• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mycomicshop.com question

86 posts in this topic

I'm a fairly regular customer at MCS. My last transaction involved a TOS 43 and 45 and a Strange Tales 102. All 3 books were graded 4.5 raw.

Got them home and thought WOW! Really sharp, clean books. I subbed them a few weeks later and ended up: Strange Tales 102-6.5 White, TOS 43 and 45 were both 5,5 OWW.

I've always found their grading to be tough. No problems with MCS in my eyes,

I order from them regularly and a month or so ago a box I received was damaged during shipping and the corners of all 4 books were crushed. The order must have been around the time when they switched to a brown shipping box from white and they were trying a few new things with shipping that they hadn't with my prior orders. When I called to report the damage the return process was explained to me and when I inquired about the change in packaging I was told that Buddy would like to hear about it and I was given his email. I sent him an email describing the damage and I had some questions for him. He responded very promptly, he immediately took care of the problem and he was very courteous.

When I saw in the MCS newsletter that he was in Connecticut to accept an award I emailed him to congratulate him and also to mention that all subsequent orders were received without problem and we conversed for a bit.

I can only speak from my personal experience but all my dealing with Buddy and MCS have been great and the one problem I had was dealt with perfectly in my eyes. They are my first choice when buying books.

I'm a fairly regular customer at MCS. My last transaction involved a TOS 43 and 45 and a Strange Tales 102. All 3 books were graded 4.5 raw.

Got them home and thought WOW! Really sharp, clean books. I subbed them a few weeks later and ended up: Strange Tales 102-6.5 White, TOS 43 and 45 were both 5,5 OWW.

I've always found their grading to be tough. No problems with MCS in my eyes,

My biggest problem is that ,at auction, people bid on their raw 4.5s as if they are 5.5s or better.

Great when I sell, not so good when I am bargain hunting.

My biggest problem is that ,at auction, people bid on their raw 4.5s as if they are 5.5s or better.

Great when I sell, not so good when I am bargain hunting.

I ran into a weird thing I had to think about. I consigned a book to auction that graded 8.5 (my reaction: woooah, man, harsh). Then at the end it made bank, waaay way better than eBay. (my reaction: yesohyesohYES! )

So I quickly pulled another and got it consigned for the next auction. This time: 9.4 (my reaction: alright! that's more like it, here we go...). In the end it sold for much less, and only a few bucks more than someone else's 8.5 it was listed against.

??? Weird. After thinking about it, my conclusion: Bidders didn't think they could afford the 9.4 so didn't bother to bid. Concentrated on the 8.5, driving it up. (But collectively, the two combined, I still made out just fine. :) )

So: There may be some bargains in the upper range if mid-range is going wild. Just sayin'. ;)

Perhaps the thought process is the 8.5 might be closer to a 9.0, but the 9.4 won't be much better.

agree, people like thinking they're getting better value for the price.

Perhaps the thought process is the 8.5 might be closer to a 9.0, but the 9.4 won't be much better.
Yeah, maybe. I really don't know. My 8.5 went for $80 (eBay NM avg $50), then my 9.4 did $58. I just thought it weird (and was hoping lightening might strike twice :grin: )

Only if you apply more peroxide...

Yeah, maybe. I really don't know. My 8.5 went for $80 (eBay NM avg $50), then my 9.4 did $58. I just thought it weird (and was hoping lightening might strike twice :grin: )

There have been a time or two that I've gotten a 9.4 cheaper than the same book in 9.2 in the same auction. Some were even slabbed.

Sounds like one of those crazy bidding wars that we all hope to be the seller for. I was going to try to guess which book it was but there is just too many books that go fro $50 in NM.

There have been a time or two that I've gotten a 9.4 cheaper than the same book in 9.2 in the same auction. Some were even slabbed.

I've never sold on mycomicshop but the past prices realized on there kind of scare me away. At least on ComicLink I can expect to get 10 - 20% under GPA so there is some comfort there. On MCS the prices will be 10% over one time and then 10% under the next. My heart likes it better if I just expect to lose money instead of getting my hopes up.

