• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have a cover scan of Black Magic #28 (V4 #4)?

14 posts in this topic

Working on a black magic run, but I'm afriad I haven't got that one frown.gif

Have you ever seen it? Just curious what the cover is since Overstreet makes it sound a bit more horrific than some of the other covers in the title.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Can't say that I have seen it...even though I'm working on the run, there's probably about 15 or so issues that I've never seen. The fact that so many of them are missing from the photojournal doesn't help. frown.gif

Have you ever seen it? Just curious what the cover is since Overstreet makes it sound a bit more horrific than some of the other covers in the title.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I think the cover is pretty routine. I looked in the current Overstreet and they don't mention anything special about the cover. What edition are you looking at?

The book is still well worth getting. It contains an early Ditko story.

black_magic_28.jpg

I think it's a fairly cool cover, though more for the horror that is implied rather than seen - if the eyeless guy was facing us and the empty sockets visible this would probably be a "classic". Unfortunately on the covers of both their crime and horror books S&K shied away from overtly gruesome images. Considering Kirby's status in the world of comic fandom, I always found it curious that Gerber chose to omit so many Black Magic covers.

Yes, and Black Magic doesn't seem to be a priority title even for horror collectors. I have a couple myself, but it is a title that is on the back burner as far as active pursuit. It will probably be among the last I try to complete. I do like this particular cover, though.

Yes, and Black Magic doesn't seem to be a priority title even for horror collectors. I have a couple myself, but it is a title that is on the back burner as far as active pursuit. It will probably be among the last I try to complete. I do like this particular cover, though.

This is one of the reasons I decided to try and go for a nice run of the title. It is not considered a hot series, so you can get some great simon and kirby stuff for reasonable prices. Plus, I like the fact that you can watch this series struggle as a post-code book for nearly a decade...I just find it interesting to watch the way the book mutated so many times with so many different volumes.

Plus, there are even some post-code Black Magics that are real gems. Like this one!

BlackMagicHitlerCover.jpg

That is indeed an interesting cover, especially for a post code. Shrunk, you are one of the few guys I know that are pursuing the series. I bet that means you are getting some good deals, huh?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, can't complain. I've put together a very nice highgrade batch of Black Magics, and have very rarely paid over guide. It is a fun series to go after, as there are 50 books in the run when you add up all the incarnations/volumes. Here are some more of the winners in my run thus far.

blackmagic24.jpg

Wouldja believe I got this one from Milehigh last year, already slabbed and for 30 bucks?

BlackMagicEggman.jpg

A very nice one from blazing Bob. thumbsup2.gif

BlackMagic.jpg

And here's the granpappy yay.gif

BlackMagic1.jpg

There was a copy on ebay within the last 3-4 months, I think. I seem to recall it went for pretty decent money for the grade, but the Ditko issues seem to attract more bidders in general.

That was my copy, it went for $5 under guide in VG. The copy I saw sell about 2 years ago went for 2x guide in VG, so it has cooled off a bit. It was known as a tougher issue to find.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I think the cover is pretty routine. I looked in the current Overstreet and they don't mention anything special about the cover. What edition are you looking at?

The book is still well worth getting. It contains an early Ditko story.

black_magic_28.jpg

Thanks for the scan. thumbsup2.gif

It was last year's guide, but I could be misremembering the particular issue. I was reading through a bunch of the listings for pre-code horror (shouldn't hang around here so much stooges.gif), so I may have been depraved.

Thanks again,

Fan4Fan