the older board members have already been through this. If there's a new crop interested, then go ahead and do it. But understand you really have to lobby people to come, then get them to pay, and make it attractive (try and get neal adams or somebody cool to the dinner). Plus, many newer board members are often interested in engaging in conversations we've had a zillion times over. Many of us who have fractured know each other so well that we're not even talking comics anymore, but rather things about our real lives. So when Joe, Watson, Greg and others get together, it's not a meet and greet but rather already formed friendships. It's hard to break through and it's frankly less attractive to spend a bunch of time at a dinner with new folks. You're exhausted from the show and whatever else, so it's hard to motivate to go hang out with a bunch of people who won't be on your wavelength.

But the new people should make an effort (as this guy here did) but he just didn't get the response.

At any rate, there's a reason why these dinners aren't getting off the ground. Part of it is desire, and part of it is expense and availability.

The forum dinners can be great, but my time with them has passed. But I still enjoy meeting new board members, but prefer it in a more one on one situation.

It sounds nice, someday I hope to make a friend or two on the boards :cloud9:

You won't

You won't

Quote fail :baiting:

Instead of dinner or whatever, you guys and gals could always go over to the Geppi Entertainment Museum and check it out. It's much cooler and cheaper than food. ;)

Just don't wait until the day after the show.

I learned the hard way that they are closed on Mondays.