I've never sold on mycomicshop but the past prices realized on there kind of scare me away. At least on ComicLink I can expect to get 10 - 20% under GPA so there is some comfort there. On MCS the prices will be 10% over one time and then 10% under the next. My heart likes it better if I just expect to lose money instead of getting my hopes up.

Its the raw books that generally go well above the ebay prices.

I priced my first set of consignment books with them a few weeks ago.

Most are $25-85 but one book really spiked in the last few years and I priced it accordingly.

No activity in the few weeks listed.

tem Status

All American Men of War (1952) 115 FN/VF 7.0 For sale: $35.00 Set price or put in auction

Flash (1959 1st Series DC) Annual 1 VG 4.0 For sale: $85.00 Set price or put in auction

GI Combat (1952) 89 FR/GD 1.5

4" cumulative spine split, cover detached. For sale: $25.00 Set price or put in auction

GI Combat (1952) 117 VG/FN 5.0

Water damage along edges. For sale: $35.00 Set price or put in auction

GI Combat (1952) 129 VF 8.0 For sale: $55.00 Set price or put in auction

Marvel Super Heroes (1967 1st Series) 18 FN+ 6.5 For sale: $375.00 Set price or put in auction

Our Army at War (1952) 93 FR/GD 1.5

Cover detached. For sale: $25.00 Set price or put in auction

Punisher (1986 1st Series) 1 FN+ 6.5 For sale: $50.00 Set price or put in auction

Are these priced too high? sorry for the messy cut and paste.

Here are a couple more books i added in my last trade

fc1231DangerMan_zpsb1a9c66e.jpg

fc1218Fury_zpsf1848d1b.jpg

Sounds like one of those crazy bidding wars that we all hope to be the seller for. I was going to try to guess which book it was but there is just too many books that go fro $50 in NM.
Story hint: The day of publication I pulled one from my LCS's counter-top display to add to my stack. I drove home, sat down and read it.

Closed it, stood back up, got back in the car, drove back and bought every one in the display (and should of bought the display too), tucked them away. Two things happened since then: (1) they reprinted it a gazillion times (which I didn't think of at the time) and (2) they still appreciated nicely in spite of that.

Guess before peeking. :)

Batman: The Killing Joke 1st Eds.

The thing with setting MCS consignment prices is if you set them at FMV or aggressive they show up on eBay with all MCS's listing costs + commission tacked on to a BIN. In other words, the listing itself can be eye-popping and if it's not a red-hot must-have barn-burner it may sit there a month or twelve.

If your heart can take it and you want to sell it's so much easier to go with their auctions, let the chips fall where they may. imho. 2c

The thing with setting MCS consignment prices is if you set them at FMV or aggressive they show up on eBay with all MCS's listing costs + commission tacked on to a BIN. In other words, the listing itself can be eye-popping and if it's not a red-hot must-have barn-burner it may sit there a month or twelve.

If your heart can take it and you want to sell it's so much easier to go with their auctions, let the chips fall where they may. imho. 2c

If you are getting $84 for a VF+ Killing Joke I'd roll them dice also. Very nice sale.

Este is seriously worth her weight in gold. The very few problems I have ever had she took care of straight away. Overall, The MCS grading is super tight, and it can be a little frustrating at times, but as previously mentioned the VF-'s that are legitimate CGC 9.2+'s get decent money in spit of the under grading. I think it's becoming pretty well known with repeat costumers that they under grade, and sales reflect that. I know that personally I hate assigning the grade VF- or Fine- or any grade with a minus after it. It just sounds bad to me. I'll do it, but it bothers the heck out of me. Most people can tell from my sales threads that I am way more likely to call a book a 5.0 than call it a 5.5 even if it probably would be a legit 5.5. MCS seems to prefer the "-" grade way more than I do, so I do get frustrated by that, but that's my own bias playing in. On consignment items bought from MCS I would be shocked if out of 100 books purchased 95 wouldn't grade higher at CGC. Their packaging is also better than anyone's.