• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC swipes?

15 posts in this topic

That's a cool cover, and one I wasn't aware of. I'd call that more of an homage than a swipe though. I'm looking more for examples of more blatant contemporary rip offs of EC images by other pre-code horror publishers. One example is the cover of Beware #6 which was swiped from the splash page in Vault of Horror #26:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well here's a novelty for ya.

In the original "Back To The Future" flick, Michael J Fox and his time traveling DeLorean initially crash land in a barn, in 1955. The residents are awakened by the noise, father, mother, and two kids, and come out and open one of the barn doors partially. They see him in what looks like an other worldly getup, really just a protective suit with helmet, and one of the kids ventures that he's from another planet, while holding (a close up of) this book;

161gb9d.jpg

So it's a swipe of the EC style.

Has that prop ever come up for sale? That's pretty cool! Someone should do a post on fake comics from movies; I remember about 10 years ago when the 2 issues of Creepshow that were used in that movie came up for sale (they were just covers wrapped around other comics, if I'm remembering correctly). Thanks for the share.

What I posted is a scan of the actual prop; I own it. It's wrapped around "Love Stories", January 1973. The cover graphic is pasted onto the original book's cover. I also have a second copy of the Tales From Space cover (studios always have a protection copy).

Glad you liked it.

Super cool! Is it for sale? :devil:

Eh eh, I think you know the answer to that question. ;)

lol But in all seriousness, I'd love to hear the story of how you acquired them if you don't mind sharing.

I retired from the motion picture industry 10 years ago, and would have acquired them previous to that. Unfortunately I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, let alone the specifics of anything from a dozen or more years ago.

What I believe occurred, given that I was a studio driver and often drove for set dressing crews, picking up furniture and props from various prop houses, and the property departments of different studios, was that I saw them at one of our stops, most likely the prop department at Universal Studios, and was given permission to take them. After all, they would never be used again in film production.

They were simply a novelty to me, during a period when I was avidly collecting.

I never really expected that they would acquire any value. What do you think they would be worth today?

I think you have something that would be highly collectable there fifties! BTTF is a well known franchise and a classic pop culture movie. Crossover interest from movie and comic book fans and I'd bet they'd go for some serious $$$! Thanks for sharing the story! (thumbs u