• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mycomicshop.com question

86 posts in this topic

For mega-sellers it's probably a tough call. If they can weed out the 1% that's creating 80% of returns and conflicts, they'd almost have to. A reaction no different than Threads here where dozens of posts quickly appear "what's the user name so I can block them?"

That line between 'prudent business practice' and overkill has to be a perilous one. No quality outfit wants to toss hard won customers.

I would guess its a case by case basis. If you buy 10-20 comics and have anissue with 1 or 2, and you notify them in a timely fashion and are polite, you're probably not going on a list.

IF you disagree on 8-9 out of 10 comics and are rude about it, they'd probably rather not deal with you going forward.

Of course there's a lot that can go on in between those examples, and how they handle those are what makes the difference in good/bad businesses.

For mega-sellers it's probably a tough call. If they can weed out the 1% that's creating 80% of returns and conflicts, they'd almost have to. A reaction no different than Threads here where dozens of posts quickly appear "what's the user name so I can block them?"

That line between 'prudent business practice' and overkill has to be a perilous one. No quality outfit wants to toss hard won customers.

Yup. The customer is NOT always right.

I'm sure they have banned a few problem people but that's a far cry from saying if you return something, they will ban you.

As a general rule, if there is a comic that I want at MyComicShop and it's listed as a Fine+ (7.0) or better, then it would be a 10+ on the Ebay grading scale. So I will usually snag it.

Mycomicshop tends to undergrade IMO by about 1 to 2 full points on most items. The "worst" graded raw book I'd ever received from them was accurately graded. That is, it was advertised as a VF+ and it was a VF+.

The only real negative I can say about them is that some of their consignments are crazy high. But that's not really their fault, as a consignment is what it is.

-Terry

That's the attitude of someone who isn't looking to grow their business.

First off MCS is awesome and my favorite place to buy books from. They get a ton of my business. They have a couple small issues but overall are excellent.

TO answer the OP question, If you see a book that looks 9.0 plus and they are grading it a 6.0 it usually will have a NCB crease somewhere on the book that you can't see on a scan. MCS hammers creases even if they are the lighter NCB kind.

MCS will list any kind of issues you can't see such a MCS removed, popped staples, split spines etc.

I'm sure they have banned a few problem people but that's a far cry from saying if you return something, they will ban you.

And it's probably a safe bet that if someone did get caught up in an weird exchange that derailed they could most likely email Este or Conan directly and quickly sort it out. You know, if it was some anomaly and not an ongoing purchasing pattern, and they want to remain a customer.

So much obviously silly about this statement. For someone to even suggest they know better about growing a business than MCS, the #1 online comic retailer, so you know better and have a business that is growing better than MCS? MCS responsiveness is top notch, their grading strict, their packing bomb proof, their online offerings crazy extensive and they are growing their consignment side and getting prices you would be hard pressed to get elsewhere for consignment rates lower than competition.

And the deal is every smart business must get rid of that handful of customers who dont know that they are trouble, who think they are rational, but are responsible for the majority of complaints.

I disagree, as someone who runs a small business (not comic related).

So much obviously silly about this statement. For someone to even suggest they know better about growing a business than MCS, the #1 online comic retailer, so you know better and have a business that is growing better than MCS? MCS responsiveness is top notch, their grading strict, their packing bomb proof, their online offerings crazy extensive and they are growing their consignment side and getting prices you would be hard pressed to get elsewhere for consignment rates lower than competition.

And the deal is every smart business must get rid of that handful of customers who dont know that they are trouble, who think they are rational, but are responsible for the majority of complaints.

First of all, I'm a potential customer and they turned me off just by coming on this forum and telling us they ban people. That was it for me and I buy a lot of comics. Perhaps not raw but I buy plenty of slabs. More than the average comic collector so when you say my comment is silly...well I find yours very silly as well.

And being the #1 online retailer (where this fact comes from I don't know) that means nothing to me and shouldn't to others when you are a customer. It's called Caveat Emptor or let the buyer beware. Do your research. There are plenty of "#1 dealers" out there that don't get my business.

I don't buy from someone because their business is #1. I buy based on how i'm treated, how I see the company treating other customers, price, value, etc.

They may be #1 and have grown but I bet it's not from this forum and coming on here spouting that they ban customers. And, I'm willing to bet this forum is a very small fraction of the business they do. I'm speaking from my own experience....they lost me on their posts. That's the truth. Truth hurts sometimes.

No, it's a reflection of the fact that some people are either irrational, unreasonable or just not worth doing business with for whatever reason. I'm sure the majority of business owners would agree that the saying 'the customer is always right' is not wholely accurate.

No, it's a reflection of the fact that some people are either irrational, unreasonable or just not worth doing business with for whatever reason. I'm sure the majority of business owners would agree that the saying 'the customer is always right' is not wholely accurate.

I think the % of customers who we as business people have to "fire" or "ban" is extremely small.

I've only let go of a client twice in my almost 20 years of doing business. It's not comic business but it's business.

There are plenty of demanding customers who may get under your skin. I deal with it often (almost daily) but if I decided that all those customers who get under my skin should be let go also...I would never grow my business.

I see getting rid of a customer as a very rare occurrence in one's business. I saw it happening with MCS several times over the past few years. That's too much for my tastes.

If you as a business owner think it's good policy to ban anyone who gives you a little trouble..then I think it's not a recipe for growth.

If someone comes in to my grocery store every day at lunch and buys a peach. Eats 2/3 of it outside the store, then walks back in trying to return it for being 'gross' and no one else ever returns peaches, at some point I'm gonna stop selling to that guy.

If someone comes into my comic book shop every week and reads entire comics while damaging them, then doesn't even buy them, I'd consider asking them to stop and/or pay for the comics and then banning them if necessary.

Of course issues should be resolved amicably with deference to potential customers IF POSSIBLE, but sometimes that's simply not possible.

It's impossible to please everyone in any field. There will always be people that no matter what you do will drain time and resources. The irrational or unreasonable minority can sink a small business even if they are just a minority. The larger the business the more you can handle, generally speaking.

I think the % of customers who we as business people have to "fire" or "ban" is extremely small.

I've only let go of a client twice in my almost 20 years of doing business. It's not comic business but it's business.

There are plenty of demanding customers who may get under your skin. I deal with it often (almost daily) but if I decided that all those customers who get under my skin should be let go also...I would never grow my business.

I see getting rid of a customer as a very rare occurrence in one's business. I saw it happening with MCS several times over the past few years. That's too much for my tastes.

If you as a business owner think it's good policy to ban anyone who gives you a little trouble..then I think it's not a recipe for growth.

That's not what i said, though... I said the customer is not always right. You disagreed, which means that you believe the customer is always right. So that means you let your client go even if you thought they were right.

I was talking about people like your client, where letting them go was the right thing to do for YOUR business.

So which is it? Is the customer ALWAYS right or not?

That's not what i said, though... I said the customer is not always right. You disagreed, which means that you believe the customer is always right. So that means you let your client go even if you thought they were right.

I was talking about people like your client, where letting them go was the right thing to do for YOUR business.

So which is it? Is the customer ALWAYS right or not?

You actually capitalized the NOT before... not the ALWAYS. But you are correct NOT ALWAYS.

I guess what I'm saying is the customer should be right 99.9% of the time.

Ok?

It's impossible to please everyone in any field. There will always be people that no matter what you do will drain time and resources. The irrational or unreasonable minority can sink a small business even if they are just a minority. The larger the business the more you can handle, generally speaking.

I agree completely. I believe most successful businesses will go out of their way to please customers and satisfy customers, but in the real world, you can not please every customer no matter how hard the business may try.

First of all, I'm a potential customer and they turned me off just by coming on this forum and telling us they ban people. That was it for me and I buy a lot of comics. Perhaps not raw but I buy plenty of slabs. More than the average comic collector so when you say my comment is silly...well I find yours very silly as well.

And being the #1 online retailer (where this fact comes from I don't know) that means nothing to me and shouldn't to others when you are a customer. It's called Caveat Emptor or let the buyer beware. Do your research. There are plenty of "#1 dealers" out there that don't get my business.

I don't buy from someone because their business is #1. I buy based on how i'm treated, how I see the company treating other customers, price, value, etc.

They may be #1 and have grown but I bet it's not from this forum and coming on here spouting that they ban customers. And, I'm willing to bet this forum is a very small fraction of the business they do. I'm speaking from my own experience....they lost me on their posts. That's the truth. Truth hurts sometimes.

I'd have to see the post you are referring to because that doesn't sound like Conan at all, and I believe he is the only person from MCS who posts here.

Years ago, his father Buddy could be difficult to deal with at times, and their customer service woman with the british accent is pretty useless and can be a bit rude but I learned how to avoid her. If you call and she answers, engage her for a moment and then ask her to hold on while you get something. Call back on your cell and you'll get another rep since she is on hold with your first call.

I generally only deal with their auction and consignment departments, where customer service is top notch.

I'd have to see the post you are referring to because that doesn't sound like Conan at all, and I believe he is the only person from MCS who posts here.

I have a vague memory of it happening I think. But I think one would have to take into account that MCS is the #1 or #2 online retailer, meaning that they have a zillion transactions. Even if they banned 5 - 20 people over the past 3 years, having 20 bans resulting from like 50,000 orders doesn't seem too unreasonable. *note that all number are pulled out of thin air.